[New Page] Interstate Exit Area Place (IEAs)

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

Re: [New Page] Interstate Exit Area Place (IEAs)

Postby bz2012 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:10 pm

dfw_gis wrote:
DwarfLord wrote:... Some of those drivers would be tempted to stare at the display a bit harder in order to read the text. ....Others must have as well. During this effort, there is no doubt we are visually and cognitively impaired.

If drivers have to accept visual and cognitive impairment in order to read the Exit # on the proposed Area Places while driving, is that something the editing community should encourage?

In my opinion I'm for minimizing detail at high speeds to discourage the scenario you are describing. The extra two or three seconds to focus on the app. Of course with a wide range of users comes a wide range of preferences. There is some merit to the idea of seeing an exit number but it would have to be done in a way for a quick glance and cognitive processing. As for myself I'll rely on the instructions in the top ribbon committing the exit number to memory ( *sets up humorous response* :) ) as I travel in areas I'm unfamiliar with.

A solution (that will probably never happen) would be for Waze to set up a hierarchy of details and allow the users to take the default (lowest detail display) or choose from several levels of detail and set up WME so that various features could be placed in the appropriate detail catagory.
Hm... well it was fun to think about the idea for a while.
State Manager, Louisiana
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby dfw_gis » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:35 pm

Kartografer wrote:Don't knock it till you try it. I mean it might be worth drawing an interchange place in various environments where you drive and considering the effect on the display at highway speeds and zoom levels.

I concur heartily. The discussion itself shows there is some merit and testing as Kartographer suggested in certain areas where editors travel and an expected amount of decent Wazer travel could yield a volume of information from the testing. $0.02
dfw_gis(5)
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]

U.S. Country Manager - Based in South Central Region
dfw_gis
State Manager
State Manager

Postby dfw_gis » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:35 am

kyhtak wrote:Point well taken. I wondered if creating AP's could be restricted . . . new editors don't typically draw things correctly, or give them the correct categories anyway, as has been well-demonstrated in WME.
Thanks!

APs *could* be restricted for R1s akin to the limitations they have set on them currently however I would hesitate to add more to them as this could discourage contributing. As messy as the occasional new editor can be they provide a great calling card for their arrival (as opposed to making segment edits) which allows us to connect with them and give them a chance to join the community and us a chance to teach them the ways. :) $0.02
dfw_gis(5)

dfw_gis
State Manager
State Manager

Postby dfw_gis » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:43 am

It appears fairly unobtrusive. I would be curious if you could post the same in 'night-mode' and see if there is a greater contrast. Great discussion.
dfw_gis(5)

dfw_gis
State Manager
State Manager

Postby dfw_gis » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:49 pm

DwarfLord wrote:... Some of those drivers would be tempted to stare at the display a bit harder in order to read the text. ....Others must have as well. During this effort, there is no doubt we are visually and cognitively impaired.

If drivers have to accept visual and cognitive impairment in order to read the Exit # on the proposed Area Places while driving, is that something the editing community should encourage?

In my opinion I'm for minimizing detail at high speeds to discourage the scenario you are describing. The extra two or three seconds to focus on the app. Of course with a wide range of users comes a wide range of preferences. There is some merit to the idea of seeing an exit number but it would have to be done in a way for a quick glance and cognitive processing. As for myself I'll rely on the instructions in the top ribbon committing the exit number to memory ( *sets up humorous response* :) ) as I travel in areas I'm unfamiliar with.
dfw_gis(5)

dfw_gis
State Manager
State Manager

Postby dfw_gis » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:20 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:....Then in the details of the article, we would discuss the pros and cons of the guidance so people understand why there may be differences between states. We would add the link to the state/region selection page.

Contact your local Region leadership for more details if this can or should be applied.
dfw_gis(5)

dfw_gis
State Manager
State Manager

Postby dfw_gis » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:25 am

herrchin wrote: ....especially when the road design relative to the surrounding features doesn't necessarily create that at-a-glance identification of the interchange.

I'm enjoying seeing where this idea develops and goes while also enjoying the conversation with you all. Would it be possible that the exit interchange APs would be a good addition to difficult/complicated interchanges or is the idea more intended for application at all exits? Purely thinking out loud :) $0.02
dfw_gis(5)

dfw_gis
State Manager
State Manager

Postby dfw_gis » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:52 pm

I think this need could just vary from location to location. There are undoubtedly interchanges, key ones at that, that could benefit from some sort of quickly visible reference relative to the location of the Waze arrow or vehicle. Perhaps on an as-needed basis. Congested urban areas could yield a need, desolate stretches of plains states where each exit sign is broadcast well in advance perhaps not. $0.02
dfw_gis(5)

dfw_gis
State Manager
State Manager

Postby DwarfLord » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:31 pm

HBiede wrote:While this is not as useful in more cramped urban areas, it is a nice addition in more rural expanses.

Having driven long-distance with Waze in wide open spaces in states like Arizona, Mississippi, and New Mexico, I can sure see the benefit to having some kind of additional orientation cue on the display.

Where it gets tricky is with the cramped urban areas to which the OP refers.

In my experience, if multiple Area Place names are competing, Waze will not display them all. I've seen this with, for example, a large private office park Area Place (non-compliant) that out-competed an adjacent airfield. The airfield was a critical landmark with a huge (dirigible!) hangar visible from all over the region, so it certainly deserved to have its name displayed.

So -- in a dense area with multiple Area Places, it is not guaranteed that the Interchange Area Place name would successfully out-compete the names of other nearby Area Places. Or, vice versa,the Interchange Area Place name could out-compete other Area Places nearby (especially gas stations). It could be difficult to predict at edit time which would happen. It could even vary from drive to drive.

Finally, in a dense location with many Area Place names displayed, drivers would be less able to benefit from the Interchange name because it would render with exactly the same color and font as everything else and would not stand out.

What would be the best for drivers in cramped urban areas? I'm not sure there's a clear-cut answer. I'd like to see this discussed and some kind of principle established for when an Interchange Area Place does not belong.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby DwarfLord » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:35 pm

MacroNav wrote:...can we create a USA wiki page for this, that can be linked to from the regions/states that want them? I think this is much better than having no published guide (as is now) or maintaining entries on each state page.

Do we have other USA pages for features that are "opt-in", i.e., "here is national guidance but do not use it unless your state guidance OKs it"?

I understand how that might be better than multiple state pages having identical extended verbiage, which does seem a bit silly. But I don't feel good about the general principle of "opt-in" national guidance. National guidance should be national guidance.

If some clear and easy-to-follow rules could be evolved for when to use such a thing and when not to, I'd be more comfortable getting it into national guidance and allow those states that still don't like it to opt-out.

BUT, on the other hand, some drivers and junior editors may not understand why some interchanges are mapped and others aren't. The drivers could feel that Waze is being inconsistent, and the editors could take it on themselves to map interchanges in a noncompliant way. If we make it a state thing, then both drivers and junior editors might intuitively understand.

Which brings us back to the idea of "opt-in" national guidance, which makes me squirm. Hmmm. I understand why rural editors want this, but I'm not seeing good clean ways of making it national guidance.

I'll think some more about this, but in the meantime, could we at least change the title to include the word "Rural"? E.g., "Rural Interstate Exit Area Place"? I think there's general agreement these are unproductive and quite likely counterproductive in non-rural areas.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Next

Return to US Wiki Discussion