1. Include the city and state in the "Subject:" line of your post
2. Include a Permalink to the segment(s) you wish to unlock or have updated
3. Provide a short explanation of why you need the unlock or update done.
4. Thank the user who solved the request and mark the thread Solved.

Please note that a higher level editor may choose to fix an unlock request themselves so higher value segments will remain protected at their level.

Forum rules
1. Include the city and FULL state name in the "Subject:" line of your post
2. Include a Permalink to the segment(s) you wish to unlock or have updated
3. Provide a short explanation of why you need the unlock or update done.
4. When completed, THANK the user who solved the request and mark the thread SOLVED.

Level 5 Update: Massachusetts - Boston (Charlestown)

Post by dpwgt
Please make the following corrections:
  1. Segments 22968627, 65924238, 65924239, 500046957, 502365995, 73979659, 65921176
    • Road type: Ramp
    • Address: "to Austin St, Boston, Massachusetts"
  2. Segments 66179463, 66179465, 66179464, 65924240
    • Address: "to New Rutherford Ave, Boston, Massachusetts"
  3. Segments 66134036, 66134037, 22942166
    • Address: "to Rutherford Ave, Boston, Massachusetts"
  4. Segments 22958604, 66179473, 22960684
    • Address: "Rutherford Ave, Boston, Massachusetts"
Most segments above are locked, some as high as level 5. I've made many contributions to other mapping sites, but not any to Waze.

I've been in contact with the Boston Public Improvement Commission and the Public Works Department's Records Division for the past few months — not only to confirm the information above, but to have a dozen street signs replaced that were incorrect (this was done in March).

Regarding (4), many residents would likely be surprised to find out that this road has never been named "Old Rutherford Ave" — but in fact it has continuously been named "Rutherford Ave" since at least 1899. Before 1969, it continued straight past Union St and connected to the part of Rutherford Ave that now runs along Route 99. When the road was split and re-routed, both parts kept the original name; the new extension to City Square became "New Rutherford Ave". This is why the street name changes along Route 99.

(1), (2), and (3) are simply Route 99 entrance/exit ramps. The street name for Route 99 is "Rutherford Ave" on the northern end of the ramps, and "New Rutherford Ave" on the southern end, as described above.

The street names and boundaries can be confirmed in the official Street Book maintained by the Public Works Department, as well as the historical Street Layout Plans. Also see Assessing Department parcel records. Let me know if you would like other references.

Thanks for help in making a super confusing area somewhat less confusing to navigate!
dpwgt

POSTER_ID:17872161

Send a message

Post by dpwgt
Thanks for your response, and for making the corrections in (4). That is a big help.

I agree that none of these segments are a ramp based on their functional classification, and I appreciate your explanation. Two of them are already set as a "Ramp" though — this northbound segment should be changed to "Minor Highway", and this southbound segment should be changed to "Major Highway". According to MassDOT, they have the same functional classification as the other segments in their direction (Minor Arterial and Primary Arterial, respectively). Please note, these are the only segments I listed that are locked at level 5, due to their current setting as a ramp.

However, the primary issue now is that the names are still wrong on segments in (1) through (3).

Here are photos taken where Austin Street intersects with them in the northbound and southbound directions. Notice the green corner signs: the name is posted as "New Rutherford Avenue". On Waze, they are named "Rutherford Avenue" instead.

To understand the actual street naming: if we disregard all segments in (4), then New Rutherford Avenue and Rutherford Avenue never run side-by-side. Rutherford Avenue simply becomes New Rutherford Avenue when traveling southbound, after a certain point. Likewise, New Rutherford Avenue simply becomes Rutherford Avenue when traveling northbound (at the same point). This point is located near West School Street (evidenced by the signage changing).

The pictured signs would naturally suggest that Rutherford Avenue / New Rutherford Avenue follow the exit ramps up to Austin Street and back down, and so the underpass does not have any street name other than SR-99. (I have asked the city several times about this detail, but they have not responded either way.)

When considering again that the segments in (4) are also "Rutherford Avenue", the real street layout here is confusing enough to understand on its own. I would like to prevent added confusion due to the real layout not being reflected on Waze, especially now that posted signage finally reflects it.

Thanks again for your help.
dpwgt
Send a message

Post by juliansean
We have received your request. Waze has specific functional classification requirements. We are waiting for local leadership to review your request and see if they meet the requirements of Waze. The naming will be updated once the FC (change to ramp type) has been addressed. Thank you for your patience.

Respectfully,

Sean
juliansean
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message
Sean Julian
CM
SM: TX, LA, MS, AR, OK
AM: SE FL, Boston, MA, Brooklyn, NY, Bronx, NY, Manhattan, NY, Queens, NY, E CA, SW KS

Post by mudge42
We stick pretty closely to Federal Functional Classification for road types, and the segment types are already correct by that criterion. Also see Waze's definition of the "Ramp" road type, in the wiki, and there are standards for ramp naming as well. As such, we won't be changing the segments referenced in 1 - 3.

The segment names in 4 have been updated as requested. Thanks for the info!

mudge42
mudge42
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by mudge42
I have changed "Rutherford Ave" to "New Rutherford Ave" as requested, and in keeping with the MassDOT road inventory. I've also changed the two ramp segments to MH and mH respectively (with a ramp here named to match the BGS further southeast on New Rutherford). I think that should take care of it.

Thanks,
mudge42
mudge42
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message