If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Today, in France, first average speed radar

Post by matuvu18
Hello,
today, in France, they activate the first average speed radar. Someothers will be put in place soon.
The system is one radar at one point and an other radar 2 kms after, the system calculate the average speed.
It would be great if Waze could have this feature, for instance the road could be 'painted' in orange (or what ever) to tell the driver this road is under average speed control. It's an idea, others are welcome ! The aim is to be alerted !
Best regards.
matuvu18

POSTER_ID:6069845

Send a message

Post by glenan56
I think first radar (cam I think) takes plate number and associated time
Second cam takes plate number and associated time.
The distance is known so it only stays to substract times and calculate speed.

If problem like plate not known by both radar, it is your lucky day.

By installing many cams on first point and also in second point system is able to take all lines and many cars in the same time.

So i think it is not radar but cam.

Sorry for my poor english...
Envoyé depuis mon GT-I9000 avec Tapatalk
glenan56
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor
Send a message
Last edited by glenan56 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by glenan56
Yes. In france system is already used for automatic toll without stoping when leaving a motorway.

Envoyé depuis mon GT-I9000 avec Tapatalk
glenan56
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor
Send a message

Post by glenan56
The use of camera is confirmed.
http://www.automotoconso.com/leblog/?p=1189

Many countries already use this kind of radar (cam) :
Belgium, UK, Italy and deutchland

In France the first system installed today can be used from 150 meters to many kilometers.
This is MESTA 5000 Smart. It is not already homologate but it will be in august. Up to this date, it works only for tests.
http://www.radars-auto.com/info-radars/ ... -smart.php

The MESTA 5000 SMART can store and analyse up to 2400 vehicules for each line and per hour (so it is confirmed too that one cam is used by line on each side).

When you exceed average speed, a picture of your car is taken.

50 similar systems will be installed in France before the end of 2012.
glenan56
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor
Send a message

Post by glenan56
davipt wrote:
My advice? Put a radar every km on that segment from entry to exit point >:)

Sent from my iTapatalk
Yes but how you do that ?
Because in editor always impossible to add radar.
In France many people thought that waze staff doesn't really listen to users or editors complaints.

You can easily see here from what date this issue is discussed without any solution.
glenan56
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor
Send a message

Post by gordonski
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
elixdreamer wrote:Please make this a update and fast.
:lol:

They are speed cameras, plain and simple.
Yes and No. They are speed cameras, alright, but they are special cameras that don't only monitor one spot one the road but whole segments. The article linked by glenan56 mentions that the two elements (i.e. the camera and the radar device) can be miles apart. I guess most drivers' reaction is to slow down to regular speed when seeing a speed trap and then re-accelerate after passing the trap. So when you only report the initial control point of these new devices, these drivers will be screwed. :oops: When you only report the endpoint of the speed control, it won't make things any better. :roll:
So I think this next generation of speed traps is something we should spend one ore two thoughts on. Though urgency is probably not too high, e.g. I haven't heard of these thingies in Germany yet, but the article says that they are in use over here as well...

Gordonski
gordonski
Send a message
No stop signs, speed limitdownload/file.php?id=44782Nobody's gonna slow me down!
Area Manager in DN/BM/AC (NRW)
Wiki | Liste aller Gemeinden/Städte

Post by JAAP99
Hello,
Is it planned an update Waze integrating radar section?
Because they will very quickly be deployed in France and in many other European countries such as Spain, Belgium, the Netherlands or Swiss.
http://www.lepoint.fr/auto-addict/secur ... 95_657.php
http://videos.tf1.fr/jt-13h/premier-rad ... 68520.html
We should be able to report the first and then the second radar to warn of the end of the section monitored by a specific color flashing (like yellow)!
Regards
JAAP99
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by JAAP99
dmcconachie wrote: Please read the rest of the thread before posting exactly the same question!
We have these in the UK, existing speedcam reporting works adequately, no need to rush to add anything new.
As an aside, I hate these things but my they are effective!
I don’t think such, and other previous messages feel the same way …
Take a look to verify if they are effective:
http://videos.tf1.fr/jt-13h/premier-rad ... 68520.html
JAAP99
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by klunk
I drive on a road that has an 8 mile section of average speed cameras, I know about this road but I would still like to see this option available. Fixed camera indicators dont cut it, to be honest, especially when the road had a number of fixed position cameras removed when the average cameras were commissioned which for some reason I am not able to remove from the map. There is enough noise on this road as it it, it would be much nicer just to have an indication that there are average speed cameras along this route.
klunk
Send a message

Post by maantje76
I'm experimenting with FTW policetrap Events for these in The Netherlands...
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message