Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

"Timeout" period in handling Update Requests

Post by LostInMyMaps
Thank you for your proposal ituajr, I strongly agree with, and support the change. It seems like a natural extension of the existing etiquette to promote harmony between editors, and maintain consistency of communication between editors and reporters. This change fills a hole in the etiquette guidelines that seem to have been overlooked.
LostInMyMaps
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 7
Answers: 7

POSTER_ID:17551969

Send a message
Brendan (LostInMyMaps)
Global Champ, Coordinator, Volunteer Map Editor
Waze Australia

https://i.imgur.com/pdUHgo3.png

Join me in the Waze Australia Discord Server | Australia Wiki | New Aussie Editor Link

Post by F1r3foxx
I think there if we are waiting for an update from a reporter, and there has been no response in 7 days, I am more than happy for another editor to prompt the reporter for a response.

In terms of another editor "taking over" one of my URs, I don't mind if the UR looks abandoned and I have received a 'prompt' from the other editor. If I still don't respond, then I am happy for the other editor to take over after 7 days of no response.

It is possible, depending on context, that a UR should not be taken over after 21 days. For example we may be waiting for Google maps to fix a location or something.

Perhaps we need to remove the paragraph altogether, and create a flowchart specifically for multiple editors/taking over abandoned URs?
F1r3foxx
Send a message

Post by rbrdly
Hi guys.

Please note that I am very new to this - so I might be missing some important 'back of house' steps that need to be considered.

Regardless, this discussion will be a good opportunity for me to learn :)

If the primary purpose of the period extension to 21 days is to address the etiquette problem, I'm not sure it is the right solution.

It simply extends/delays the time during which an overenthusiastic editor can close another editor's UR.

I understand that it allows more time for a genuine discussion to take place, but I fear that is going to be a different source of frustration by allowing URs to linger far longer than we would like if there is no response.

I read somewhere that the original reporter may have no avenue to communicate with an editor after the UR has been raised.
If that's the case - we will now have FAR more unanswered UR's waiting a minimum of 3 times longer, to be closed.

If you want to fix the etiqutte problem - I think that needs to be handled more directly with the offender, and they should be 'encouraged' to prompt the first responder at all times.

Perhaps something like ...

If the first responder hasn't received a response from the reporter in 7 days, another editor can prompt the first responder.

If 7 days after that there is no response from either reporter, or first responder, the UR can be closed?
rbrdly
Send a message

Post by rbrdly
The problem, it would appear, is that people aren't following the "do not close someone else's UR" rule.

And you're focussing on the time they have to wait, rather than the bit that actually matters.

Changing the number of days they have to wait from 7 to 21 - is not changing the rules.

If they want to chase points, now they wait 21 days instead of 7, and do exactly the same thing.
And they can STILL point to the guidelines and say they're doing the right thing.

What does this change achieve?

The rule should simply be "do not close a UR that you are not the first responder of".
Then, it doesn't matter what number of days you put in there.

The wait period is irrelevent to this discussion.
rbrdly
Send a message

Post by rbrdly
Yeah - a bit of respect would go a long way.

On one hand - I don't want others closing my URs.

On the other hand - The editor map cluttered with unanswered URs is also not ideal.
Extending the timeout period will make that significantly worse.
rbrdly
Send a message

Post by russblau
I have no problem with another editor closing a UR to which I previously responded, if the original reporter hasn’t provided any information. I do have a problem with other editors closing a UR if I’ve started a conversation with the reporter. At least they ought to check with me before closing the report. Perhaps this distinction could be incorporated into the guidance.
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message