[Page Update]Places#Area_Places_overlap

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

Re: [Page Update]Places#Area_Places_overlap

Postby Kartografer » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:20 pm

I can get down with the "use discretion" thing here, but I do not see names rendering far away from their true location just because of an overlap, nor do I see more important names being hidden by less important names. At least part of the label is over the area place always, though the position of the label varies with zoom levels. I do see how the text size of names is always the same, independent of the size of the place, but this is no different for places that are side-by-side. The only real negative side effect is that the name of a smaller place may be mistaken as labeling the larger area place around it, like Celeste Center (a specific building in the middle of the Ohio Expo Center) being understood as the name of the entire Ohio Expo Center. You can imagine I'm just panning around my location in Waze :D The "part being mistaken for the whole" effect is reason enough for us to recommend discretion with overlapping area places. Do you have examples of omission or displacement?
[ img ]
Galaxy S9 running Pie on Mint
SM Ohio, AM New Mexico, South Dakota
Wazeopedia projects
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32
Kartografer
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby sketch » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:35 pm

I agree with the 2nd iteration. Provides information without changing any guidance.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:04 pm

Kartografer wrote:The stuff about using point places where same colors overlap has been in there for years. Are we saying that should go away? I would be fine with it; I find the labels useful on overlapped area places. For example, it's nice to see terminal numbers at an airport.

I do believe it should go away. I agree. Further, it's futureproofing, in case Waze ever figures out the map display for it.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

[Page Update]Places#Area_Places_overlap

Postby voludu2 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:29 pm

I'd like to update this section to mention that smaller area places "stack" on top of older area places. This does not change guidance - it merely adds information about the current behavior of the app.

Sometimes a large area place has smaller area places within it. Examples include different medical buildings within a hospital campus or separate malls within a large shopping complex. If both places are the same color, Waze will show all the labels but not the boundaries of the different places. If the places are different colors, then a smaller place will appear to cover any portions of any larger area place where the two overlap. It may be a better approach for the time being to use point places for the components of a larger area place unless it is essential that the subset place names be visible. Future versions of the Waze client may render overlapping area places more usefully. Qualifying point places may be converted to area Places at that time.

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
[ img ]
USA Northeast Region Discord Chat
Country Manager - USA and Thailand
Wiki Master, Global Mentor
utilitas, simplicitas, retentionis
voludu2
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby voludu2 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:10 pm

I think the guidance at the end of the paragraph was really only meant to apply when the contained places are the same color as the larger place. sticking the information about stacking order in the middle creates a change in guidance where none was intended. Instead, how about:
Sometimes a large area place has smaller area places within it. Examples include different medical buildings within a hospital campus or separate malls within a large shopping complex. If both places are the same color, Waze will show all the labels but not the boundaries of the different places - it may be a better approach to use point places for the components of a larger area place unless it is essential that the subset place names be visible. If the places are different colors, then a smaller place will appear to cover any portions of any larger area place where the two overlap - this permits showing a ski resort area in the middle of a national forest, for example.
[ img ]
voludu2
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby voludu2 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:30 pm

It has been suggested that the paragraph gives the impression of offering guidance where none has been formulated by the community. If that is the case, perhaps it can be removed.
Sometimes a large area place has smaller area places within it. Examples include different medical buildings within a hospital campus or campgrounds within a national park. If the places are different colors, then a smaller place will appear to be "on top of" any larger area places where they overlap. If they are the same color, then there will be no way to distinguish the two areas. The primary names of all the area places will be visible.
[ img ]
voludu2
Country Manager
Country Manager

Previous

Return to US Wiki Discussion