Post by davidg666
cw1998 wrote:
davidg666 wrote:I've also just added a new DNS record to my domain, so waze.cw1998.uk should be live soon (if it isn't already). All the county files will live there.
Ah, that's why it wouldn't load for me (in Dublin, just checked at 12:48 UTC).

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
cw1998 wrote:Just to update this: I made the script half the precision of the coordinates for the points on the townland polygons and remove unneeded polygon properties.
It looks a little bit messier (see this screenshot), but the file size is essentially half of the original, and it certainly is still workable.
I have only run this with Co. Clare so far, and the file size went from 39.3MB to 20.1MB.
So the lower-precision one is the purple line on your screenshot?

Does it make any noticeable speed difference in WME?

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
KDDA wrote:What do you use the data for?
Naming of minor country roads that have no other known name.
KDDA wrote:The OpenStreetMap Ireland ( http://www.openstreetmap.ie ) have been mapping townlands for years now and have a very comprehensive data set (60,990 townlands) which is processed every data and available to download from https://www.townlands.ie/page/download/

You might be interested in the townland layer being served here - https://maps.openstreetmap.ie/?zoom=14& ... FFFFFFFFFT
Thanks for this KDDA. We can't legally use data from OpenStreetMap in the Waze map though - we're limited to publicly available sources that have no usage restrictions on them. I can't remember exactly how OSM's data is licensed, but I'm pretty sure using it in Waze would contravene their licensing conditions.

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
KDDA wrote:Interesting, the OSM license requires you to attribute the source, ie "© OpenStreetMap contributors" However the very data linked to in this thread, requires the same thing.
However, from this page:
OpenStreetMap Legal FAQ wrote:3b. If I have data derived from OSM data, do I have to distribute it?
The license does not force you to distribute or make any data available.

But if you do distribute or publicly use anything derived from it - a Derivative Database - then the derivative database must be available under the same licence as the OSM data (the Open Database License).
We would have to make the Waze map data available under the OSM license if we were to use the OSM data in the Waze map. Since we're just volunteer map editors here and don't work for Waze, and since the Waze map is legally the property of Waze, we can't force Waze to make their commercial product - the map - openly available under the OSM license.
KDDA wrote:To use the Open Government Data Licence requires you to have the following attribution statement "Contains Irish Public Sector Data licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) licence" - https://data.gov.ie/pages/opendatalicence

Therefore, surely the use of this data would also contravene the Open Data licensing conditions?
The difference is between making derived works publicly available and between attribution. The other difference is that we're using the the townland geometry data to make a tool usable by map editors for visualising townland boundaries, which is something that's already visible in the out-of-copyright Ordnance Survey maps from the 1800s. We're not actually copying townland geometry data into the Waze map.

You do raise a good point though. I seem to recall we discussed this quite a while ago, and at the time I think we put an attribution statement in the Waze wiki. Most of the Ireland pages in the wiki have moved over to Wazeopedia and been rewritten (or are in progress), so we need to check out if the attribution statement has got lost.

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

KDDA
Send a message
Last edited by KDDA on Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

KDDA
Send a message
Last edited by KDDA on Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.