[Script] WME US Government Boundaries

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, Glodenox, JustinS83

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] WME US Government Boundaries

Postby MapOMatic » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:02 am

dfortney wrote:Here's another address giving an incorrect result: 25501 Chapin Rd, Los Altos Hills, CA
The script is using Los Altos instead of Los Altos Hills.

That one is at least returning the "recommended" city for 94022. I believe that's a good example where local editor knowledge would have to prevail (unfortunately).
[ img ] [ img ]

AM Central KY | CM USA
MapOMatic
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby MapOMatic » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:48 pm

Understood. I just meant that if you go to the search for city by ZIP code lookup, the recommended city is Los Altos (but Los Altos Hills is also recognized). I can't explain why it's returning West Menlo Park as the recommended city.

I think this is good evidence that we shouldn't blindly trust this tool. Still need to do some research when things don't seem to make sense.
[ img ] [ img ]

AM Central KY | CM USA
MapOMatic
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby MapOMatic » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:32 pm

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear. I was referring to the search results from this page:
https://tools.usps.com/zip-code-lookup. ... ybyzipcode
2019-01-02_15h20_28.png
(12.97 KiB) Downloaded 326 times

People seem to be finding cases of inconsistent data fairly regularly, unfortunately. I was really hoping this would be more reliable and allow us to update city names with some confidence. But it's looking more and more like it should be treated with a healthy dose of skepticism. I've been finding it very helpful in (most) rural areas of KY I've been looking at, but I've also found a couple head-scratching scenarios. I guess, as seems to be the case with most large collections of data like this, YMMV.
[ img ] [ img ]

AM Central KY | CM USA
MapOMatic
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby MapOMatic » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:29 am

Release 2019.07.04.001

Clicking the Zip Code in the WME map header will now give you instant details about the cities that the USPS officially recognizes for that ZIP Code. You can click the link in the popup to go to the USPS site.
2019-07-04_02h27_59.png
(183.08 KiB) Downloaded 397 times
[ img ] [ img ]

AM Central KY | CM USA
MapOMatic
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby MapOMatic » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:24 pm

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure there's a "right" answer that applies to every situation. I think it could be used to help determine if one or more alt cities could be applied, but don't just blindly assume it's correct and fits with region/state guidelines. I'd use it as one piece of evidence in a wider investigation :) I know... clear as mud.
[ img ] [ img ]

AM Central KY | CM USA
MapOMatic
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby mdswbkq » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:00 am

One minor issue: Using the "Get USPS Routes" button appears to retrieve routes named for the Post Office, rather than the Geographic Name associated with the ZIP code. This may be specific to my area, or it may be more general.

To use my area as an example, I get some routes marked green for "WESTLAKE, MD 20817" and others for "BETHESDA, MD 20816". https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lon=-77.12102&lat=38.97616&zoom=3 But "Westlake" is just the name of one of several post office stations (and ZIP codes) for Bethesda, MD. If you do a lookup on USPS.COM of an address on the "WESTLAKE" USPS Route, it will give you Bethesda, MD as the destination "city." And the USPS site gives BETHESDA as the recommended city name for the 20817 ZIP code, although it also accepts WESTLAKE. I'd suggest going with the primary, recommended city name if possible.

As I say, I don't know if this is area-specific or more general. But it appears from my example that there is not necessarily a direct correspondence between the "USPS Route" and the geographic name of the ZIP code.
AM: Central Maryland
mdswbkq
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3

Postby mdswbkq » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:10 pm

Thanks, Russ!
AM: Central Maryland
mdswbkq
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3

Postby RoadWarriorTech850 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:44 am

bart99gt wrote:Not sure what is going on on my end then. I've disabled every script and add-on in Chrome, including those having nothing to do with WME, and it still isn't working properly.

Try going into your Tampermonkey dashboard and move the "sort" icon for it to the top or near the top. If that fails, remove the script and re-install the script.
Area: West Florida and Southern Alabama
[ img ]
RoadWarriorTech850

Postby russblau » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:17 am

If you read the script’s description at https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/25631-wme-us-government-boundaries, you’ll see that it does not display true ZIP boundaries, but rather census block areas. However I’m sure you know better than to copy anything from an unofficial source into the Waze map.

[EDIT] Plus, looking at that private site, I notice that it shows a lot of ZIP code boundaries running down the middle of roads. That is very unlikely to be correct since, in most cases, the same postal route serves addresses on both sides of the street.

In one county I edit a lot (Sussex Co. Delaware), the county GIS system has a ZIP code layer. Unlike either the script or the private website, their ZIP code layer shows the boundaries running between streets and in many cases coming to a point at an intersection where the delivery route ends.

Unless you have a resource like this, the only 100% reliable way I know to identify the ZIP code for a given point is to type the address into https://tools.usps.com/zip-code-lookup.htm?byaddress and see if it returns a valid 9-digit ZIP. (Sometimes if you put the wrong city in, it will return a 5-digit ZIP and it looks like a valid address, but it's not.)
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
MAR MSM; State Manager: District of Columbia
russblau
State Manager
State Manager

Postby russblau » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:14 pm

Actually, I stand corrected. Apparently official maps of ZIP code service areas (although with a copyright notice) can be found at https://eddm.usps.com/eddm/customer/routeSearch.action.
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
MAR MSM; State Manager: District of Columbia
russblau
State Manager
State Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts