Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

The Implementation of Structured Roles in Australia

Post by Vestigal
I wanted to kick-start this discussion, as it's been brought up by me and a few others yesterday in the Live Chat.

We currently have no defined hierarchy in Australia, we're basically running on "we do the best we can with what we've got".

Now that we've got a revived leadership, I'd like to clarify the structure of roles within the Waze Editing Community, so that we can hopefully take some of the weight off ituajr's shoulders.

So let's start!

Country Coordinator
The role:
A country coordinator is an appointed position granted by the Australian leadership in cooperation with staff. Coordinators are experts who coordinate between the local community and Waze Team, as community ambassadors.

Responsibilities:
  • Participating in both the global and local Champs’ groups, and being in a direct contact with the relevant Waze community managers
  • Advise about the urgency and the severity of any reported issue
  • Be aware of the company news, product announcements, new versions etc.
  • Assist with social media activities in the country
  • Take part in the setup of local and regional editors meetups
  • In coordination with the community, develop and implement new policies, procedures, rules, standards, and visions to maintain the consistency, quality, and standards of the map with Waze HQ requirements.
  • Advocate for the Waze editing community
  • Put aside personal bias, beliefs, preferences, and attitudes and work towards the greater needs of the Waze editing community.
  • Work collaboratively with other global, Australian coordinators and managers, provide support and feedback to ensure they are empowered with the resources required to perform their roles effectively.
  • Uphold the Waze Australia community standards.
  • Monitor and manage the performance of Australian coordinators and managers inline with their position description and activity expectations
  • Appoint and remove managers to roles inline with performance expectations and the needs of the Waze Australia Map.
  • Foster growth and promote collaboration within the Australia editing community.
  • Being available and contactable to Waze Community Managers, Australian Coordinators, and other managers.
  • Works to resolve disputes escalated by managers with fairness to all parties.
  • Regularly review the performance of all appointed roles, take action to provide direct feedback and intervention where necessary.
  • Seek to fill roles required by Waze Australia with persons suitably qualified for positions in the best interests of Waze Australia.
Country Manager
The role:
A Country Manager (CM) is a Map Editor who has privileges to edit the map anywhere in their country. While CM is an editing role, community involvement is required to be granted role promotions.
You must meet the minimum rank requirement (Rank 5) before you can request to be a CM, but not all Rank 5 Editors are Country Managers.

Responsibilities:
  • Demonstrated skills and experience at editing to Waze Best Map Editing Practice at an advanced level.
  • Coordination with the Country Coordinator, and State Managers to ensure map security, user mentoring, and conflict resolution.
  • Excellent problem analysis skills
  • Exceptional communication skills
State Manager
The role:
A State Manager (SM) has the same general duties as an Area Manager, except an SM is the first point of contact for any State-related matters. SM's are granted state-wide editing rights, and depending on the requirements, a level upgrade, to assist in your ability. They will also be in communication with the community, and Country Managers / Coordinators. As a result of these requirements, you will also need to have shown a demonstrated history of adherence to the Country-specific guidance and communication/collaboration with other editors.

Responsibilties:
  • All of the Area Manager responsibilities
  • Mentoring & Guiding Area Managers to help them fulfil their role.
  • Contributing to discussions that affect your State and the Country.
  • Demonstrated skills and experience at editing to Waze Best Map Editing Practice at an advanced level.
  • Good problem analysis skills
  • Good communication skills
Area Manager
The role:
Upon application of this role, you are electing to take an area of the map under your supervision. Directly reportable to the State Manager, you will be in charge of maintaining a specific area of the map.

Responsibilities:
  • Answering Update Requests (Place, and user) in your defined area
  • Periodically scanning your area to ensure compliance with the Editing Best Practises
  • Being available for contact either via the Discord, or forum PM within a reasonable timeframe
  • Checking the UR/UL forum for unlocks/update requests in your area periodically
  • Good problem analysis skills
  • Good communication skills

Application for an Area Manager initial/expanded area.

Obviously this is an incomplete list, and I'd like some input from ituajr and others before this is implemented / finalised.
Vestigal
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ

POSTER_ID:17490850

Send a message
Last edited by Vestigal on Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 9 times in total.
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... r-N-N5.gif
Vestigal (6), Country Coordinator, Local Champ, Australian Editing Community
Kurt
44,000km driven with Waze | 4280 UR's Resolved | 12,319,214 km² Managed Area
-
Join us in the Waze Australia Discord Server.

Post by LostInMyMaps
Proposed additions to the country coordinator role:
• In coordination with the community, develop and implement new policies, procedures, rules, standards, and visions to maintain the consistency, quality, and standards of the map with Waze HQ requirements.
• Advocate for the Waze editing community
• Put aside personal bias, beliefs, preferences, and attitudes and work towards the greater needs of the Waze editing community.
• Work collaboratively with other global, Australian coordinators and managers, provide support and feedback to ensure they are empowered with the resources required to perform their roles effectively.
• Uphold the Waze Australia community standards.
• Monitor and manage the performance of Australian coordinators and managers inline with their position description and activity expectations
• Appoint and remove managers to roles inline with performance expectations and the needs of the Waze Australia Map.
• Foster growth and promote collaboration within the Australia editing community.
• Being available and contactable to Waze Community Managers, Australian Coordinators, and other managers.
• Works to resolve disputes escalated by managers with fairness to all parties.
EDIT:
• Regularly review the performance of all appointed roles, take action to provide direct feedback and intervention where necessary.
• Seek to fill roles required by Waze Australia with persons suitably qualified for positions in the best interests of Waze Australia.
LostInMyMaps
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 7
Send a message
Brendan (LostInMyMaps)
Global Champ, Coordinator, Volunteer Map Editor
Waze Australia

https://i.imgur.com/pdUHgo3.png

Join me in the Waze Australia Discord Server | Australia Wiki | New Aussie Editor Link

Post by LostInMyMaps
In addition, the Australian Coordinator will supply ice cream, no less than twice a week, to all active Waze Australia editors.

I’d like to have some more time to think about the other roles. I’d like to see written in to their description requirements to work collaboratively with other roles and activity requirements. But I need to think about this a bit more.

Also, really good work on the baseline descriptions, StygianEstrian.
LostInMyMaps
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Brendan (LostInMyMaps)
Waze Australia

Join me in the Waze Australia Discord Server | Australia Wiki | New Aussie Editor Link

Post by LostInMyMaps
We might need to come back to this and expand on the additional roles beyond the Coordinator, as we now have SMs for example. What do we expect of SMs? What do we expect of CMs?

Personally, I feel SMs and CMs should be more than just editing rights. These titles contain "manager", and therefore, I feel we need to demand leadership and management from these roles.

Others have input?
LostInMyMaps
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Brendan (LostInMyMaps)
Waze Australia

Post by LostInMyMaps
inflexionEstrian wrote:Did you read the original post? It's been there for a long time.
Yeah, but that's like the empty shell of a position description. We need more than just the basics.
LostInMyMaps
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Brendan (LostInMyMaps)
Waze Australia

Post by rbrdly
To be a pedant - would it be helpful to structure your post according to the hierarchy?

Country Manager (start at Global champ?) at the top?

Then it's easier to flow down and see whom is reportable and responsible to whom?
rbrdly
Send a message

Post by rbrdly
But you seem to be unpacking that as you go anyway.

"Area Manager - Directly reportable to the State Manager,"
Makes sense to have it actually sitting under the State Manager in the list - to me anyway.
rbrdly
Send a message

Post by rbrdly
Yeah, that's looking good.
rbrdly
Send a message

Post by Vestigal
That's the problem. In the final implementation yes but I believe we're still working on what all these roles mean first, rather than making it easier on the eyes with the heirarchy. I'll see what I can do to make it more clear.
Vestigal
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... r-N-N5.gif
Vestigal (6), Country Coordinator, Local Champ, Australian Editing Community
Kurt
44,000km driven with Waze | 4280 UR's Resolved | 12,319,214 km² Managed Area
-
Join us in the Waze Australia Discord Server.