Scotts Run in Tysons

Post by delbertmatlock
I’ve been hitting the Unlock/Update thread pretty hard with road changes in the East Tysons section of Tysons, VA. There are several major construction projects in this area (Capital One, Scotts Run, Anderson Park, and soon MITRE). Quite a few roads are moving around and several new roads or extensions to existing roads are being added.

Guidance for roads under construction seems to be spread out. One of the best discussions I’ve found regarding representing roads during its various phases of construction is here:

viewtopic.php?f=276&t=120281

Currently, my attention is on Scotts Run South in Tysons. There is a large area where construction (mostly earth removal) has been ongoing for nearly a year. It is reach the point where new roads are being laid out. An image showing some of the new roads is attached.

Further complicating things is a service road on the west side of The Kingston apartment building which will soon be part of a new road (an extension of Colshire Meadow Drive. That service road is open, but has a very temporary look to it as I don’t believe it is intended for general use.

I’d like to get the extension for Colshire Meadow Drive on the map. It is staked out and having service lines installed now. The most recent imagery in the map editor shows the route it will take. Based on the link above, this appears to be the time to add it in but flag it as a private road with no turns into it allowed. To do this, I’d like to connect up several existing road segments.

https://www.waze.com/editor?env=usa&lon ... ,512131658

One of these segments is currently flagged as a closure. This isn’t really accurate as that section of road is completely gone now. The new road will be about 50’ east of where it used to be and the intersection of that road (previously unnamed) into Anderson and Chain Bridge will be reworked with the entire intersection shifting west.

If this sounds reasonable, I’ll request on the Unlock/Update thread to have the closure removed on the road stub and the protection level on Anderson Rd lowered. Once that is done, I’ll connect up the roads, move the stub west to its final position, change the type of the new sections as “Private Road”, and limit traffic flow to outbound only.

I'm not going to do anything to the existing intersection of Anderson and Chain Bridge as there hasn't been any traffic shift there there yet. The same with the other end of Colshire Meadow Dr and Colshire Dr, which are being straightened. There is work going on over there to straighten those roads but traffic is still in the old alignment.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? If not, what would be the proper way to tackle it?
delbertmatlock

POSTER_ID:17043206

Send a message
Attachments

Post by delbertmatlock
I think you are seeing tracks for the dump trucks that are still pull through that area as the ground level is being lowered. The new section of Colshire Meadow Dr is far from opening. The route has been mostly graded and there is work now happening to put service lines in the ground. My best guess would be end of year or spring before the road segment will open.

There isn't even a hint of South Dartford Dr and Station St yet. Those probably won't take shape until construction kicks off on the new apartment buildings going in, which should start later this year. Right now there is a blocker in the form of an overhead utility line crossing the site. Work has been going on for over a year to place conduits for those lines along Dolley Madison (I believe) but until the lines are gone site leveling can't be completed.

The attached drawing has what I believe will be the alignments of Colshire Meadow Dr (red) and Colshire Dr (blue) once this is all done. My centering is probably off as it doesn't account well for the width of the completed roads.
delbertmatlock
Send a message
Attachments

Post by delbertmatlock
Done.

Of interest, the asphalt has been going down Colshire Meadow Drive (red line) for the last couple of weeks. There are also curbs in place for the straightening of Colshire Drive (blue line) but still just soil for the road bed. It looks like these roads may be done earlier than I had originally expected.

One oddity I've noticed, it looks like the portion of Colshire Meadow Drive next to MITRE 4 is several feet lower than the existing road next to the building. I'm going to have to go back to the design plans to see if there is going to be some sort of service lane along the building rather than the road itself fronting it. If that is the case, I'll rework the alignment through there after the storm has passed and the request to not edit road segments has lifted.
delbertmatlock
Send a message
Last edited by delbertmatlock on Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by subs5
This segment has some GPS tracks on it. Is it already opened?

The Fairfax County My Property website and the picture above look like Colshire Meadow Dr goes from Chain Bridge Rd to Colshire Meadow (South of Colshire Dr) so should it look like this?
What is the time frame for S. Dartford Dr and Station St? You should be able to add them with exception of connecting to Dolley Madison Blvd.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 3
Send a message