These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Disable POP-UPS while stopped

Post by
Whenever I am at a red light or stopped in traffic, Waze keeps popping up messages from all over the place. They are not helpful to me, they are distracting. Especially when it is reporting things 10+ miles away. (I'm in the city, so 10 miles is a long ways)

I looked though the menus and have tried disabling these screens but they are still appearing.

How can I stop these pop-ups?

Thanks,

Scott

POSTER_ID:7895213

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
There should be the option to disable these. There should also be the option to restrict to a smaller radius, and there should be the option to show only those on my route. Waze has stated more options are coming. Not sure when, though.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sdschramm wrote:Any updates on this?
If you're expecting some kind of answer from Waze any time soon, you're going to be disappointed. This feature request has been out there for over a year and it hasn't happened yet. You can try twitter or Facebook and you'll likely get the "we're looking into it for a future release" type of message.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
How to turn them off is posted in the FAQ. And other threads.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
dirgela wrote:This feature is so annoying that people will ask it all the time, no FAQs will help, because even after they will read the FAQ they will still not believe this can't be turned off and will ask here if the FAQ is correct :)
The FAQ is pretty clear that it can be turned off. With a FAQ entry, instead of retyping the same answer 1000 times per month, I simply get to write, "read the FAQ" (with link).
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
tomzuu wrote:Okey, I can understand, why jasonh didn't give a direct link to #15, he's on iphone, but AlanOfTheBerg?
http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ# ... _moving.3F

Another thing is why can't it be made turned off like it is for Group pop-ups? But instead you have to disable traffic information at all.
This is just one of dozens of threads about the same issue. The direct link has been posted before, many times. And I tire of posting it repeatedly, especially that day.

Why can't you disable it like group popups? Because that setting is not available to us. Pretty simple. Yes, you have to turn of visual traffic data, but the routing servers still can reroute you due to traffic jams/accidents. You just don't get the alerts.
tomzuu wrote:A red and orange colored nearby streets on the screen while driving gives enough information about traffic on them, I don't need a pop-up for that
I don't really even need the colors. I let Waze handle the routing on the back-end.
tomzuu wrote:Although battery checker needs an option to be disabled. I'm clearly see my battery meter all the time while Waze is running, I don't need a notification pop-up about 30%...
Is this a "feature" of Android? Because on iOS we only have the OS-based notification and that has nothing to with Waze.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
dirgela wrote:Sorry, but it is clear from the FAQ that these annoying popups can't be turned off, there is only a workaround provided, which turns off all traffic data. Since that is unbelievable annoyance, people will ask this question again and again. Sadly there are pretty many annoyances like that with waze, so if you have no patience to answer the same questions you can always ignore them :)
Absolutely agree. But it is perfectly acceptable to reply with "read the FAQ" because that's what any reasonable person should be doing anyway.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
yurx wrote:Those who keep quoting Wiki are missing the point. ;) I am pretty sure everyone now know how to disable pop-ups which involves the undesirable side-effects. This request is to allow disable pop-ups and still have speed data. WiKi says it is not possible as of now and the community understands that, but the request is to make it possible. That's the point. ;)
No one is saying otherwise. The FAQ explicitly states it is a workaround with side-effects.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
olestas wrote:Well, now if you select popups only on your route, they are shown much less.
In fact, as Waze has stated multiple times, the server is locked down to "on route only" and the client adjustments have no effect. Some say otherwise. I personally have received two popups for hazard or traffic since December.

Tapatalk made me do it.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:Where has waze said they only provide "on route only" popups?
Actually, I'm incorrect, but not by much. You are, I believe, more correct. http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 38#p358338
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Today, for the first time in many months, I received MANY, way more than four, pop-ups while stopped. And they were nowhere near my route, though I was in nav mode. Changing the Event Radius made no difference.

I appears that someone screwed up some code again.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message