Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

L2>L1 Unlock (un-named road)

Post by df91fd23419f4f1691987db2256dbf22
I have added my local road that is currently missing from the map but I am unable to join it to the R474

https://www.waze.com/editor?env=row&lon ... =371429630

I have only just joined Waze and I am Level 1 only.
Looking to contribute going forward.

regards,
Brian.
df91fd23419f4f1691987db2256dbf22

POSTER_ID:17819821

Send a message

Post by davidg666
Hi Brian,
df91fd23419f4f1691987db2256dbf22 wrote:I have added my local road that is currently missing from the map but I am unable to join it to the R474

https://www.waze.com/editor?env=row&lon ... =371429630

I have only just joined Waze and I am Level 1 only.
Looking to contribute going forward.
Cool - thanks for contributing to the map!

I've connected your new road to the R474. We usually keep R-roads locked at level 2, so if you keep editing and get to level 2, you'll be able to attach your new roads directly.

I took the liberty of removing the city name of "Connolly" from your new road, because as far as I can tell it's not within the boundaries of the town/village of Connolly. It also looks like an unsurfaced road - is it open to the public, and just not tarmaced?

Thanks again for contributing, and do keep on editing.

Incidentally, we have a subforum for unlock requests (just to keep them together), so you can post future requests there: viewforum.php?f=1558 - we also have a Google Hangout for editors in Ireland, which might get a quicker responses for some issues - see this post: viewtopic.php?f=119&t=235977

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
KonaEV wrote:I take your point about the City Name as it is indeed just outside of Connolly, but that is what is in our postal address.
Yeah, I know - lots of places outside of towns/cities/villages have the name of the nearest town/city/village as part of their postal address. One reason for only including the city name in road segments that are actually inside the boundaries are that they display differently in the app and in the editor. If every segment had a city name set, then it wouldn't be possible to see which areas are inside towns and which are outside towns.

In the editor, set it to display cities, then zoom out all the way: each city is shaded in a colour, so it's easy to see where cities are. If all the roads around a city had that city name, then the map would be a mess of overlapping coloured shapes.

The most important reason for only giving roads inside a town/city/village the city name is that Waze uses the shape of the city to work out where its centre point is. Then when a user just puts (for example) a village name into Waze, they expect to be navigated to the middle of that village. If they end up being navigated to some point that's in the middle of nowhere (from their point of view), then they end up not being navigated to where they want to go.

I think it's quite common for users to just enter a city name and expect to be taken there. If a user wants to be taken somewhere outside it, then they can enter the townland name, or, if they know exactly where they're going, the Eircode of the house they're going to. Since most rural addresses include the townland name, that should get them to where they're going, although townlands are not unique around the country and we don't have townland names on all country roads.

Summary of my ramble: please only set the city name on segments that are actually inside a town/city/village :)
It is a narrow, public road that is surfaced, but it only serves the houses along it - it is effectively a dead end.
I was tempted to label it as a narrow street but felt it was unnecessary as it would never be used to re-route anyone on a journey.
The narrow street label is a new thing, and we often don't use it. I think its main purpose is to discourage routing along a particularly narrow road, although if the user's destination is on that road, users have to be sent along it anyway. I almost never set the narrow road type on any road.

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by KonaEV
Many thanks David.
I take your point about the City Name as it is indeed just outside of Connolly, but that is what is in our postal address.
It is a narrow, public road that is surfaced, but it only serves the houses along it - it is effectively a dead end.
I was tempted to label it as a narrow street but felt it was unnecessary as it would never be used to re-route anyone on a journey.
Thanks for the heads-up about the Hangout - If I find something more urgent I will use that in future.

Brian.
KonaEV
Send a message

Post by KonaEV
YanisKyr wrote:Hey Brian, welcome on board! On a slightly unrelated note, can I ask - was this "df91fd23419f4f1691987db2256dbf22" an auto generated username, and how did you manage to change it?
Many thanks - Yes, this name was assigned automatically - and I think it was a bug because my default nickname in the app was Wazer - when I changed this my new name showed up here in my new posts.

Looking forward to getting to level 2 to speed up the corrections in my area but the points system seems very slow to filter through :-)
KonaEV
Send a message

Post by YanisKyr
Hey Brian, welcome on board! On a slightly unrelated note, can I ask - was this "df91fd23419f4f1691987db2256dbf22" an auto generated username, and how did you manage to change it?

This segment was overlapping but not connected - I fixed this now.
https://www.waze.com/editor?env=row&lon ... =371429629

On the Narrow Street, this road type adds a penalty for cars (no penalty for motorbikes), and it only has an impact when routing through it. Visually I think it looks very similar to Private Road (narrow yellow-ish).
YanisKyr
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... r-N-N5.gif
Coordinator & Booster for Cyprus | CM for Ireland | GC for the entire world