Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by t0cableguy
took me a few minutes but i figured it out, thanks.
t0cableguy
Send a message
I'm no longer editing. Please don't contact me with things regarding Waze, unless you want the info on how to take over the SE URcomments list. Then email or send me a message on GHO at gmail.com t0cableguy@

Post by Tiamet
I would like to get Tennessee's page on the new template. How do I get started?
Tiamet
Map Editor - level 2
Map Editor - level 2
Send a message
Editing mostly in Middle TN
[img]https:///AXSGQ[/img]

Post by Tiamet
PesachZ wrote:Under mapping resources section in the hard coded text for all states should we add a brief one sentence link to the page on not using external sources (Copyright)?
I like that idea. As a newer editor, I didn't know about this until someone mentioned it in chat by chance.
Tiamet
Map Editor - level 2
Map Editor - level 2
Send a message
Editing mostly in Middle TN
[img]https:///AXSGQ[/img]

Post by tonestertm
Having a clear description of what Area Managed means is no more technocratic than having Ranks and Managed Areas.

As both DwarfLord and qwaletee have indicated, the AM listing on the State pages is intended to as a reference for new and visiting editors for whom to seek guidance from regarding a particular area. As formal AMs are not given lightly, and there is expected to be some "pride of ownership" for a given Area, a listing in the Area Managed column should mean that editor is particularly qualified to help in that area. The Area Managed column is not simply a "comment field" letting others know where an editor may have driven; there is a separate Comment field for whatever an editor wishes to add.

The Area Managed should list areas granted for the purpose of management (be they formally or informally assigned), no more. We hope that an AM for a given area will know that area better, and be able to give better assistance, than the average editor who drives through it once a year. True, that a person's driving may give them additional area to work in, and therefore effectively "manage", but you won't find their name in the list of Area Managers on any segment in that area. THAT could be a source for confusion.
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/y7f2gsiomkpxbe6/CA_SM_Rocket_Shear_Alpha_50.png?dl=0
ARC for SW Region, USA
Global Champ, US Local Champ
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!

Post by tonestertm
I would not be OK with "Usual Editing/Editable Area". It's an Area Manager table. The obvious intent is to list the Area that AM has been given to Manage within the state. There is a Comments column which can be used for Other Important Info.

I'm a California State Manager. I go to Oregon every year, thus regularly opening editing area there. By extension of the previous argument, It would seem I should list myself in the Oregon Wiki as a State Manager, too.

I do understand the argument that an AM should be able to help in areas they usually drive, outside their normal AM Area, and I would encourage them to do so. I would not expect them to list these areas in the middle column. However, once they had reached a certain level of competency, I would also encourage them to submit for a Managed Area Expansion to encompass their usual driving area. This puts them on the AM layer for that area, indicating that they are responsible for that location.

My vote for a column head: "Designated AM Area"
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/y7f2gsiomkpxbe6/CA_SM_Rocket_Shear_Alpha_50.png?dl=0
ARC for SW Region, USA
Global Champ, US Local Champ
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!

Post by voludu2
What would you think about putting an edit link in each section, to make it easier for state managers to update their state pages. Several area a little worried that the new format makes it more difficult for them to put the information they want on the page, what with flipping to the Talk page to get the editing done.

An (edit) link would look familiar to anyone who has worked on their state's wiki page at all.
It MIGHT run the risk of making things easier for less-informed waze map editors -- similar to the situation with the old-style wiki pages, but not much worse than that.

I know this is doable, though it would take some fiddling to get it just right. The result could possibly look something like this page:
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/User:Voludu2/sandbox
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I agree.
Some states now do have rank-2 AMs.
AM areas are the only way to give editors access to areas with poor cell coverage.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Different groups of people have different personalities and might prefer one platform over another. If you think it is beneficial to editors in your state, why not list that in your state wiki? As different groups explore the pros and cons, and even try out new platforms that might come along in the future, we can all learn from each other.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I agree. If it was granted for a long time, not merely for the duration of the mapraid or a special project, then it qualifies -- they have been given that area to manage in some way. Anyone who suspects they "accidentally" still have mapraid area long after the mapraid is over should check with their RC.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
A small but distinctive inline emoji-sized icon sounds like a good idea. More obvious than an asterisk/footnote. And it won't require any changes to the state templates.

This could be standardized by using a template to create the inline reference and the footnote.
voludu2
Send a message