[Page update] Places - Multiple entry points

Post by Inactive user -1697532064-
In preparation for multiple entry points, I added the following message to the area stop point section of the current places page as a mbox:
Current MEP message wrote:{{As of|May 2019}} multiple entry points can be added to area places. However, they are not used in the production app. Production users are routed only to the originally created entry point.
I have started a draft revision that includes a section on multiple entry points. I also included some reorganization and consistency of capitalization (still working on that); it is not consistent in the current page. I have tried to just start describing how multiple entry points work along with their current limitations in the beta environment. Since this is in production WME, it is not secret, and we can publish details and guidance. I have not included guidance on how to use, and I think it would be nice to start discussing this, including, at least:
  • Where to place points (doors? access roads? some standard for choosing among these?
  • How to name points
  • Where to put the main point
Here's the draft section in the page

Even after MEP goes into use for production app users, it's still in phase 1, so it won't work for stop routes, alternate routes or planned drives. Therefore, the old non-MEP behavior must continue to be supported for the first created point, and where we put that point won't change. That means that once we agree on guidance for this, we can move it to the US wiki even if MEP still isn't in the prod app. We can remove the mbox after that switch is flipped.
Inactive user -1697532064-
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

POSTER_ID:17169121

Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32

I like sketch's guidance. We definitely need to distinguish between places with multiple doors or gates for pedestrian access and places with multiple vehicular entrances, where you drive in and consider yourself to be "there" without having to continue to drive up to a specific building or area, and we need to err on the side of mapping pedestrian entrances, just like we do now with single entry points.

And I absolutely agree that anchor stores in malls shouldn't get mall entry points. One small thing: As I mentioned in the mbox, production app users are taken to the first point created. The main flag will move any point to the top of the list in WME, but since it is not used for production users, the second point on the list, if it was the first one to be created, will still be used for routing.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

Single rest areas accessible from both sides of a highway are an excellent use case for this, as well. When in production, MEP should replace duplicate places and walking trail hacks used for these, similar to transit stations.

I will add sketch's stuff to my wiki draft; all are welcome to help.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

Alright, pretty sure I wikified what sketch posted above. As for the use of "Entrance" in entry point names, I just said it can be used where it makes sense and is not redundant. Phase 1, which is what our guidance is for now (unless phase 2 is coming like really soon rather than Waze soon), does not say "entries" or "entrances" when displaying entry point names, so I would figure that the word "Entrance" is not redundant unless there is a more descriptive word to use like "Door" or "Gate." Also, I added that title case should be used for entry point names, because it looks better and fits with how we name places themselves.

Apart from making guidance for multiple entry points, I noticed that the places page is getting super long and disorganized. In addition to moving sections around (with anchors), I made several things collapsible in this draft, especially the tables for PNH, category guidance and closed place procedures. Please take a look at the whole draft, starting with the multiple entry point section. We could probably use some more examples, maybe in list form, and definitely some pictures.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

sketch wrote:
Kartografer wrote:Alright, pretty sure I wikified what sketch posted above. As for the use of "Entrance" in entry point names, I just said it can be used where it makes sense and is not redundant. Phase 1, which is what our guidance is for now (unless phase 2 is coming like really soon rather than Waze soon), does not say "entries" or "entrances" when displaying entry point names, so I would figure that the word "Entrance" is not redundant unless there is a more descriptive word to use like "Door" or "Gate." Also, I added that title case should be used for entry point names, because it looks better and fits with how we name places themselves.
I don't think this is right. Phase 1 doesn't display the name anywhere in the app afaik, and the WME experience should not have any bearing on this decision. Since writing this originally I have come to believe the word "entrance" will be redundant. We shouldn't create double work for ourselves.
The name is displayed on the ETA card, as Ruben indicated under phase 1 in his first post in WME β. But I also dislike double work... We can discourage "Entrance."
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

Yeah I'm pretty sure the Main box doesn't do anything in the app. I have changed the draft to reflect that. So where are we at on this guidance? Is it good? I added some images with examples in them.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

That's fine. This information was provided by Ruben in the release notes, but I have seen the same thing, where alternate routes, at least in RBS, get a different entry point sometimes. How does it look now?
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

OK, I've not seen it that way, but I'm sure you're right. This part is especially unstable (even between routing servers it seems) so I made the change you suggested.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

The revision has been moved to the main space.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

Post by HBiede
With regards to naming, my opinion is entrance should be included in the entry point name where appropriate. I think having “East entrance” under a list of entries makes more sense than simply “East” by itself.

Great write up with good detail. Thanks, sketch!
HBiede
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message