Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by jm6087
MacroNav wrote:
sketch wrote:The proposed policy is to use area places for all airports. That's it. No more, no less. The principles stated here work well for the category of airports, and discussion here need focus only on airports. If we are satisfied that airports are well served with the proposed guidance for airports, we can move on to details.
My main request is to set limits to the definition of "Airport." If it is a public or private facility that has an improved runway, provides services, transient parking, leased hangers, etc. - sounds like an airport to me. A backyard or farm airstrip that is mowed once a year for use only by the property owner doesn't, and fills the app with spurious data.

To me it's similar to how we don't generally go through sat view mapping every track across private property as a Street. We have a separate type for PR, and we only add these if they go to a residence. We don't map inside most industrial facilities, mines, etc. We don't allow Place Points for "Mom's House" - we have RPP's instead. These types distinguish between what is useful to the public and what is useful only for the property owner/resident. I suggest we apply similar discrimination to airfields, and follow a naming standard so there is distinction in the app between those welcoming the public and those that aren't.
If we didn't have RPPs, we would probably have some sort of guidance for "Mom's House" to map them. If there was a different option for the various types of airports then we could have guidance accordingly, but we don't.

In all my discussions, I have agreed that an airstrip that is mowed once a year does not qualify as an airstrip. That is why 4 or 5 pages ago I added "or satellite view" to the scope. Odds are "mowed once a year" won't be visible from satellite.
==Scope==
Airport area places should be drawn for all public-use airports, regardless of size or facilities. Private-use airports should only be mapped as Area Place if a large clearing and/or easily-recognizable aviation-related structures are visually obvious from public roads or satellite view, or the airport offers services to the general public such as flying lessons or demonstrations. For how to distinguish between public-use and private-use airports, see Names.

===Category===
The airport category should only be used either for facilities that qualify for airport area places or on point places for airline terminals. For other airport-associated business places, such as charter services or air freight forwarders, a different category should be used.
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 21
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
MacroNav wrote:In my opinion, creating places that aren't useful to 99.99% of users is a problem, in this scenario:

I'm an infrequent traveler, or I'm in a strange place. I'm running late to catch my flight, so I use Waze to get there as soon as possible. I type in "airport" into search, because who the heck knows which person it's named for, what municipality it's located in, or what indecipherable code letters it uses. Even though there is only one airport with scheduled flights within 100 miles, I see airports scattered all over the map and get pages of results from search within 50 miles. Maybe I select the right one, maybe not. Maybe I miss my flight, maybe not.
We map a lot of things that aren't useful to 99.9% of the users, RPP is one of them.

Based off that scenario, we should not map any airport that does not offer scheduled flights to prevent a possible wrong selection. If you don't know the name of the airport, how do you know that you selected the correct airport anyway. Maybe you selected the skydiving airport, so you still miss your flight.
If you are running late to catch your flight (should have set Waze to remind you when to leave :D ), which means you purchased a ticket to fly. Your ticket will tell you the airport you are supposed to go to.
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
Otto wrote:Did anyone here actually follow MacroNav's instructions in his second post in this thread?

MacroNav wrote:
Here's a couple "airports". Zoom out to 1 and pan around the map with GIS-L airports on. Have a look. Do you think all those dots should be airport area places?
I did not follow those actual instructions but a little later MacroNav gave 6 samples to look at and I did look at each one and respond.

Just because GIS-L shows an airport does not mean one should be created, the script is just a tool to aid mapping. The editor still needs to look at the actual map to decide if it should be mapped or not.
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
MacroNav wrote:I would like Waze to display useful airports so I can recognize the one I'm looking for using a list and map. With the noise of every private landing strip displayed the same as a public airport, it is much less likely that I'll find the useful entries.
What is useful to you may not be useful to another app user. I thought we try our hardest to be useful to as many app users as possible which would include the private airstrip that offers flying lessons or does skydiving.

That being said, the Area Place vs Place Point part of the discussion would have zero effect on what your saying is useful to you, AP or PP, the list would still include them and the vast majority of the time viewing the actual map to look at the AP would be pretty obvious between a small airstrip and a small "public" airport (much less larger ones like DFW, HOU, IAH, etc) unless you are suggesting that we only map "public" airports. (I hope not)

Once again, IMO, just because it is listed in GIS-L, FAA database or any other website, doesn't mean an automatic mapping of the airport/airstrip. 5 of the 6 examples you provided a while back I have already gone on record a couple times saying they should not be mapped because they don't exist beyond the FAA point in GIS-L.
As I have stated several times throughout the discussion, if the place is obviously an airport/airstrip (private or not) then it should be mapped IMO. If it is not obviously an airport/airstrip then it should not be mapped. Period.
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by juliansean
Just wanted to bring to everyone's attention that "rental car unified" has an issue. You can only link 4 places and unified rental car places "usually" have way more than four. I am duplicating the place to link the rest as an interim solution.
juliansean
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message
Sean Julian
CM
SM: TX, LA, MS, AR, OK
AM: SE FL, Boston, MA, Brooklyn, NY, Bronx, NY, Manhattan, NY, Queens, NY, E CA, SW KS

Post by juliansean
So name them 1, 2, 3 etc with car companies linked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
juliansean
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Sean Julian
CM
AM: SE FL, Boston, MA, Brooklyn, NY, Bronx, NY, Manhattan, NY, Queens, NY, E CA, SW KS

Post by juliansean
Understood. Thanks for clarifying.

juliansean
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Sean Julian
CM

Post by juliansean
Will do. Great idea.

juliansean
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Sean Julian
CM

Post by juliansean
Thanks everyone for helping. The only part I'm confused on is do I create one point for the general rental car area AND the individual rental companies or do I just create the individual car companies (assuming more than 4 companies)? Thank you.
juliansean
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Sean Julian
CM

Post by juliansean
I’m all for it. Let’s get it published. Thanks for following up.

juliansean
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Sean Julian
CM