Wazeopedia USA Main Page Region Change to Alphabetical Order

Post by
Per the Wazeopedia USA Discord channel, a discussion came up for changing the order of the current numbering format (geographical) to alphabetical. This thread is to keep track of this discussion and reach a consensus for this change. The Main Page in question can be found here: https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Main_Page. Also to be updated would be the Region numbering in the Regional Coordinator page found here https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Re ... oordinator

POSTER_ID:17497112

Send a message

Post by Inactive user -1697532064-
Just to add: This would make the region lists on these two pages match with the side bar of the US Wazeopedia, as well as the region list on the Places page and might make it easier for newer folks to find their way. If there is consensus to support this change, I can replace the current numbered map with a map that shows each region's abbreviation (GLR, SCR, etc) instead of the number with each region's polygon being a clickable link to the region page.

The region list on the main page comes from the NavBox template, which is displayed in collapsed form at the bottom of every state page, so to reorder the regions on the main page would make them reordered at the bottom of all state pages as well.
Inactive user -1697532064-
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32

I made two drafts: Regional Coordinator and USA Navbox (shows on Main Page and state and regional pages. The Regional Coordinator draft contains an image map, so clicking each region takes people to the wiki. The table has redundant abbreviations, because that's how the RC/TableRow template was set up. I can change that after moving to main space, so as not to disturb how the current RC page looks.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

Thanks. Yes, the RC template suite is used on the RC page, but it does not use those region numbers. It uses different regional and state IDs to display the RCs for each region and whatnot; this would not be changed. I will make one small change, however, to RC/Region to remove the parentheses from the table display, so that the table doesn't show the region abbreviation in two places on each row
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Last edited by Inactive user -1697532064- on Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

It's hard to pick 11 contrasting colors... I'll see what I can do
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

tonestertm wrote: I understand that the TLAs are placed at, essentially, the centroid of the given region. The NWR location was the first thing that threw me, but I understand why it's where it is.

I'd like to suggest, for readability, that "GLR" be scooted down just a bit, so that it sits entirely over color, rather than having coastline underneath.

I'd like to suggest that "SER" be scooted up just a bit, for aesthetics.

In both cases, I think it's pretty clear that the " land extensions" belong to the given region.

Not much we can do about NER, I'm afraid, but the coastline there does interfere with readability, as well.

The above are assuming that this won't play some sort of havoc with the image map - I didn't look to see how this image was constructed.

The directly adjacent colors for SWR and SCR are quite similar, no?

Even more minor ticky-tack: the colors for SER and MAR could maybe be lightened a little, to provide better contrast with the letters? These colors are significantly more saturated than the original ones.
ldriveskier wrote: I would suggest switching SCR with SER to put the blue between the two "orange"s. Also, maybe switch GLR with NOR or NER, since NOR/NER are similar colors.
This image was built using MapChart. I rebuilt some of it with some color switches and lightenings, and I moved the abbreviations to places that look a little better and more legible, even if they are not at the centers of the colored areas. I guess the SER color became the NER color. It was hard to figure out anything different while keeping 11 unique colors. Yeah I know you only need 5, but, at least to me, this shows how each region is its own region... I guess. As long as the pixel dimensions and places of each region remain the same, there is no rework of the link polygons in the image map. How does it look?
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

I know, I can't save it there. Gotta download and work up locally
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

ldriveskier wrote:
Kartografer wrote:OK, muted and split
Better, thanks.

I don't supposed you could define the lines between the states better than that light grey? Maybe a darker grey like the current map?
I would prefer not to. It would make the abbreviations a little harder to read, and IMO it looks better this way (to me the current map is ugly). Besides, it is a lot of work to go back and change something like that, because I would have to rebuild the whole thing again :mrgreen:

Edit: Yeah you're right. I changed the borders. I was able to find a gray that balances the readability of the abbreviations with the ability to see the outlines of the states. The previous version that I uploaded was too light to see states, but if I went too dark, it would have made the abbreviations look like CAPTCHAs :)
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Last edited by Inactive user -1697532064- on Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

tonestertm wrote: Then, of course, I want to go to matching the regions' colors on the grid below, at least in the first column, but that gets wacky, and results in some pretty bright coloring under text....

Finally, I wonder if the landing pages for each region should include the TLAs....
Including the region abbreviation in the landing page could be difficult, since the page titles are used all over the place by the RC template and the CommonState template. I think we need to keep them as they are. I also can't change the background colors of the table without digging pretty far into RC/TableRow.

So does this look useful enough as it is?
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

I implemented Lisa's last suggestion about the state borders, so since all comments were addressed, I have moved these drafts to the main and template spaces and altered RC/Region to comment out the redundant parentheses in the table.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio