New Waze Editors welcome pack

Post by YanisKyr
Hi guys, let's create a "welcome pack" for new Waze Editors with links to resources, FAQs, and anything else that is important to get started! The final product will be a new pinned post/announcement.
YanisKyr
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1

POSTER_ID:4729966

Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... r-N-N5.gif
Coordinator & Booster for Cyprus | CM for Ireland | GC for the entire world

Post by davidg666
YanisKyr wrote:Hi guys, let's create a "welcome pack" for new Waze Editors with links to resources, FAQs, and anything else that is important to get started! The final product will be a new pinned post/announcement.
Just to get the ball rolling:
++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
YanisKyr wrote:Something along this lines as an opener: [...]
Looks good - I'd just make a couple of changes:
  1. Only capitalise the first word of sentences and proper nouns, so write "our map quality is at a very high level", not "our Map Quality is at a very high level"
  2. Is it really at a very high level? It is very good in many places (Dublin and Cork, for example), good in most other cities and large towns, but we still have lots of unmapped countryside and unnamed roads. Motorways and N-roads look just-about perfect, and R-roads are about 95% perfect (occasionally I find one mismapped or unmapped).
  3. I think leave in the link to the Ireland section of the forum, because the welcome pack is something we might send directly to new editors, so if they're reading the welcome pack they might not even know about the forum or realise how to get there.
++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
YanisKyr wrote:Fair points, I made some adjustments - what are your thoughts? :ugeek:
Looking pretty good overall.

I'd change the opener to "Hello fellow volunteer editor!" because neither "volunteer" nor "editor" are proper nouns (the names of something).

One other change: only parts of Wicklow, Kildare (and maybe Meath) have a very high map quality level. Those parts closer to Dublin are good, but the further away from Dublin you go, the more the map quality dips. South Kildare and south Wicklow, for example, are reasonably, but not very high quality (for example: most (but not all) roads are mapped, but road naming is patchy). Maybe just say "very high level in and around Dublin, including much of Wicklow, Kildare and Meath".

Now, that said, most of this welcome pack is pretty good: I'm mostly just picking at straws here :)

Finally, once we've settled on the welcome pack, we could make a new post containing the welcome pack and make it sticky so that it appears at the top of the Ireland forum.

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
YanisKyr wrote:I think we're ready to go - give it another eye and I can then post it in a new thread.
Looks good to me.

Just one detail: the link to WME maybe should be the one in UK English (https://www.waze.com/en-GB/editor), although I'm not sure about that because many of my WME scripts don't seem to work directly with it.

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
YanisKyr wrote:
davidg666 wrote: Just one detail: the link to WME maybe should be the one in UK English (https://www.waze.com/en-GB/editor), although I'm not sure about that because many of my WME scripts don't seem to work directly with it.
Good catch - but what's the difference? That link still redirects me to https://waze.com/editor/
It takes me to the UK English WME page, however it seems to default to whatever language was last selected, whatever link is used - so if we just include the basic WME link (https://www.waze.com/editor/), then it should take users to whatever is appropriate for their preferred language - so leave it as-is.
YanisKyr wrote:I found 2 more very useful links in the UK wiki here - shall I throw them in before the WME link?
https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/United ... uick_Start
https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/Global/Waze_Map_Editor
Definitely include the global WME link. As for the UK quick start page: I think add that after all the Ireland Wazeopedia links, with a note that we use UK practices for everything not covered by the Ireland Wazeopedia page, and then global practices after that - in other words, we want to tell editors to check the Ireland pages first, then the UK ones for everything not covered by the Ireland pages, and then global practices for everything after that.

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
YanisKyr wrote:So, here's the final product! viewtopic.php?f=119&t=282716

Can we delete/archive this post and make the new one an announcement?
I've made your final product post an announcement, so it'll always appear at the top. I've also locked it, so people don't reply to it and confuse the whole thing.
YanisKyr wrote:Also, shall we demote these 3 since the info in the new welcome pack includes links about the topics? What do you think?
Hangout for editors in Ireland
How to contact the Ireland management team
How to apply for area manager areas
Not sure about demoting these ones: I think they're still useful information, and so long as we don't have too many announcement or sticky posts, they're not causing any harm.

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
YanisKyr wrote:
davidg666 wrote: I've made your final product post an announcement, so it'll always appear at the top. I've also locked it, so people don't reply to it and confuse the whole thing.
I think we can leave it unlocked, I see no harm for a newbie to reply there.
Done.
YanisKyr wrote:Can we delete or archive the present thread?
I think there's no need to do that: It'll fade into the background (like all other threads) as newer threads show up.

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by YanisKyr
Something along this lines as an opener:
Hello fellow Volunteer Editor!

We prepared this welcome post for users that have little or no experience editing Waze Maps, aiming to kick-start their editing adventures by providing information, links, and answers to key questions.

The Irish Waze community is rather small compared to other countries around the globe, however with the help of some dedicated editors over the years, our Map Quality is at a very high level. There will always be changes, new roads, updated junctions, etc. so local knowledge is very important. On top of that, Waze when launches new features, more editing is required to update our map. So the more hands we have on the map editor the better!

I'll take a break here, have a look at the list below and feel free to hit reply, make a new post, or send a PM for any guidance or questions you might have :)
And I'm adjusting/adding to your list: And closing with something like:
Ireland Country Management team - WazeIECMs@gmail.com
YanisKyr
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by YanisKyr
Fair points, I made some adjustments - what are your thoughts? :ugeek:

Opener:
Hello fellow Volunteer Editor!

We prepared this welcome post for users that have little or no experience editing Waze Maps, aiming to kick-start their editing adventures by providing information, links, and answers to key questions.

The Waze community in Ireland is relatively small compared to other countries around the globe, however with the help of some dedicated editors over the years, our map quality is at a very high level around Dublin (incl. Wicklow, Kildare, Meath) and the main highway network. Large cities are also up to date, but without local editors some elements might be challenging. There are plenty of areas mainly in the countryside with unnamed, missing, or mis-mapped roads that need work. Of course, there will always be changes, new roads, updated junctions, etc. so local knowledge is very important. On top of all that, when Waze launches new features, more editing is required to update our map. So the more hands we have on the map editor the better!

I'll pause here; have a look at the list below and feel free to hit reply for any guidance or questions you might have :)
Adjusting the list further: And closing with something like:
Ireland Country Management team - WazeIECMs@gmail.com
YanisKyr
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message