Post by tcalvert317m
This sounds like a difference in opinions among RCs and GCs. How can we ensure that this is adequately vetted and discussed so that changes are made then undone? How about taking an R6 vote along with an agreement on consensus?
tcalvert317m
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by tcalvert317m
The only other idea I would have is to add the Car Rental names that are linked to the end of the place name. Not really a fan of it
example would be
Place Point #1 = IAH Car Rental Center - National / Payless / Avis / Hertz
Place Point #2 = IAH Car Rental Center - Budget / Firefly
I don't have a better idea for naming. That will work.
tcalvert317m
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by tcalvert317m
kentsmith9 wrote:TC317, I am not sure I am following your proposal. When I read it I can see three different possibilities. Maybe you can compare with what I have here if similar.

At first I liked this "rental" term better than my own. However, when I write it out as I think we should be for consistency, the phrase is too visually similar in my mind to not get misread.

"Hertz car rental - MSY"
"Hertz car return - MSY"

May I propose we adjust to:

Split PP locations
"Hertz rental counter - MSY"
"Hertz vehicle return - MSY"

Single PP location
"Hertz rental - MSY"

I also think this is less ambiguous since in the original example "Hertz car rental - MSY" does not exclude the vehicle return if you don't notice the separate vehicle return entry.

Now with split locations we are being specific to the activity at that location and with single PP locations it is all encompassing.
Yes, I agree with what you wrote, and that was what I intended to say. I would like to blame my ambiguous response on all of the wonderful pharmaceuticals running through my body right now (I had bilateral TMJ replacement on Monday). The last several days have been challenging.

At least that sounds good! :lol:
tcalvert317m
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by tcalvert317m
sketch wrote:Not crazy about this, I would prefer the following:

"Hertz – MSY" either for the one and only or for the counter if separate; and
"Hertz car return – MSY" for the return, tracking the generic "Rental Car Return" language.

If I am alone on thinking that the dichotomy between "Hertz" and "Hertz car return" is not clear enough in a search for "hertz", then I would prefer "Hertz counter" for the former (i.e., your original proposal).
I can see it simplified like this too. IMO, I think the differentiation between the return and counter locations can be very helpful for the separated facilities.
tcalvert317m
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by tcalvert317m
sketch wrote: Not proper nouns, right, generally anyway—I mischaracterized the issue in my post. What we're really looking at is Title Case. I don't think there is any place we don't use Title Case in place names outside of parentheticals and the occasional purely-informational appendage, e.g., "Rest Area (no toilet) - I-10 W mile 425". "Rest Area" isn't a proper noun, but we use title case for the main place name.

We do the same with parking lots... not that I necessarily agree with some applications of that, but it's what we do at this point.
I agree that the misuse of tittle case is used elsewhere and would be acceptable.
tcalvert317m
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message