The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by gettingthere
dmcconachie wrote:The only thing that surprises me is that you're surprised! ;-)
Highly disappointed. Waze is going to get crushed by the upcoming competition if they can't get their act together.

Waze will temporarily 'hide' their infrastructure issues from some Wazers and some new Wazers by trying to maintain the ability to navigate in the Application. That only buys them a couple of days until the questions start coming:

* Where are my points
* How come my points are not updating
* Why are the map fixes not updating in the application
* etc, etc, etc.

Then all of these new Wazers abandon Waze and all of the work everyone has been doing is for nothing.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
Waze claims that they can't scale up easily with AWS until their proprietary software is rewritten. They can't easily split the service up. On top of that many of the processes were serial. If one of the 10 (just guessing here) failed all of the remaining steps won't run. This is especially an issue with points.

I don't quite understand what the bottleneck is with the tile generation and editor vs the real time service. Must be issues related to database scalability and performance.

It all comes down to this whole thing was designed for one small country, Israel. Waze then quickly rolled out to the USA and then the ROTW while using the same infrastructure design. None if which was designed around AWS.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
The issue in the past has been that the longer we go without map tile updates, the harder it is to get it to process and the longer it takes to catch back up again. Of course Waze has claimed they have improved the tile update process recently, so we'll have to wait and see if it has really been improved or not.

Don't get me wrong, maintaining the core service from the application is the most important function. But again it seems like very poor planning, again.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
I do not think it is a good idea to take WME offline and stop the editing. We can continue to edit and the edits will go live eventually.

What Waze should do it make a change to the emails that go out with the Update Requests to inform Wazers of the amount of time they can expect for the map updates to make it to the application. Be honest and conservative. When the updates catch back up again, the emails can be changed again. It should be very easy to update the content of the emails.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by HavanaDay
Well I guess the maps are “good” enough in Waze’s mind. I tend to try and stay out of these discussions, but it just seems that as editors we got the short stick, again. I also understand it is a chicken and egg problem but it does seem we are always at the bottom.

I know some will say it is free, love it or leave it. I tend to believe in that statement as well, but what most don’t understand, we are at the front lines of Waze. We deal with the issues and the users and are sometimes helpless to be able to fix them or have to wait ages to get the fixes uploaded. Instead we are left with voting (in the US at least) with colon placement. So I am at a crossroads right now trying to figure out if it is even worth it. It isn’t like we just asked for certain things yesterday. Some basic things have been going on for a while now (toll roads, etc). Why can’t toll roads be in the editor so we can start getting these mapped out. Even if it would take a little while longer to get the functionality into the client the process can be started You already have/had certain things in the client that doesn’t/didn’t function correctly. Why can’t roads have their own shields columns with a checkbox to determine if the roads should be shielded or not. Too hard, as a not trained programmer, it doesn’t seem too hard. We already have a separating line in the database that does absolutely nothing in the functionality.

So I ask the chicken and egg question, which is more important right now the editors fixing the maps and getting his fixes uploaded for all OR the user who just uses it for 30 minute commute a day?

It also isn’t like this is the first time this has happened either as describe in previous posts. If this was just the first time or it was just a short delay say this week only (we are forced to speculate because no timeframe was given)

Sorry if this seems jumbled, I had a nice post typed out but was logged out by the board server before it was submitted.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by HavanaDay
Two week's I would probably consider a time frame I can live with. But we have all been through those multiple weeks and months time frame as well.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
xteejx wrote:Or put the edits into a temporary db while the main one plays catch up, caching edits.... Wait that's just stupid..... Goodnight!
You mean it's not already being done like that? :?:
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
We know that feedback from the client hits the editor as soon as the drive is processed. You can see this by taking any seldom traveled road and making the direction "Unknown". Then go drive on it and look in WME and the direction will be set as soon as the drive shows up on the dashboard. I proved this months ago and Waze developers came into the forum thread and confirmed it.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Kandralla
Hey Waze, quit worrying about new features until you fix the problems with maps (inability to contact people who submit UR's, UR's often being placed at random unrelated locations, missing features in the new editor (divided roads, splitting segments, etc.), routing issues. Being able to find cheap gas isn't going to help anyone when it routes them 50 miles in the wrong direction down a railroad track. The map is your bread and butter, yet you're worrying about everything else.
Kandralla
Send a message
Area Manager for Pittsburgh and Erie, PA

Post by maantje76
If these 'problems' are going to take à long time again , it could maybe be better to keep updating the map on a weekly basis, but during this process, (how long does it take at the moment, 2 days?), put WME offline. It's not ideal, but as à temperory solution acceptable for everybody I think...and we are not creating à gigantic backlog again...

But maybe I say something stuppid right now ;)
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message