iPhone is too hot during using Waze

Post by jakudo
Hi, few weeks/months, I've found my iPhone 3G way too hot while using waze than before. I thought that it was because of the phone itself (old iPhone, battery was bad etc...). However, last weekend I bought new iPhone 4, tried several times the waze (and also other navigation apps) but just waze make my iPhone almost untouchable. Is there anything I can do with that? Does somebody have the same problem?
jakudo

POSTER_ID:1031952

Send a message

Post by Darthreflon
I think some of you are missing the point some people are trying to make. With the recent release of this new version, they have noticed their phones are hotter than normal. Which means that some people out there don't want their phone to get ruined because of some app. It's not worth it to them yes waze has every right to use all the hardware apple put on there but at what cost. A lot of people will stop using waze to save their phone from over heating. Is it really worth losing all these people because waze decided to change the way their app works? I for one use a vent mount so I'm not worried. I did have mine sitting on the dashboard but then I started getting the overheating message. So then I went out and bought a vent mount. Not everyone will do that.
Darthreflon
Send a message

Post by edEskankus
My 4S shut down in August with the "too hot" warning, but I had no AC and was caught in traffic. Only happened once.
edEskankus
Send a message
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/73717866/waze.png

dbates • 6.0(10A403) • IP4

Post by gettingthere
The device can get rather hot. The more functions that you are using, the warmer it gets.

* Screen
* GPS
* Cellular Modem
* Bluetooth
* Charging device

I notice that it's worse when using Waze and charging from a low battery state. I have a dash mount and aim one of my AC vents directly towards my phone to help keep it cool. I have never had a case where my iPhone 4 has shut down due to excessive heat. The iPhone has a built in sensor that will power off your iPhone, due to heat, before damage occurs. So your device feeling hot is not necessarily causing any problems.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
I don't have any scientific evidence, but I am also not noticing any difference with my iPhone 4 and the latest release of Waze. If the battery is low and needs to be charged while Wazing and listening to streaming music my iPhone is warm/hot to the touch. The thermal protection is not shutting is down so I am not at all concerned.

If the thermal protection shuts down your phone, it has been protected. Apple shuts down the device before damage occurs.

If you are constantly having your iPhone shut down do to heat issues, you need to take corrective action. Put it in a different place in your car where it's not in direct sunlight, turn on your AC, don't leave your iPhone in your car when it is parked in the sun, position your iPhone where cool air from the AC is blowing on it, don't charge the phone in the car (charge it in a cooler environment), or limit which applications you are running when the operating environment is hot.

The iPhone 4S should not be used in an environment where the temperature is higher than 95 degrees F. If you car (or anywhere else) is hotter than that and you are running your iPhone you are operating it out of specifications.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
kentsmith9 wrote:I guess Apple does not care to have phones work properly in the central US. :lol:
Yep, it's amazing that we buy smart phones by the millions that are not designed to work in summer conditions in many areas of the world. Obviously the iPhone can work in places that are hotter than 95 degrees F...

The other thing that Apple says can contribute to this issue is 3rd party cases. A case on the iPhone can trap the heat in and further complicate this problem. Maybe the Wazers who are having issues with their phones shutting down are Wazing in a hotter than specification environment, have a case on their phone, running power sucking applications as well a charging at the same time. This is not specifically a Waze issue.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by hallmike
I got a cradle that attaches to an air vent so the phone is always in the path of cool air.
hallmike
Send a message
https://photos.imageevent.com/hallmike/ ... llmike.jpg ...when you care enough to Waze the very best

Post by hydroxcookies
My advice, just don't use waze while running Pandora on a charging battery in a car with black seats that you just turned off so you could fill the tank under the blazing sun of an early June heatwave. That's how I learned about the overheat shutdown mechanism...
hydroxcookies
Send a message

Post by invented
Now that summer is here, I'm getting a lot of 'Temperature' shutdowns. Just have to hold it in front of the A/C vent for a minute. Not much you can do besides turn on the defrost and send some cool air up there.
invented
Send a message

Post by jakudo
mmm, sounds interesting, but it's impossible in my car. The air vent is too far from my phone holder :(
But I think it must be the waze problem, because other navigations (or apps) don't make the iPhone that hot...
jakudo
Send a message