Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Security and False reporting

Post by
Im curious about the security and reporting of this application. I really like the idea and have been using it to map roads around me when driving.

But what im wondering/worried about, is if its possible for someone to say that a road is closed (major or minor) when it isnt.. thus disrupting everyones travel along that route.

i just want to know what measures are in place to stop something like this happening?

Thanks

POSTER_ID:8378339

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
It is possible for someone to go through and close roads, or worse, flat-out delete roads like crazy if they want. There are enough users who aren't assholes, who would notice, call attention to it, and Waze could revoke that other user's privileges. It's not nearly a perfect system.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
It is also unlikely that Waze will implement much of a solution before there is a problem. The plans they have for more granular and street-importance-based permissions are a step in the right direction. They are, at the moment, just plans.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by CBenson
I don't know if they are reliably that frequent. But many times the MPs show up the day after I have made an edit based on GPS data that is half a year old.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by Daknife
Actually the system will protect against this, maybe not by design but it works.

In my area we have a section of interstate undergoing a major rebuild, two weeks ago a rather heavily trafficked interchange was closed for a six week period. In anticipation of the closure I disconnected the ramps and the cut the road under the freeway (as that section of road is also closed) and did it timed for an update to have the closure go active a couple days after the interchange closed. From the time I made the edit until the interchange closed and a couple days afterwards I was seeing multiple UR's from the system because the roads were not connected yet traffic was flowing through the disconnects.

Thus the protection. Someone could try to be a joker or a jerk, but if any editors are paying attention to the area, they'll see UR's popping up almost as soon as the edits are made, and thus will most likely be able to fix the problem before it goes live.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by floppyrod84
Before it goes live? I'm not sure the auto problem reports are updated that frequently...

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Probably you buggers stealing our CPU time ;-)

We have some issues here with one or two specific users editing user A, stupidly and user B, destructively. Both messaged, user A stopped editing, user B continues to F things up, and despite contacting Waze 3 times (4 different MegaEditors here have problems with him), they seem unwilling or unable to do anything except to say "let us know if it continues". Well I have a few times, when are we going to see results?
Hate to say it, but you know how protective we all get, but when it's seemingly on purpose and the company do nothing, it doesn't bode well for them or us and is extremely disheartening after putting so much time and effort into it.

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
You need to look at the UK, Netherlands and Brazil. All have a base map.

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
OSM uses changesets that can be rolled back. Waze doesn't have anything like it. We should take notice, they're not the best Open Source map for nothing!

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Ermm...not only is this an old thread, but I think you may be subjecting yourself to excessive narcotics while reading comics.

Report the username to Waze.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Lol! Yeah use the nanorep thing on the support page to contact them.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message