Security and False reporting

Post by neon-samurai
Im curious about the security and reporting of this application. I really like the idea and have been using it to map roads around me when driving.

But what im wondering/worried about, is if its possible for someone to say that a road is closed (major or minor) when it isnt.. thus disrupting everyones travel along that route.

i just want to know what measures are in place to stop something like this happening?

Thanks
neon-samurai

POSTER_ID:8378339

Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Hehe :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
The map and routes are subject to editing problems and vandalism. There are few protections against this. We have been lucky so far that there have not been widespread issues. This is surely a negative of using a navigation solution that is based on community map updates.

I suspect that if we start to have more problems Waze will be forced to implement a better system to protect the map. They tend to wait until things become a problem before taking action.

The challenge for Waze is how to protect the map but not to prevent community map editors with good intentions from contributing.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
neon-samurai wrote:Im really liking waze and its concept, even though my area isnt very populated with waze users. So far this is the only drawback i can see, users being silly (the few bad apples) and frustrating the regular decent waze community.

Shame they cant use google maps (due to terms of service violations) to keep maps mostly accurate (not sure if they can use openmaps or not though http://www.openstreetmap.org/ .. some other gps systems are using this).
Google Maps are OSM edited by the end users also, although via moderation or some other 'security' features. These same issues can occur with Google Maps and OSM.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by jasonh300
xteejx wrote:Before it goes live? I'm not sure the auto problem reports are updated that frequently...
I've seen Map Problems come up before the changes go live. I saw it a lot a few months back when the updates were only coming every 30 days or more. I was able to catch a few things that a new inexperienced editor did before they ever hit the client maps.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
W. T. F. ???
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Kuhlkatz
xteejx wrote:Ermm...not only is this an old thread
Nothing wrong with reviving an old thread with a brand new plot.
It didn't pan out too bad for Rocky, Rambo or the Harry Potter 'franchises'. ;)
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing

Post by neon-samurai
but no one can actually do this without first driving on the road right (like they cant use the map editor to do this randomly can they?)

Guess im worried about the assholes who may do this. I love the idea of a community driven app such as this, that even adds an extra dimention to travel and navigation.. i just dont want it screwed up by some guy thinking he's funny (espically when people may be using this to navigate to work etc)
neon-samurai
Send a message

Post by neon-samurai
OK cool, so it sounds like there is something in place to prevent too much messing about with the maps :)
neon-samurai
Send a message

Post by neon-samurai
Im really liking waze and its concept, even though my area isnt very populated with waze users. So far this is the only drawback i can see, users being silly (the few bad apples) and frustrating the regular decent waze community.

Shame they cant use google maps (due to terms of service violations) to keep maps mostly accurate (not sure if they can use openmaps or not though http://www.openstreetmap.org/ .. some other gps systems are using this).

Seems like a solution would be to have some sort of base map, and users can make changes over the top, so that both user annoted data and original data can be displayed at the same time. Maybe this would allow people to see what officially exists, and what users recommend/suggest.
neon-samurai
Send a message