[New Page] Interstate Exit Area Place (IEAs)

Moderator: USA Champs

Re: [New Page] Interstate Exit Area Place (IEAs)

Postby herrchin » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:53 pm

Kartografer wrote:You've probably noticed that most street names are not displayed when navigating, but not all. This isn't binary. We want to display enough useful information without overloading the user.

I agree, and I didn't state my point well. When Waze shows you a nearby road name that is not part of your route, it is in the hopes that its position relative to your position, turn, or destination is of visual navigational use (as opposed to spoken instructions). The same as our intent with other landmarks.
USA Country Manager / UT SM
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
herrchin
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby herrchin » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:44 pm

I'd say it differently. I'd say that if area place names on the map are of navigational benefit, then we should embrace other potential opportunities to do so. If they are of negligible benefit, and too much of a distraction, then we should entertain killing some/all of them (or pushing for an app change...).

If you don't agree that area place shapes and/or text for interchanges adds navigational benefit, then that is fine. I think they have several potential and valuable uses, previously discussed.

That there is a Junction/Interchange place type in Waze indicates some Waze staff thought it a valuable object within Waze (at some point). That the USA community decided they are to be an Area Place when mapped (not Point) also indicates some level of past evaluation. There is no USA guidance on them that says "do not use", which some place types do have. This is not a logical fallacy of "appeal to authority" or similar; I'm noting that past minds saw fit to create and debate them, and it has not yet resulted in guidance to limit to Point Place or forbid mapping of them.

For the places in the USA that have had them for 6 years, I'm not aware of a single app user complaint, nor editor complaint.
USA Country Manager / UT SM
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
herrchin
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby jm6087 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:53 am

Nagamasa wrote:Do you have a more generic example, say for a stack interchange? :) Would be great if we had some reference templates to standard interchange designs.

Do you mean something like the High 5 in Dallas?
https://www.waze.com/en-US/editor?env=u ... 449&zoom=5

[ img ]
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby jm6087 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:07 am

tonestertm wrote:Sorry, but I personally have to violently disagree with this practice. The more words that are put on the screen, the more time eyes have to spend there to read them. Studies are already showing that the impact of distracted driving (which includes any activity that takes a driver's eyes off the road, and particularly tasks that involve reading text) is increasing crash (and death) rates. In this case, trying to make out tiny text on the map only makes it worse and more dangerous than looking away from the road in the first place, and since the time when this addition might be of use is while driving... bad idea.

I tend to agree with Tony on this one. I think that the driver should be paying attention to the road and not the app. They should just be glancing at the app to ensure they are taking the correct exit or making the correct turn or when at a stop light. They shouldn't be trying to "read" the app while drive 75 mph down the interstate.

HBiede wrote:While I agree that distracted driving is an issue, I don't believe that something at most 8 characters long is a cause for concern when we consider the amount of information we include on other places/segments such as ramps with names like "to US-281 / N-2 / to I-80 / Hastings / St. Paul, Grand Island, Nebraska"

The name on the ramp is not necessarily for visual purposes as much as it is for audio purposes. It is so the driver can hear all that information, not read it.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby jm6087 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:59 am

But it is only shown when exit is part of the route. It is not displayed on the map constantly.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby JoeRodriguez12 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:55 pm

I think this is a cool idea and that it can help in some cases, however, I don't know if I fully agree its something we should attempt to standardize nationally. Both sides bring up good points for the text being distracting. I don't however believe users should have to rely on Waze to visually show an AP text that shows what exit is coming up. Thats more or less on them and can start to bring into the discussion, "having to rely on looking at your phone to tell you what exit you are at vs looking at road markers" I would think generally an average user wouldn't really care what exit is ahead unless its the exit they are taking, or one slightly before the exit they are taking. We have instructions for that. Plus there are many more mile markers on the sides of the road along with BGS's all over the highway, that show up much more frequently than the actual exit, to tell you what mile marker you are at.

On another note I do also think Waze could do a much better job for displaying this kind of information. The way we have it with APs is kind of wonky and hacky. It may be easier/more natural for a user using CarPlay or Android auto to look at their car screen more often, as they have a nice big screen built into the car, it may not look as great nor be as useful with just the regular phone mount.

There is also the issue of when to map them as well. I think anywhere in an urban area is a no go, even suburban areas I wouldn't be fond of either. Its just way more clutter on the map and there are so many exit signs and other mile markers that there is no point to adding an AP to tell you what exit is ahead (May be slightly biased as I drive in Chicago where everyone drives like a bat out of hell and don't have time to look at their phone screen before getting cut off :lol: ). I would think the average user is going to rely much more on spoken instruction versus looking at the app and noticing, "oh my exit is coming up, I should move over" to get over for their exit. And even if they do see it, it wouldn't really prompt them to move over as soon as they see it. Kind of like you mentioned in your original post: "In the rarest of rare cases..."

That being said, in much much more rural areas I wouldn't be as opposed to seeing them, it may or may not be a little helpful. At least us map editors i'm sure, would greatly appreciate it much more than the average user would ;)

So long story short, I think this is a tricky topic to get national consensus on. I just thought I would share my thoughts about the idea to think about. Maybe this is better to keep regionally as getting consensus on a national level will probably create more headaches trying to come up with 1 standard versus regional standards.

I hope this helps! :D
Local Champ: USA
Assistant Regional Coordinator: GLR
GLR Collaboration Liaison - Waze Socks Guy
iOS Beta Leader / Alpha Tester

[ img ][ img ] [ img ][ img ] [ img ]
Welcome Page
Illinois Michigan
Illinois Waze Facebook Illinois Waze Twitter
JoeRodriguez12
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby JoeRodriguez12 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:28 pm

DwarfLord wrote:
MacroNav wrote:...can we create a USA wiki page for this, that can be linked to from the regions/states that want them? I think this is much better than having no published guide (as is now) or maintaining entries on each state page.

Do we have other USA pages for features that are "opt-in", i.e., "here is national guidance but do not use it unless your state guidance OKs it"?

I understand how that might be better than multiple state pages having identical extended verbiage, which does seem a bit silly. But I don't feel good about the general principle of "opt-in" national guidance. National guidance should be national guidance.

I agree, there really shouldn't be a national page on this if only some regions use it. I would say it would be better for one region to create it and if other regions want to link to it or copy/tweak it to their regions standards, then they can do so. Its one thing to to have national guidance on something and have some small tweaks specific for 1 region but for a region(s) to not use a whole guidance, there shouldn't be a national page for it
Local Champ: USA
Assistant Regional Coordinator: GLR
GLR Collaboration Liaison - Waze Socks Guy
iOS Beta Leader / Alpha Tester

[ img ][ img ] [ img ][ img ] [ img ]
Welcome Page
Illinois Michigan
Illinois Waze Facebook Illinois Waze Twitter
JoeRodriguez12
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby johnsninja58 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:52 pm

I think this is a great idea and would add value to the map, it may even add value when trying to enter in RTC when you are searching for that specific location in WME mobile (sure easier to click on the Area Place than a segment).

I share the question on best practice for intersecting highways where there would be multiple exits at the same location. The other question I have (and recognize it may not be a necessary element) is should there be guidance on a stop point or not?

You have my support on this for Vermont.
-John
-------
[ img ][ img ]
VT - State Manager
New England - Multi State Manager
johnsninja58
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator

Postby johnsninja58 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:20 am

I think the human factor of what constitutes a distraction is much more complicated than text on a screen.

An over simplification of the value of an area place would be a landmark or place of significance in giving directions. An exit number is significant. How the end user uses this is a different conversation. I like the IEAs (although the acronym does not roll off the tongue right), and think especially as states move to the mileage based exit ramps more and more it has more value. This is something that may not be ready for national adoption but for the areas that are interested it may serve value to standardize the approach.

Fun read if you want to think about GPS effects on the brain
-John
-------
[ img ][ img ]
VT - State Manager
johnsninja58
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator

Postby johnsninja58 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:58 am

HBiede wrote:
johnsninja58 wrote:I like the IEAs (although the acronym does not roll off the tongue right)

Not a massive deal compared to deciding to use them, but I debated using Freeway Exit Areas (FEA) instead.

Just giving you a hard time on the number of vowels :D
-John
-------
[ img ][ img ]
VT - State Manager
johnsninja58
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator

PreviousNext

Return to US Wiki Discussion