Post by voludu2
Cities and towns
Based on questions that have come up during the current basemap mapraid, and some followup discussions among the mapraid leaders, I have written this proposed replacement for the "cities and towns" section of the PA wiki page.
I propose removing a couple of links from that section and moving them to the Mapping Resources page, which can also use a good cleanup since we have so many more nice tools now.
That is outside the scope of this proposal.

All suggestions for improvement are welcome. If there are no objections, I will replace the section with this proposed text.

https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Us ... _and_towns
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I don't want to say "DO NOT USE A POST OFFICE NAME".
Because, well, West Chester (borough name) is a post office name
and Exton (CDP name) is a post office name.
So, technically, we must use a post office name.

When I write rules, I want them to be logically consistent.

Technically, since the rules list the only things which are allowed, it is not logically necessary to list all the things which are not allowed. I only do it because people might tend to think those things were forgotten and, of course, were meant to be on the list of allowed things.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
When I think of other ways to word that, by talking about municipalities and CDPs, I find, in order to maintain logical consistency, that I have to recapitulate some of what is already in the rules above that one. So it gets muddier.

Can you suggest a clarification that doesn't muddy it up, or do you think that we should simply expect everyone to understand what I've put in parentheses and leave it out?
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Do you think that is adequately covered by the admonition
"If you think you have found a place that needs an exception to the rules below, please contact a Pennsylvania state manager."
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Thanks for the suggested wording, Russ. I made a change.
With that, I'd like to suggest taking this live, as I think it does not change any guidance, confirmed by a discussion we had here some time ago. If any more tweaks are needed (like how better to make clear that you shoiuld contact a SM about exceptions you find / need), we can keep tweaking it.

I'm going to "rush" this through by the end of today if there are no objections.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I have made the change here:
https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Pe ... _and_towns
If you find any errors or omissions, or can suggest improved wording please bring them up here.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I replaced the links to the most up-to-date FC information in these two pages:

Mapping Resources
Pennsylvania via the Major Roads Main section
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Sure. Why not start with a google sheet to list upcoming recurring events you already know about, maybe with a permalink or two to get editors looking in the right part of the map, and a link for website or internet search query they'll have to check for next time.

Keep it simple so everyone will want to use it, and so we wont need a bunch if IT support to keep it going. Add stuff that everyone thinks is useful and take out stuff that turns out not to be useful.

If it catches on with PA editors,then why not add it to the wiki page?
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I just made a change to the Mapping Resources Wiki page. I added the Philadelphia water department interactive map and removed the PA police traffic blog.

If you are aware of any similar resources we should add to this page, please add them and post about it here.
voludu2
Send a message
Last edited by voludu2 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by voludu2
Hey RussPA -- you maintain a list of local PA links for counties in a spreadsheet.
That mapping resources page currently lists a bunch of resources per county, but it is woefully out of date. Instead of maintaining two lists, can you give us a view-only link to the spreadsheet so we can add it to the wiki page?
voludu2
Send a message