Wazeopedia USA Main Page Region Change to Alphabetical Order  Topic is solved

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

Wazeopedia USA Main Page Region Change to Alphabetical Order

Postby jcipc2004 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:30 pm

Per the Wazeopedia USA Discord channel, a discussion came up for changing the order of the current numbering format (geographical) to alphabetical. This thread is to keep track of this discussion and reach a consensus for this change. The Main Page in question can be found here: https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Main_Page. Also to be updated would be the Region numbering in the Regional Coordinator page found here https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Regional_Coordinator
jcipc2004 (a.k.a Jacob)
GLR Editor and Area Manager (Kalamazoo / Livonia / Grand Rapids)
[ img ][ img ]
jcipc2004

Re: Wazeopedia USA Main Page Region Change to Alphabetical O

Postby Kartografer » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:49 pm

Just to add: This would make the region lists on these two pages match with the side bar of the US Wazeopedia, as well as the region list on the Places page and might make it easier for newer folks to find their way. If there is consensus to support this change, I can replace the current numbered map with a map that shows each region's abbreviation (GLR, SCR, etc) instead of the number with each region's polygon being a clickable link to the region page.

The region list on the main page comes from the NavBox template, which is displayed in collapsed form at the bottom of every state page, so to reorder the regions on the main page would make them reordered at the bottom of all state pages as well.
[ img ]
Galaxy S9 running Pie on Mint
SM Ohio, AM New Mexico, South Dakota
Wazeopedia projects
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32
Kartografer
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby Kartografer » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:12 pm

I made two drafts: Regional Coordinator and USA Navbox (shows on Main Page and state and regional pages. The Regional Coordinator draft contains an image map, so clicking each region takes people to the wiki. The table has redundant abbreviations, because that's how the RC/TableRow template was set up. I can change that after moving to main space, so as not to disturb how the current RC page looks.
[ img ]
Wazeopedia projects
Kartografer
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby voludu2 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:21 pm

As long as our RCs are OK with this, I think it makes sense to use the abbreviations in the map instead of numbers nobody uses. And then to make everything easier to find.

[ img ]
USA Northeast Region Discord Chat
State Manager - Pennsylvania
Country Manager - USA and Thailand
Wiki Master, Global Mentor
utilitas, simplicitas, retentionis
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby jm6087 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:09 pm

IMO, as long as it is uniform, I am good with it
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby jemay » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:25 pm

I am ok with it, just need to make sure everything in the back-end is lined up also. (I thought there is stuff under the covers that might need to be adjusted also (I don't code wiki, so I am not sure))
:arrow: PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Samsung Galaxy S8+ - Android 8.0 - Verizon
jemay
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Kartografer » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:30 pm

Thanks. Yes, the RC template suite is used on the RC page, but it does not use those region numbers. It uses different regional and state IDs to display the RCs for each region and whatnot; this would not be changed. I will make one small change, however, to RC/Region to remove the parentheses from the table display, so that the table doesn't show the region abbreviation in two places on each row
Last edited by Kartografer on Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[ img ]
Wazeopedia projects
Kartografer
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby FzNk » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:32 pm

I think it's a sensible update for the sake of making the list more intuitive. No objections.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
NWR Assistant Regional Coordinator :: Oregon State Manager
Waze Beta Leader (Android) :: WME Beta
FzNk
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby tonestertm » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:36 pm

In general, I'm good with it. Of course, it's hard for me to read that ancient text and not want to do some wordsmithing.

Suggestions on the map (thank you for the rework!):

I understand that the TLAs are placed at, essentially, the centroid of the given region. The NWR location was the first thing that threw me, but I understand why it's where it is.

I'd like to suggest, for readability, that "GLR" be scooted down just a bit, so that it sits entirely over color, rather than having coastline underneath.

I'd like to suggest that "SER" be scooted up just a bit, for aesthetics.

In both cases, I think it's pretty clear that the " land extensions" belong to the given region.

Not much we can do about NER, I'm afraid, but the coastline there does interfere with readability, as well.

The above are assuming that this won't play some sort of havoc with the image map - I didn't look to see how this image was constructed.

The directly adjacent colors for SWR and SCR are quite similar, no?

Even more minor ticky-tack: the colors for SER and MAR could maybe be lightened a little, to provide better contrast with the letters? These colors are significantly more saturated than the original ones.

Then, of course, I want to go to matching the regions' colors on the grid below, at least in the first column, but that gets wacky, and results in some pretty bright coloring under text....

Finally, I wonder if the landing pages for each region should include the TLAs....
[ img ]
ARC for SW Region, USA
US Local Champ, US Country Manager
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby jm6087 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:27 pm

tonestertm wrote:The directly adjacent colors for SWR and SCR are quite similar, no?

I agree, I would suggest switching the colors between one of the two with either NER or MAR, so the colors are more obviously different.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Next

Return to US Wiki Discussion