Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by bgodette
GizmoGuy411 wrote:"Co" says "co" as in the word "cooperate"
"Cor" says "Corner"
"CR" says "County Road"
and now you have found that
"Cord" also says "County Road"

This will be added to the "Big List" and we will also add it the submission list to Waze for removal as an abbreviation.
Seems like Cord should be put into whatever the list is of "needs updating" so that it says Cord instead of County Road.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
Chicagoans pronounce it Pull-as-kee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
Mispronunciation of Busse

Should be pronounced Buss-ee

Mispronunciation of Ela

Should be pronounced E-La
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
Mispronounce name for Mundhank Rd

Jane is saying it as Mun-Dawnk Road

Should be Mud-Hank

Segment Permalink: https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... =504985400

Thanks
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by bigtexun
So I'm getting very tired of hearing all of the Farm to Market roads called out as "Federated Micronesia"... Texas road names are weird, but in all fairness, it is impacting a lot of people that use waze.

In Texas
FM= Farm to Market (Farm to Market Road)
RR= Ranch Road
RM= Ranch to Market (Ranch to Market Road)

I see RM and RR used interchangeably on some roads, so it is not clear to me that both names aren't really the same.

In general it would be best not to expand abbreviations, just leave them as is.

But this Federated Micronesia stuff needs to stop, it has been going on for months.
bigtexun
Send a message

Post by Binky71
SIAP, but the abbreviation "Gd" for "Grand" is used quite a bit on Michigan highway signs. Any chance of adding this to the abbreviation list? For instance, "Gd" is used sometimes (but not always) for Grand Rapids and Grand River.
Binky71
Send a message
Rank 4 Editor

Post by Binky71
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:(Do the) The signs actually read "Gd Rapids" and "Gd River"? Either way, I don't see a good reason why we should abbreviate it. It's not like it takes up a lot of screen space to spell out Grand vs Gd and who knows if/when Waze will ever update the abbreviations list. It's better to have it read it out loud correctly than have the text match the sign 100%, IMO.
The point is well taken. The signs often do say "Gd" instead of "Grand". I've been putting them in as Grand. But if we want them to match the signs, then we should eventually make the change.
Binky71
Send a message
Rank 4 Editor

Post by BlueTiger68
Nixa is being pronounced as individual letters N I X A.

Should be NIX-ah

Reference segment here

Thanks
BlueTiger68
Send a message

Post by bmitch3020
Any automated solution is going to result in a lot of one-off or edge cases that don't work correctly. I think the best solution is to provide a TTS input under the Label input. Use the default TTS rules if no values are provided, and show the expanded value. And if "customize TTS" or some other checkbox is selected, allow the map editor to put in plain English (or their language of choice) into the TTS box. E.g.:

Label: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. St N
TTS: Doctor Martin Luther King Junior Street North

Label: N St.
TTS: N Street

Label: Geo Wash Pkwy
TTS: George Washington Parkway

This way the label can match the sign, but the editor can fix the TTS if we see the default isn't correct.
bmitch3020
Send a message
Brandon
Northern Virginia Area Manager

Post by bmitch3020
banished wrote:
bmitch3020 wrote: Label: Geo Wash Pkwy
TTS: George Washington Parkway.
Any abbreviation other than the standard N, E, W, S, St, Rd, Ave, Dr., etc., needs to include a period. For example,

Label: Dr = TTS: Drive
Label: Dr. (note the period) = TTS: doctor

Label: Geo. Wash. Pkwy = TTS: George Washington Pkwy

Rationale: "Wash" is not wholly uncommon word in street names.
I picked Geo Wash Pkwy on purpose because it's such a bad example. Trying to code the TTS for every situation like this would be a mistake. Like I said, we need a TTS override field where we can enter what is said, and still allow us to match the labels to the BGS.

(Sorry for not keeping up with the conversation, it seems that forum notifications are among the list of things that are breaking lately.)
bmitch3020
Send a message
Brandon
Northern Virginia Area Manager