[Script] WME Place Harmonizer

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, Glodenox, JustinS83

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] WME Place Harmonizer

Postby SeveriorumPatrem » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:35 am

Would like to submit a slight behavior request for RPPs, unless it has already been considered and declined.

When running WMEPH on an RPP, there exists an option to lock RPPs to region default. Can we also have an option to, when running WMEPH on an RPP, automatically create a Stop Point for it if it does not already have one?
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
The Grumpy Dad
The more I learn, the more I discover how much I don't know.
SeveriorumPatrem
State Manager
State Manager

Postby SeveriorumPatrem » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:32 pm

Bump - to check for response on request to add option to add stop point for RPPs. Yay or nay as necessary, just making sure it wasn't missed.
The Grumpy Dad
SeveriorumPatrem
State Manager
State Manager

Postby SeveriorumPatrem » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:50 am

turbomkt wrote:
I think that's going to need a chance in guidance. I won't add a stop point unless it's needed.

Is there a scenario where it can cause a problem when it's not needed?
Last edited by SeveriorumPatrem on Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Grumpy Dad
SeveriorumPatrem
State Manager
State Manager

Postby SeveriorumPatrem » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:51 am

Ok, no worries. But just a minor clarification....the request was to add an option preference to automatically add a stop point, that could be toggled on and off at the editor's discretion the same way they can be optionally added when using PIE to create them.... not a request to force it all the time. PIE does it and didn't need a guidance change to do so. Not a big impact issue, though. Thanks for the consideration.
The Grumpy Dad
SeveriorumPatrem
State Manager
State Manager

Postby SeveriorumPatrem » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:15 pm

turbomkt wrote:
SeveriorumPatrem wrote:Ok, no worries. But just a minor clarification....the request was to add an option preference to automatically add a stop point, that could be toggled on and off at the editor's discretion the same way they can be optionally added when using PIE to create them.... not a request to force it all the time. PIE does it and didn't need a guidance change to do so. Not a big impact issue, though. Thanks for the consideration.

OK...looking at this a little differently...
You want to add a stop point the moment WMEPH is run on an RPP? Or you want WMEPH to add a button to add the stop point?

If the first, that's counter to what a lot of people want happening. Before MoM's hiatus, his efforts included reducing what happens automatically.

If the second...why not just click the existing WME button to add the stop point?

I was asking to have the option to have a stop point automatically added to an RPP when WMEPH is run on it. Similar to how there is an option to have WMEPH automatically lock an RPP to the region standard...it doesn't just unilaterally uplock it (even though there is a strong case that it probably should), it only does it when the editor has enabled that option. I was only wanting the option, not forced behavior.

That said, I also understand and appreciate that adding an unneeded stop point (although I think we all agree it doesn't actually harm anything), does add complexity that may not be desired.

I'm basically withdrawing the request unless decision makers feel it is worthy anyway, but wanted to make it clear I was never intending to ask for something that would force unwanted behavior, either.
The Grumpy Dad
SeveriorumPatrem
State Manager
State Manager

Postby SeveriorumPatrem » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:42 pm

The script error report feature is now opening a PM window with no recipient defined. I assume that is due to MoM taking some time off? Without knowing where else to send said reports.....

-------------------

Script version: 2019.10.30.001
Permalink: https://www.waze.com/en-US/editor?env=u ... 17.6992354
Place name:
--------
Describe the error:

Is it still intended behavior to flag alphanumeric RPPs?
The Grumpy Dad
SeveriorumPatrem
State Manager
State Manager

Postby SeveriorumPatrem » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:35 pm

It's combination of the two conditions that bring the alert. Waze places should of course have a google link, but if one isn't available or wasn't added when it was last edited, this alert is the result of a six month timer to have an editor check it again for validity. Either by finding and adding the google link if one has become available, or "nudging" it to confirm that it is still as correct as possible despite not having a google link. If the latter, it will alert again after another six months.

Sometimes these alerts are inescapable for certain place types that just aren't going to be listed on google, but a gas station should definitely have a google listing available for linking after six months.
The Grumpy Dad
SeveriorumPatrem
State Manager
State Manager

Postby SeveriorumPatrem » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:03 pm

Feature request. As usual, since I'm not a script writer, I don't know if I'm asking for the impossible.

* Add a button to copy the Google Place name into the name field in Waze.

It's quite common to find a place in Waze linked to its GMaps counterpart, but the Waze place name was bungled up by the submitter fumbling on their mobile device, giving only a partial name ("Smith", instead of "Smith Auto Parts"), or using all lower case, or other typos. GMaps nearly always has the correctly-formatted name. Would love to have a one-click way to copy the GMaps name up to the Waze name.

For that matter, if that can be done, would be equally great to have another one-click option to transfer the address up, too.

Another case for this name fix function would be that sometimes a business changes its name, or closes and another reopens at that location, and the GMaps place link remains attached but the Waze name is then totally wrong.

Would need to build it in a way that if multiple GMaps places are linked, to either choose which one, or block the function and require manual intervention.
The Grumpy Dad
SeveriorumPatrem
State Manager
State Manager

Postby SeveriorumPatrem » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:17 pm

(Typical introductory apology if I am asking for something impossible or previously suggested and discarded.....)

Consider a validation check on Places, particularly but not exclusively RPPs, that have an address defined for a street that is not mapped.

It is my understanding that RPPs don't work if there isn't a matching named segment in proximity somewhere. As the map is worked in an area, street names are changed for typos or nonconforming styles (fixing "Avenue" to "Ave" or "Stct" to "St Ct", etc), and sometimes cities are corrected too. Any pre-existing RPPs created from the app with the old name that are not also updated will AFAIK be rendered broken after that. Can WMEPH catch those?
The Grumpy Dad
SeveriorumPatrem
State Manager
State Manager

Re: [Script] WME Place Harmonizer v1.3

Postby sketch » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:39 pm

MapOMatic wrote:Glad it's working for you! I think for your suggestion to work, the name would need to be blank and Post Office set as the category (then click the "Run WMEPH" button). Is that what you're thinking?

I would think it easier to type "Post Office - XXX" then hit the button and have WMEPH set the category than to set the category and have WMEPH type in "Post Office - " especially when you have to type in that box anyway.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts