Important messages to community users. This forum is locked (waze staff only).
Post by pivale
Is it possible to have waze still working in sleep mode (with the screen off after pressing the shutdown button)?

My problem is that whenever I get an alert or SMS, this seems to break the always on mode from waze, and iphone will enter sleep mode without my notice. It then breaks the GPS and data connections and I get lost somewhere 300km off-course (just kidding :P)

Just my 2 cents...
pivale
Send a message
Leça da Palmeira, Portugal

Dropbox Referral: Get 2,25 GB instead of 2GB by using this link.
https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTk0MzkwOTk

Post by QuickOK
Ehh, I think maybe they are still tinkering with passive reporting... it works for about 10 minutes and then goes out, it's a cycle. Anyway, I like how it doesn't show "treats" when you are zoomed way out. I've not tried routing yet, but the alternate route feature should be fun once we get a build-up of wazers in my area.
QuickOK
Send a message

Post by robin1979
zzyzxuk wrote:I'm interested in the "auto-learn routes to your frequent destinations" feature... what does that do?
Where did you find that?
robin1979
Send a message
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe

Post by robin1979
zzyzxuk wrote:Settings / General
(it's at the bottom)
There's something about it on the blog:
http://www.waze.com/blog/new-version-on ... -appstore/
robin1979
Send a message
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe

Post by Shorty-CM
Not sure I understand why you would want do have it learn your alternative routes. I certainly don't know average speeds of all segments of roads better than Waze does. And I don't know how anyone could claim to. People always like to claim they know the streets and traffic better than any GPS possibly could, including Waze. Problem is, that is not true, and could not be true, at least not once Waze actually has a good amount of data for your area. The only time you would know more than Waze is when it doesn't have enough average segment speed data, and/or turning restrictions for your area's intersections are not yet correct. Once the restrictions are correct, it doesn't make sense to do anything except trust Waze's route, even when you think it's being stupid. Following Waze even when you think it's leading you on a poor route just means that that poor route will be getting better average segment speed data as a result, and in short order it will no longer bring you on that poor route, as better routes will become evident. You teaching it your "better" alternative route isn't going to help give you the optimal route anymore than driving poor routes will.

If you just want to continue driving your same old route regardless of how optimal it is, what's the point of using Waze? The whole point of using Waze is supposed to be to get the optimal route given current conditions. The optimal route isn't necessarily what you think it will be at any given time. The optimal route will always be the one that takes the shortest amount of time. So you take the average speeds of all segments, factor in current traffic reports, and calculate the shortest travel time from that. You will never be able to do better than that. A computer will always do that better than you, when given all relevant data. That means Waze wins, unless it has insufficent data. Your personal alternate routes are irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. And you thinking they're relevant is rather puzzling. Because you do not and cannot know better than the computer, unless the computer is data-starved.
Shorty-CM
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Shorty-CM
Nice to see you didn't even bother reading what I wrote, since you just repeated things I just said, heh. Also nice to see that you're forgetting there are other Waze users out there, and each and every one of them will cause YOUR routes to be altered when they run into that construction and are slowed and delayed.

You know YOUR routes better than Waze. Waze knows the OPTIMAL routes better than you ever will, because you cannot know them. The fact that you don't even understand that is what makes me wonder why you're using Waze. Waze's sole purpose for existence is exactly what you think it cannot do. Tell me this:

Pick any road near you, any road you've driven on. Especially one you've driven on hundreds, if not thousands of times. Picture in your mind a cross street on that road. And the cross road directly after that one. Picture that segment of the first road only between the first cross street and the second cross street. You probably know every single house or business on that block. You probably know every single car parked there day in and day out. You probably know there's a little dip just before that third parking lot entrance. What is your average speed for that segment? Even if you know the speed limit is <whatever> and you know that you do your best to never speed, you can't tell me with 100% certainty what your average speed is for that segment. Or if you think you can, the likelihood of you being even fairly close is pretty small. Every single time you drive it something different happens. Every single time you drive it something can change how fast you're driving through there. You don't go through at exactly the same speed every single time. Traffic changes. Lights trigger at random times, and you stop or merely slow down at random times. Even if you go down there with your cruise control on, with an OCD-level of accuracy for setting it at exactly the speed limit. Traffic changes. Traffic changes affect average speeds. Waze knows exactly what the average speed is for that one particular segment of every single Waze driver that has driven that segment of road. You do not know that information. You don't even know that information for your own driving, let alone every single Waze user that's gone down there. Waze does. And it knows that information for each and every single segment of road that Waze users have driven on. *That* information is what Waze uses to determine optimal routes. Couple that with traffic reports, information that you have absolutely no way of knowing yourself, and Waze can give you minute-by-minute optimal routes. That's the whole reason it exists. Because this is not information you can know. This is, however, information computers can compute for you. Sorry to tell you, but like I said, you do not know better than a functional Waze. You can think you do all you like, but I'm sorry, you're wrong.
Shorty-CM
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Shorty-CM
No, you didn't, because you started by saying something I said as if you were 'showing me'. Heh. You can think whatever you like about your own abilities. Computers still do better at math than you do. And you can't possibly hold all the figures in your head that are in Waze's database, even just your own driving data. The fact that you think you can is pretty darn funny. And proves discussing this with you is pointless since it is way over your head.
Shorty-CM
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Shorty-CM
Like I said...
Shorty-CM
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Shorty-CM
I turned auto-lock off a long time ago because of this. I guess they could periodically poll the device to see if they're still blocking auto-lock. Or maybe they can't. Anyway, I turned it off and I don't mind hitting the button to lock it myself.
Shorty-CM
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by sketch
Some people like to take the long way home. With the alternate routes feature, Waze can tell you if the long way home is actually quicker because of traffic.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!