Post by subs5
Since there hasn't been any region stating that they agree (yet since it appears one is still having a discussion), I'll take that as no consensus will be obtained for national guidance. So will draft up the MAR exemption for the applicable regional and state and Capitol City pages.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 3
Send a message

Post by t0cableguy
Considering this should hopefully happen "soon"
Here are two real world examples for the Continue Straight option.

A realistic example of a continue straight instruction. It has a BGS and is not the BC for this road. In fact BC is a left turn going westbound and a right turn going eastbound.

https://i.imgur.com/uBB7ffR.png

Same for this location. World Center Drive ends at this location and enters SR-417. There is no prompt at this location (and its a toll road). the mH turns north, changes to International Drive's southern terminus, which is a prompted left turn. A continue straight is very much needed at this location, especially considering the tourist aspect of this location.
https://i.imgur.com/UnZNjE4.png
t0cableguy
Send a message
I'm no longer editing. Please don't contact me with things regarding Waze, unless you want the info on how to take over the SE URcomments list. Then email or send me a message on GHO at gmail.com t0cableguy@

t0cableguy
Send a message
I'm no longer editing. Please don't contact me with things regarding Waze, unless you want the info on how to take over the SE URcomments list. Then email or send me a message on GHO at gmail.com t0cableguy@

Post by Trexer0
kodi75 wrote:Can the TIO Wazeopedia page be updated to clarify whether TIO affects (displayed) turn-by turn navigation instructions in the app, or is this only a verbal override.

While the speaker icon may be intuitive, when the page details "turn instructions" it's not clear if it's for both.
I would just like to reiterate this concern. I have visited the wiki page many times but was under the impression this was simply a verbal override.
Trexer0
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by unlimited1808
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
Machete808 wrote:is there going to be national guidance on when it's appropriate to implement a "Continue" prompt? In other words: Should every freeway entrance which is a basic continuation from a feeder street be notated with a "Continue"? Or is this going to be a state/regional preference?
I would like to have some standard national guidance, yes. The example you provided is good for documenting. Map-based examples would be good to have.
I can think of 1 off the top of my head that I've been waiting for a continue prompt to apply it.

Intersection of Front and Market St with ramp to I-95 South, Philadelphia - Market St ends at Front but you continue straight across Front to the ramp for I-95 South. I solved it a couple months ago with a "stay left" because Market is 2 lanes, one way east, and the left lane is left turn or continue straight. It's the best we had and stopped the URs from coming in, but a "continue straight" would be better IMO.

I have a couple more that I think would be good to have a continue instruction, but they could be argued against as well.
unlimited1808
Send a message
Last edited by unlimited1808 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by unlimited1808
Nagamasa wrote:
GeekDriverPeaceful wrote:I would also say that changes in local street name would warrant a continue straight instruction.
I disagree with this blanket TIO, since often times E/W/N/S change, neighbourhood streets change names as they cross a PS, etc., that it would be relatively overwhelming to include these in (i.e., an inefficient use of editor resources and should ask Waze to change the TTS rules.)
I mostly agree. There are times when this would be useful. But a blanket application is too much IMO.
unlimited1808
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I like the recently-proposed changes to this page (especially the part warning us to avoid using TIO at all costs). As soon as that change goes live, I would like to follow on with an additional clarification.

I am thinking about the section "Streets not meeting at right angles".
I would like to change the text here:
FROMWhen streets meet at some kind of diagonal, the default turn instruction may end up being a "stay to the left/right" even though the driver would consider it a left or right turn.
TO Something LikeWhen streets meet at some kind of diagonal, the default turn instruction may end up being "stay to the left/right" or "exit left/right" even though the driver would consider it a left or right turn.
The current wording just caused some confusion among senior editors during the PA basemap mapraid, because the example lists ONLY a situation where the command would be "keep" when the physical situation is "turn", and because it does not cover the transition mH > street. Coupled with the admonition not to "use TIOs because you don't like Waze default behavior", this leaves users wondering how to interpret this section.

Here's the case: the transition from a narrow rural mH to street - surface street to surface street (even though it is on the side of a hill) Here's the permalink.

This is exactly the kind of situation where editors would have used a mDL to coax an appropriate command from Waze. Turn, not exit. I think TIO is appropriate, and I think the page, as it currently stands, leads many experienced editors to conclude accepted guidance is not to use a TIO here.

What do you think?
TurnNotExit.JPG
This is a turn, not an exit
(28.3 KiB) Downloaded 440 times
StreetsNotMeetingAtRightAngles.JPG
streets not meeting at right angles, transition mH > street gets "exit" command
(17.24 KiB) Downloaded 428 times
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I agree TIO are hard to spot without script help. I think we should continue to ask Waze team to enhance the WME UI so we can spot TIOs more easily.

Following some discussions with a few editors, I propose new wording for Streets not meeting at right angles. Would this make sense?

https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Us ... ght_angles

is proposed to replace

https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Tu ... ght_angles
voludu2
Send a message