Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

[Page Update] House Numbers in WME

Post by subs5
The House number editing interface has changed so changing pictures to match the grey vice the old black.

Also a lot of new information about priorities for address search and requiring city on segment etc.

Original House Numbers in WME page.

Proposed changes.

Wazeopedia is not allowing photos to upload so posting them here

Using interface

Grey bar

Add House Number

Redo Undo Save

House Number already exists error

House Number Error
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 3

POSTER_ID:16976950

Send a message
Last edited by subs5 on Thu May 31, 2018 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by subs5
Mvan231 wrote:You made some great points about this update. You're correct, I only changed the Things to Remember section.

What do you mean difference on adding new HNs? Was it this line "* House numbers will only take the user to a location on the given segment." If so, what is wrong with it? Isn't it true?

I added this as well "If the house number is already included in the segment, then it should be deleted to reduce potential issues when searching."

I've made some further modifications based on your suggestions.

New diff here
I was referring to there is no difference between adding new HNs or editing existing HNs. I think it is more technically correct to say "House numbers will direct the user to the location of the HN's anchor point on the named road segment." This way it works for existing and new HNs AND it specifies the difference between a HN on a named road seegment and a RPP onto any given segement.
I agree with the other current modifications that you have made.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by subs5
RPPs have changed 4 times in the last few years.

Used to be they would could be named. Although not searchable by the name, if you hovered over a named one it would show, so easy to have the address (HN and street) in the name and you could verify it w/o selecting. That went away.
Then we needed to nudge the RPP to get it to work.
Then we needed to add an entry point to get it to work; nudging not required.
Then we need to have the exact city name in the RPP and the city as the primary or an alternate city on a nearby segment with the road's name.

Another example of things that don't go as planned is the TBSR of trucks prohibited. This is often a parkway consideration. When the TBSR changed to the new popup box formats, the backend change made some of the new revised TBSR as trucks prohibited and some as many types allowed but trucks were omitted. The many types allowed included private vehicle, taxi, and motorcycle. It did not include Electric. It takes a bit to figure out that the person selected electric vehicle for their Volt or Tesla since routing works properly in the app when tested. To compound the problem the adjacent segments have different TBSRs so you have to go through segment by segment (and also check the TBTRs too TR by TR) to find all of the offending problems. Waze has never had truck routing and there has been word that is not in the forseeable future for changes. So a not ever planned future improvement has caused problems in the map for routing during a change.

My experience is make things as simple as possible and when there is a known change considered to have it so that there does not have to be thought about which is selected. So which is used the HN or the RPP if the two are merged? That depends. An editor entered/edited RPP with the HN, street, city, and pin is most likely the best. A user submitted RPP with photo for home that is 4 houses over due to bad GPS that has incorrect data (HN, street, and or city or the Name of "Home" or "Susie's Casa" or "My son's piano teacher" or "the Magic Hot Tub Party Spot" [All actual RPP names over the years]" is probably not what we want. If a user has had enough PPs/APs etc approved they are trusted so the RPP does not generate a PUR. So leaving just the best pin location (RPP or HN) as the only one is the best choice in my opinion.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by subs5
It is very hard to compare the two versions line by line to see your changes.

You should have a summary of what is changed. Or highlight the changes on your proposed change page.

I do not agree with "The other option is to ask the reporter to log out of the app, then log back in to clear out the recent destinations." Logging out and back in has not cleared my information in history.

We don't know of any changes to the way HNs and RPPs are handled so the definitive "If the House Number already exists on the segment, there is no need to delete it due to the Address search hierarchy, it will choose the RPP before the HN." If there is a merge there is no guarentee that it will take the RPP over the HN for the destination.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by subs5
kentsmith9 wrote:I assume the Force House number error is also different and would require a new image as well.
Finally able to get pictures to load and display.
The new Force / Continue editing error message is included in all the pictures that I have updated.

All proposed changes that were discussed above have been made.

Thanks for all the help and recommendations.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by subs5
Still having problems with the pictures not showing even though uploaded the file. So will keep trying to see when fixed.

Also for the Markers section, it discusses "For large buildings such as box stores which have a single address, and addresses within shopping malls, it is recommended to NOT add the house number to Waze." It recommends to use PP or AP. That works for the store/restaurant name, but would recommend a change to say to use a residential place point, RPP

Actual Change is "For these locations, use a Place area or point." will become "For these locations, use a residential place point. A Place area or point with the store/restaurant name should also be added."
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by subs5
Understand, but between the 500 errors in WME and the no ability to upload a photo to wazeopedia, I finally gave up on the pictures till something can work properly. Will make sure all current photos are changed to new format as applicable.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message