Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.
Post by Daknife
Living in the land of mountains where one valley can experience blizzard like conditions while the next one over is enjoying the sun, Snow must be on the list but making it a Snow/Ice report would be more comprehensive.

To be honest I wouldn't change the current selection of weather conditions. Any more and we're going to have to start scrolling through the options and that isn't something you want people dealing with adverse weather to be doing. Yes rain gets reported when it really isn't necessary but in some areas reports of rain are important. Similar with Fog, Snow, and Hail, one more I would add if we have any say as it can really affect commuters (at least in my area) is strong winds.(which can cover cross winds, tornadoes and the like) In my area I don't need the hail reports but can certainly understand how critical it can be in other areas of the country.
p.s. par129 correct me if I'm wrong but in your list you have Tornado and Twister, are those not the same thing?
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
As to the original complaint. Last Friday I had the opportunity to make a Rain report. It was a partly cloudy day, I came around a mountain point and into a down pour resulting in a rapid drop in traffic speeds from near 80 to around 65. I couldn't see that it was raining until I was into the rain. Reporting Rain has a very legitimate use. Maybe not in the Pacific Northwest, but in other areas it most certainly does.

p.s. I like the High cross winds option. With the mountains, Twisters are very rare, Hurricanes don't happen here and just mean we get badly needed rain when one floats around near the gulf of California. But we do have a phenomena call east winds where we get a high pressure to the east and a low pressure to the west and Hurricane speed winds come rushing down the canyons into the valley. These are a mostly spring time occurrence but will often result in multiple Big-rigs getting blown over as they try to traverse I-15 north or southward. So a very good thing to report when they are going on.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by foxfoxfoxfoxfox
par129 wrote:Appears “Weather” is one of those emotional topics (got to love it). My list was just a conversional starter. Daknife – yes, these are the same and are better covered by “High Cross-Wind”. So here is my updated all inclusive prioritize list. What did I miss?
  • Dense Fog
    High Cross-Wind
    Downpour, Rain
    Road Flooded
    Snow/Hail
    Black Ice
This would be an amazing set of Weather options.
foxfoxfoxfoxfox
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I have never experienced a problem with weather reports and I can see their usefulness. The devs should spend time on needed features unless the need screen or app space.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
pihentagy wrote:I also would like to report cross-wind. Any progress on that?
I think the current "tornado" and "hurricane" types could be replaced by a more generic "high winds" option.
I agree, but I can just see the local Wazers on their client app see the alert of "High Winds" ahead and suddenly an F-5 tornado is tossing cows and mobile homes toward them. :o
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by mapcat
If reports are reserved for heavy rain that causes traffic to slow and cars to pull over, then it's worth having the option. Is it really abused that often? I see far more unhelpful "car on shoulder" reports.
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by par129
I like weather reports and believe there should be more, like:
  • Flood
    Black Ice
    Downpour
    Tornado
    Twister
    Windstorm
    Excessively Hot

Can you think of any others?
par129
Send a message

Post by par129
Appears “Weather” is one of those emotional topics (got to love it). My list was just a conversional starter. Daknife – yes, these are the same and are better covered by “High Cross-Wind”. So here is my updated all inclusive prioritize list. What did I miss?
  • Dense Fog
    High Cross-Wind
    Downpour, Rain
    Road Flooded
    Snow/Hail
    Black Ice
par129
Send a message

Post by par129
So what does everybody think?
par129
Send a message

Post by pihentagy
I also would like to report cross-wind. Any progress on that?
pihentagy
Send a message