[Script] WME Image Overlays (1.4.0)

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, Glodenox, JustinS83

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] WME Image Overlays (1.1.0)

Postby Glodenox » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:39 am

I'm sorry to hear that is happening. Could you tell me which image you tried to store? I'm sort of suspecting the Indexed DB system I'm using in the background can't handle big images too well.

A more technical question: do you happen to see any error messages within the web console of the WME page? You can check the web console by pressing Ctrl+Shift+i at the page and selecting the Console tab in either Firefox or Chrome. It's probably best to filter the results by entering "Image Overlays". The messages about the user-info element not being available yet are normal.

I'm also starting to wonder whether I should support other ways of including an image as well. Do you guys think it would be practical if you could provide a link to an image instead? In my usage of the script I haven't really had a situation where I could just refer to an image that is available online. The big downsides I see is that the image could be blocked if it gets loaded within the WME (which will only be visible next time you try to use it due to caching) AND that the image could get removed over time on the source website.
Script Writing Community Coordinator
[ img ][ img ]
Glodenox
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Glodenox » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:49 pm

(we've continued on the issue in PM)

I've just been reading into it more. It seems like Chrome has recently adjusted how it decides whether something gets persisted over sessions. I think I'll need to explicitly ask permission for persistent storage. Either way, I'll look into it.
[ img ][ img ]
Glodenox
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Glodenox » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:37 pm

I've been investigating the issue of persistent storage a bit more.

In Firefox I will make the script pop up a prompt that asks whether the data may be stored persistently. This way it will become very unlikely that the data would ever by removed by the browser.

In Google Chrome there is no way to ask for this permission. I can only check whether data is stored persistently or not and decide to display a warning to notify you when it isn't. Chrome will only allow the persistent storage if one of the following conditions is true:
  • The site is bookmarked (and the user has 5 or less bookmarks)
  • The site has high site engagement
  • The site has been added to home screen
  • The site has push notifications enabled
Not ideal, but it's the best I can do.
[ img ][ img ]
Glodenox
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: [Script] WME Image Overlays (1.2.0)

Postby Glodenox » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:47 pm

Version 1.2.0 has just been released with the new persistent storage permission request whenever you add a new image overlay. If you are using Google Chrome, I'd highly advice to add the WME to your favourites so the storage can become persistent.

I hope this will solve the sporadic disappearing of image overlays. I still intend to support the exporting and importing of these images, but I haven't been able to figure out what is going wrong yet.
[ img ][ img ]
Glodenox
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby turbomkt » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:33 pm

Does exporting include the scaling, location on WME, etc? So it's simply import and it's automatically back to how it was when you attached to the map in the first place?
turbomkt
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Glodenox » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:36 pm

That's the idea behind the feature, yes. Storing the location, rotation and scaling isn't too hard. It's the "storing the image" that is currently not working as I'd expect it to.

But just to be clear: that feature is not yet part of this release.
[ img ][ img ]
Glodenox
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby SeveriorumPatrem » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:39 am

Sorry if this has come up before if it can't be helped, but I'd like to suggest modifying the layout of the controls to maximize available real estate and eliminate all that open space (attachment #1). As you can see in that image, the actual working area of the map is down to perhaps 35% of the total screen area. The point where you are trying to fine tune an image overlay is the worst time to have the working view of the map reduced so much.

Would help increase map view to move all of the image controls into the open space on the bottom of the left panel (attachment #2). If that can't be done, can the map controls be flattened out and widened to eliminate all the open space on either side of those controls (attachment #3)?

All that said, still super happy with this script, huge HUGE help. Thank you!
Attachments
1.jpg
(189.07 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
2.jpg
(211.29 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
3.jpg
(197.43 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
The Grumpy Dad
The more I learn, the more I discover how much I don't know.
SeveriorumPatrem
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Glodenox » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:06 am

When I made this layout I never expected those buttons to stay longer than a week or two (I thought about using handles to adjust the image size and location), so I didn't really optimize it. Both suggestions are indeed an improvement. I won't be able to work on it right now, but I've put it on the backlog.
[ img ][ img ]
Glodenox
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby RussPA » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:57 pm

This script has saved me a lot of time already and helped me accurately setup some complex interchanges that I would have had to otherwise guess at. I have some images saved on my home computer and some on my work computer. I can manually copy the images to both computers, but is there a way to sync the image attributes (size, rotation, location)? Some take me a while to get just right. Was that the purpose of the export function you mentioned in August?
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ][ img ] [ img ]
Assistant Regional Coordinator - NOR
Local Champ - US
WME Beta Community Coordinator
RussPA
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby Glodenox » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:26 pm

That is indeed the idea behind that functionality. You'd export a json file which contains all the attributes as well as the image itself. It's the image which currently seems to be causing some issue in the import at the moment. Though when I say "currently", I must admit that it has been 4 months since I tried to fix anything in that code.
[ img ][ img ]
Glodenox
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts