Wiki Overhaul

Post by imper1um
This is coming from another post. Before this was suggested, I was already working on a Wiki, but someone suggested I move this to another post.
imper1um wrote:
mapcat wrote:
imper1um wrote:Well, I'm Working on something
I applaud your effort. This is a huge task. Taking it on at one week in, you're a bold one.
I love taking on things like this...my OCD kicks in and since I'm a programmer, I use all of my skills to their full use. Its a learning experience for me, and a fun task.

I'm also a very standards oriented person, so you'll see a lot of "standards" that are the same.

The plan:
- Rewrite the structure to something closer to current wikis. Remove all "this is what you do" from the main page to stop it from becoming an "information spew" on the first page you see.
- Establish a standards structure for the layout of the site, including templates and such.
- Build main "overview" pages for use and begin requests for people making translations (if possible)
- Build side "definition" pages for use, and begin requests for people making translations (if possible).

The general idea:
1. We need to remove the "information spew" on every page. Finding information is hard. Really hard.
2. Clean up the look of each of the pages so that it looks like someone (semi) professional did the pages.
3. Establish a translation protocol for all of the pages, so that translated pages go to translated pages (/es goes to /es, instead of /es to /en).

It will take some time, but I'll probably need help in the future building a few pages, but I'm going to generate the structure before that happens, which shouldn't be long.
The entire overhaul is currently on my User:Imper1um page located at http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/User:Imper1um/Overhaul. To make it easy to move things, and make it easy for me to run a script at the end of the overhaul to replace the wiki, I'm going to keep the same initial structure (all links begin with "User:Imper1um/Overhaul/"). When the overhaul is finished, I have a massive script that runs, rooting it all out. It also helps that something under construction like this will be completely separate from the current wiki.

At the moment, I'm not particularly looking for help, but if you want to offer it, I won't refuse it. In the future, I will need the following help:

1. Better wording of the general idea. At the moment, I am just simply "creating the structure", which I allocate 30 seconds for me to think up of a small amount of sentences to say about the specified subject. If someone is particularly good with expanding on ideas (show, not tell), it would help if someone could come up behind me, edit the pages with better descriptions of each of the ideas.

2. Categorization. I plan on doing this afterwards, but if someone can also edit the pages to put effective categories on the pages. I need people who are versed in organization to do this.

3. Translation. I only know English, but I know it well. If you know English and another language, please, create a page with <PAGENAME>/<language>, translating the page. Regardless, make sure you add {{Template:User:Imper1um/Overhaul}} to the top of the page to signify that it is an Overhaul page. Also, make sure you use "two-character language" notation. This is generally the first two characters of your language (with some exceptions). For example, Spanish is "es", French is "fr". Don't know your language two-character notation? Go to wikipedia.org, choose your language, and note the "XX.wikipedia.org". For example, Italian will be "it.wikipedia.org".

4. Pictures. I need someone to place pictures effectively into the wiki. This needs to be done AFTER #1.

5. I need someone with Wiki Admin access to add the following to the CSS Stylesheet:

Code: Select all

.bodyContent .top .topImage
{
 background-image: url('http://www.waze.com/wiki/images/8/87/Top.png');
}
Hopefully soon we can get rid of this "information spew" that we have on the Wiki.

Thanks!
imper1um

POSTER_ID:8075478

Send a message
Waze Editor (2)
Editing Sanford/Altamonte Springs/Orlando, I-95 and Adjacent Cities (Central FL)

Post by dmcconachie
gettingthere wrote:Should all of the legacy Cartouche map editing instructions be removed? It confuses new editors and Cartouche should not be used any more.
Can it be archived somehow? Probably a lot of valuable info there that we might not want to lose completely!

Any idea how you plan to manage country (not language) differences? Eg the UK-specific guidelines. And yes, US guidelines should be a subset too and not the main page!

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
gettingthere wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:Can it be archived somehow? Probably a lot of valuable info there that we might not want to lose completely!
If it's general information related to Waze, editing maps, and current, it should be integrated into the Wiki in the proper place. If it's specific information on how to edit using Cartouche, why do we need to keep it?
Because as things stand, we still use it!

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
gettingthere wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:Because as things stand, we still use it!
But don't the people who still use it already know how to edit in Cartouche, correct? New editors should not be in Cartouche at all nor need instructions on editing in Cartouche. Agree?
I agree but I don't think that's what is happening!

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
gettingthere wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:However, as long as the Recent Routes on the Dashboard page leads every new user to Cartouche, new editors will be using Cartouche, screwing things up and creating new problems.
Urgh.... Waze needs to get that removed from there and / or get the links going to WME instead. How many months late are these changes? Is Waze even keeping track of what is remaining to be done to get rid of Cartouche?
Livemap reported problems still go to cartouche too as far as I'm aware!

It's as bad as the beta feedback being ignored. We're told that cartouche is responsible for most of the database failures yet it still sits there like a little waze wart!

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
Should all of the legacy Cartouche map editing instructions be removed? It confuses new editors and Cartouche should not be used any more.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
dmcconachie wrote:Can it be archived somehow? Probably a lot of valuable info there that we might not want to lose completely!
If it's general information related to Waze, editing maps, and current, it should be integrated into the Wiki in the proper place. If it's specific information on how to edit using Cartouche, why do we need to keep it?
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
dmcconachie wrote:Because as things stand, we still use it!
But don't the people who still use it already know how to edit in Cartouche, correct? New editors should not be in Cartouche at all nor need instructions on editing in Cartouche. Agree?
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
jasonh300 wrote:However, as long as the Recent Routes on the Dashboard page leads every new user to Cartouche, new editors will be using Cartouche, screwing things up and creating new problems.
Urgh.... Waze needs to get that removed from there and / or get the links going to WME instead. How many months late are these changes? Is Waze even keeping track of what is remaining to be done to get rid of Cartouche?
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by imper1um
1. Cartouche documentation will be logged and stored away. More emphesis on the new engine should be used since it causes less problems and is much more supported.

2. I'm going to need some documentation on the minimum requirements for WME. The problem is that WME I know works in Chrome because I use Chrome, however, I would like to know how it works in other Browsers, and perhaps establish a "lowend version" for what browsers can and cannot be used in WME. I'm busy with work, wiki, road editing, and Pathfinder Society all the time that I can't really go version testing.

3. For the most part, the entire wiki structure should be based on providing people the information on as it is clicked, not spewed out in front of the user. Simple headlines should only be provided with more information at a click, like most Wikis. So, if someone is just using the Client and wants to get the lo-down on a feature and its nuances, I don't want the screen cluttered with information about Cartouche.

4. Ultimately, the wiki should be set that everything should be "at-a-click." Want to know the definition of a word that only exists in WME? It should be clickable.

5. Wiki documentation should be <= 2 scrolls on a 950px height screen with sufficient (950px width+) width for the documentation. This allows for less information spew and more information "conciseness." You tell people what they want to know, not explain about everything what is going on.
imper1um
Send a message
Waze Editor (2)
Editing Sanford/Altamonte Springs/Orlando, I-95 and Adjacent Cities (Central FL)