Coordinator: orbitc & ARC: PhantomSoul | RussPA
------------------------------------------------------------
Post by NJMedic2535
I've got no objection to a regional locking standard for places. Places are a major feature of Waze now, and I don't think national place guidance has kept up.

My only concern is: have we solidified and published the UR handling practice for NOR? (I'd rather burn one bridge at a time.)
NJMedic2535
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by NJMedic2535
mrsmith66 wrote:Greg - do you have comments on the lock standards for military? As I understand it we are using National guidance for that.
While there's a tremendous amount of information regarding places on military bases here: https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Mi ... ses#Places there's not a single thing about lock standard. I elected to lock all places on NJ bases to L3 as all bases were in my EA at the time (still are) and it seemed a reasonable level. As an R3 I'd needed to pester people about PURs on Rest Areas and Gas Stations and figuring most on-base PURs were going to be photo rejections I tried to keep it open to more editors.
In NJ we lock major airports (EWR, Teterboro, Trenton, ACY) at L5 but the minor airports are at L4. Otherwise NJ matches the proposed standard.
Why don't we just lock all airports to L5? There's some nuances about them. And what defines minor vs major? Is Ocean County Airport a major minor while Flying W is a minor minor? 8-)
NJMedic2535
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by orbitc
Let's change DE Gas Station locks to 4. As always, they should be locked only after they are fully mapped. They do not need to be edited often once they are done correctly the first time.

As far as the train stations we can either lower NY to 2 or bring other states to 3. What was the reason for us to change NY to 3?
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by PleaseDriveFast
voludu2 wrote:I think that a tabulated summary of the per-state place lock standards in NOR states can be very useful for any editor looking for that kind of quick reference. That can include editors who primarily edit in more than one NOR state as well as editors from other regions with new driving area in any of our states.
Let's take this idea further and see where we can apply this to a stage page to quickly distinguish where a state follows National, Regional or State guidelines. To me that is valuable – instead of seeing a state page be a "primary resource" only finding out it's going to kick a user our to a National or Region page.
PleaseDriveFast
Send a message

Post by sikemever
Withstanding some unknown reason they should be different the benefit of standardized levels is significant. I support an NOR standard.
sikemever
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by sikemever
Train stations change less than gas stations, no? I think 3 is logical given our logic for gas stations.
sikemever
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I think that a tabulated summary of the per-state place lock standards in NOR states can be very useful for any editor looking for that kind of quick reference. That can include editors who primarily edit in more than one NOR state as well as editors from other regions with new driving area in any of our states.

Of course, the states' own wazeopedia pages can continue to display their own place lock standards. And editors will still need to use these pages to keep track of all the other types of per-state guidance as well.

As long as this is done in a way that makes it easy to keep the information up-to-date on the common NOR page, I think this will be a benefit. Because place category lock standards change infrequently, it's easy to forget that the information needs to be changed in more than one location.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Don't forget https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Ne ... Standard_2
Police stations, fire stations, parks, etc.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
That's a nice summary of variations in locking guidance across NOR.
Maybe you can put train station after "any" to order them by lock level.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by YourEvilTwinFTW
I'm in support as much regional standardization as possible, except where otherwise warranted. This makes it easier for editors to help out in other states throughout the region and will help reduce the size of the state wazo pages.

What exactly are the differences between the NOR states' locking standards? As far as segment locks, it looks like all states share the exact same standards, with the exception of NYC's higher lock levels.

For place locks, what exactly are we looking at for differences? See below for a table of the standards, based on state wazo pages.

Currently the big differences are for Gas Stations and Airports. I think it makes sense for the region to discuss why Gas Stations are locked so high, and if it's truly necessary. Maybe L3 is better. Or maybe there's a justified reason for GS to be L4 -- and if so, is there a warranted reason why DE would not need the same level of protection on their GS?

And then the same discussion for Airports -- should the entire region adopt L4 for airports, or is there a reason why the R4 group would need to have an R5 approve changes to Airports? And is there a reason why airports in NY & PA would need more protection than the airports in DE & NJ?

As for the bottom two rows in the table below, these are locking standards that only one or two states have added to their wazo page, and the other states have no specific guidance. But the same questions apply: Are these elevated locks useful? If not, maybe these states should remove the locking standard to match. And if so, maybe the standard should be implemented region-wide.

To note again: NYC has different locking standards, and I think this is a case where it's warranted for additional protection from editors.
Place Type DE NJ NY PA
Any completed L2 L2 L2 L2
Fundamental to Waze
(Gas Stations)
L3 L4 L4 L4
Complex, intricate, or crucial
(Hospitals, Police Stations,
Fire Departments, Parks)
L4 L4 L4 L4
Airports L4 L4 L5 L5
College, Courthouse, Government,
Jail, Military, PLA