[Page Update]Places#Area_Places_overlap

Post by voludu2
I'd like to update this section to mention that smaller area places "stack" on top of older area places. This does not change guidance - it merely adds information about the current behavior of the app.
Sometimes a large area place has smaller area places within it. Examples include different medical buildings within a hospital campus or separate malls within a large shopping complex. If both places are the same color, Waze will show all the labels but not the boundaries of the different places. If the places are different colors, then a smaller place will appear to cover any portions of any larger area place where the two overlap. It may be a better approach for the time being to use point places for the components of a larger area place unless it is essential that the subset place names be visible. Future versions of the Waze client may render overlapping area places more usefully. Qualifying point places may be converted to area Places at that time.
voludu2

POSTER_ID:16966196

Send a message

Post by voludu2
It has been suggested that the paragraph gives the impression of offering guidance where none has been formulated by the community. If that is the case, perhaps it can be removed.
Sometimes a large area place has smaller area places within it. Examples include different medical buildings within a hospital campus or campgrounds within a national park. If the places are different colors, then a smaller place will appear to be "on top of" any larger area places where they overlap. If they are the same color, then there will be no way to distinguish the two areas. The primary names of all the area places will be visible.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I think the guidance at the end of the paragraph was really only meant to apply when the contained places are the same color as the larger place. sticking the information about stacking order in the middle creates a change in guidance where none was intended. Instead, how about:
Sometimes a large area place has smaller area places within it. Examples include different medical buildings within a hospital campus or separate malls within a large shopping complex. If both places are the same color, Waze will show all the labels but not the boundaries of the different places - it may be a better approach to use point places for the components of a larger area place unless it is essential that the subset place names be visible. If the places are different colors, then a smaller place will appear to cover any portions of any larger area place where the two overlap - this permits showing a ski resort area in the middle of a national forest, for example.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by sketch
Kartografer wrote:The stuff about using point places where same colors overlap has been in there for years. Are we saying that should go away? I would be fine with it; I find the labels useful on overlapped area places. For example, it's nice to see terminal numbers at an airport.
I do believe it should go away. I agree. Further, it's futureproofing, in case Waze ever figures out the map display for it.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
I agree with the 2nd iteration. Provides information without changing any guidance.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by DwarfLord
Kartografer wrote:the smaller area places inside it [Ohio State University] look fine to me. You can see where various stadia and other facilities are. It is not confusing in the slightest; it would be really weird not to see the labels for at least some of these places.
I've looked at this and while the intentions are certainly good, I don't think the way this appears to the end user is as useful as we would wish. But I don't think it's dreadful either. I do appreciate that stadiums are popular destinations and valuable orientation cues. I can see value in displaying their names, even if those names do "float" gray-on-gray over the campus Area Place.

The real problem here is really Waze's display limitations. So, here is a suggestion that focuses on those limitations.

In the "Overlapping" section of the USA Wazeopedia Places article:
Proposed text wrote:Overlapping

Sometimes a large Area Place has smaller eligible Area Places within it. Examples include urgent care facilities within a hospital campus or stadiums within a university. If an Area Place is mapped as a subset of another, then provided the categories render with different colors, the smaller area polygon will display within the larger polygon.

In the common case where the Places share the identical display color, however, Waze will show the name of the smaller Area Place but not its boundaries within the larger Area Place. Waze will show both names with the identical typeface and font size; drivers won't have any cues as to relative significance without reading the names. Further, to avoid overlapping text, Waze may omit a name altogether depending from moment to moment on name length, Area-Place size, and screen center, zoom, and orientation.

Because of this display behavior, the end result of overlapping Area Places may involve unintended artifacts. The name of a more important Area Place may be omitted to favor one less important, the display may crowd with many names all appearing equally important, or the names may render far enough from their true location to be less useful for orientation. To minimize such artifacts, exercise discretion when mapping Area Places as subsets of others. Guidance for some Place categories recommends using Point Places for subset locations, even if normally eligible for an Area Place. For other categories, particularly when the subset and encompassing Area Places are of the same category, it is not necessarily wrong to use a Point Place instead of a subset Area Place to optimize the end user's display experience; consult local leadership on the best approach.
I will head for the bunker now :mrgreen:
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message