I-95/495 Express (HOT) Lanes

Post by TJNoffy
When navigating and driving in the I-95 and I-495 Express Lanes (DC area), Waze continuously tries to recalculate the route to get me back onto the regular I-95/495 lanes. Even though Waze shows me on lanes that Waze knows about (Express Lanes), it refuses to recalculate my route to use the Express Lanes that I'm on. The repeated recalcuations with wacky routes to get back on the regular lanes is very annoying.

See attached image.

And before anyone suggests adding an EZPass transponder to my Waze application, did you know that if you don't have an EZPass, you can still drive on the Express Lanes and get billed via your license plate? So, not everyone who drives in the Express Lanes necessarily has an EZPass. This past weekend I was driving my wife's automobile, using my phone for Waze and my wife's EZPass. I don't typically drive with an EZPass in MY car, so it doesn't make sense to add hers since Waze may route me onto toll roads in MY car when I don't have an EZPass.

The bottom line is that if Waze knows that I am driving on lanes THAT WAZE KNOWS ABOUT, Waze should recalculate my route TO THOSE LANES. Waze should not care if I have entered an EZPass in my configuration... that's irrelevant. I'm on the lanes, so just route me on those lanes!
TJNoffy

POSTER_ID:17361098

Send a message
Attachments

Post by russblau
This is a forum for Waze users, not developers. Subs5 has explained to you how the app works. Even if we don’t like it, it’s not under our control.
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by subs5
As stated to your previous post the VDOT signage is EZPass only and EZPassFlex for toll free.
The pay by plate is more a fine and late fee. So if you want to use the Express Lanes add the appropriate transponder.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 3
Send a message

Post by subs5
Just to make sure that you know, Virginia has no monthly cost for the EZPass Transponder. There is a $35 cost to get the transponder but that amount is loaded on the transponder for using as tolls. $15 immediately and the final $20 after registered on their website according to their website.

So you might want to get a transponder for each car. If you get the Flex Transponder then you do have to use it in the HOV mode once every 6 months or they can charge an additional fee. Think that is $10 last I heard.

Additionally you can request extra velcro strips (mailed free of cost at least 2 yrs ago) so that you can mount the transponder in different cars. Just have the various license plates listed on the registration page.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by subs5
If you have an EZPass transponder entered in Waze, then you can select avoid toll roads and it won't offer Express Lanes.
If you have an EZPassFlex transponder entered in Waze, then you will be offerred the Regular lanes or the HOV=3+ Express Lanes if you have avoid tolls selected. You are then only routed on the Express Lanes if you select the HOV-3+ to certify that you meet the passenger requirements.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by TJNoffy
Again, as you seemingly acknowledge, you can still end up in the Express Lanes without a transponder, regardless of whether you call it a fine, late fee, or bill-by-plate. Doesn't matter. That's not Waze's decision to make. If I'm in the lane, recalculate my route in that lane, and don't worry about why I'm in it.

And, as already explained, there are reasons to NOT add a transponder to Waze. My wife's transponder follows her car, not my phone. Users should not need to add/remove/add/remove/add/remove transponders from Waze over and over again depending on what car they are in.
TJNoffy
Send a message

Post by TJNoffy
russblau wrote:This is a forum for Waze users, not developers. Subs5 has explained to you how the app works. Even if we don’t like it, it’s not under our control.
I first submitted this issue as a map issue, figuring that was the first place to go. I got the same reply from sub5 there, according to an email I received. The email I received notifying me of his/her response had a link in it to reply.

"You can reply using the Waze mobile app, or https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... 68&env=usa in the Waze map editor."

Clicked on that link and ended up on the Map Editor page with no indication of where his/her message was, nor how to reply to it. Maybe you can explain where on that page I would find sub5's message and be able to respond to it, but it isn't obvious to me :? , which is why I brought it here, in hopes that Waze developers might monitor this board.
TJNoffy
Send a message

Post by TJNoffy
subs5 wrote:Just to make sure that you know, Virginia has no monthly cost for the EZPass Transponder. There is a $35 cost to get the transponder but that amount is loaded on the transponder for using as tolls. $15 immediately and the final $20 after registered on their website according to their website.

So you might want to get a transponder for each car. If you get the Flex Transponder then you do have to use it in the HOV mode once every 6 months or they can charge an additional fee. Think that is $10 last I heard.

Additionally you can request extra velcro strips (mailed free of cost at least 2 yrs ago) so that you can mount the transponder in different cars. Just have the various license plates listed on the registration page.
I appreciate the information. Yes, my car is registered on her EZPass transponder. I can use it in my car, but it is primarily for her to use for work travel. It is rarely in my car unless I am going on a trip with EZPass tolls, and she doesn't need it while I'm gone.

I just don't want Waze routing me to a toll road in an unfamiliar area when I don't have the transponder. Yes, I could very well get my own transponder, but that's $35 charged to my credit card and added to my account that I may not use for a very long time, plus a $0.50/month fee.

To be clear, I'm not asking that Waze route me to the Express Lanes when I don't have a transponder in my Waze configuration. I just believe that if I decide for myself to take the Express Lanes (because I have the transponder that day, or am willing to pay the license plate fine/fee), Waze should just recalculate my route on those lanes.

Anyway, sounds like this forum isn't the place to effect change. Thanks for the feedback.
TJNoffy
Send a message