Changes With Internal Tools and Implications on Transifex

Post by dpanics
Subject: Changes With Internal Tools and Implications on Transifex

Hi Everyone,

Hope you’re all doing well!

We have a few updates with regards to a change that is taking place today with an internal tool that has a few implications on Transifex.

The change is essentially around how we separate between Carpool Driver and Core strings. Up until now, the division was based on language (Carpool languages translated both core and Driver strings) now it is based on type. Core strings will be fully translated in "Waze App Translations - Client strings" (Carpool languages included). Carpool Driver strings will be translated in "Waze Driver - Client Strings - Waze Driver (Only Carpool languages).

The Good:

• Going forward the community will regain more control over core strings even for the 4 (and the additional 8) languages.
  • For the top 4 languages (Spanish ES, Spanish Latam, French and Portuguese BR) we would like to keep 1 coordinator per language, as that person will have the ability to edit strings. Please remember that with great power comes great responsibilities. Please think about this and let us know who the coordinator should be for those languages.
  • We would no longer need 100% of the strings to be translated! With the new process in place, languages should go to production automatically, twice a day.
The Bad:

• For 1000+ strings, the reviewed status will be lost and unfortunately we have no way of getting it back.
  • For some strings (~100 or so), the translation may be lost and unfortunately the localization team was unable to get those translations back.
The Ugly:
https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/Common ... raffic.gif

Thanks,
Dana, on behalf of the communities team
dpanics
Waze Team
Waze Team

POSTER_ID:17548620

Send a message

Post by alexnrocha
Hi Dana,

We have a review group that just work for decades in Brazil.

This group works mainly on review, edit strings and requests these in Transifex or through the forum in CenterCode.
Note. The coordinator is always notified in the internal group that we have. So, could you clarify more questions:

1) In this case, is this review group can have the same access?

2) Are there planned meetings to explain these important changes to the local localizers community? Hangout, webinar...

3) What exactly is role for reviewers group in Transifex?

Thanks and best
alexnrocha
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by alexnrocha
dpanics wrote: Hi alexnrocha,

1. With regards to access, nothing has changed from that regard. The projects and the roles remain the same. We're only asking to limit the coordinator role to one person. Meaning that if you have more than 1 coordinator, please discuss among yourselves to select one person who would be set as coordinator in Transifex.

2. We don't have any webinar planned, as technically speaking, from a translations perspective nothing has changed and things remain the same. The biggest thing is that projects have been separated into 2, Carpool Driver & Waze Core (for the client). You can still sign into Trasifex and find all the strings there for Waze Core.

3. Reviewers group remains the same. The role itself is designed to review translations to confirm they are correct. The coordinator and the reviewer can often consult among themselves regarding complex translation related questions that come up by the community.

I hope this makes sense, please let me know if you have any other questions!

Best regards,
Dana
It helps to improve understanding about this changes.
I just hope that reviewers group doesn't die :oops:
Thanks for clarifying my doubts.
alexnrocha
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by dpanics
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the questions, please find clarifications below:
  • This is relevant to all language packs
  • This is relevant to app related strings (for example Waze App Translations), it is not relevant to other strings like web etc
  • Any translator should have the ability to translate the empty strings, it is not only for coordinators
  • We are currently experiencing an issue with strings that did not go through well and are therefore showing as empty - We have over 1000 empty strings due to this. The team is working on resolving this issue so please don't translate anything for the time being. Once resolved I'll let you know as we would still have about 100 empty strings as a results of this process
Thanks again and best regards!

Dana, on behalf of the communities team
dpanics
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by dpanics
Hi Everyone,

I'd like to quickly update you that the missing translations issue has been resolved and most of the translations are available again.

As mentioned in the original post though, there are a few dozen strings that are missing and need to be translated again.

In case you'd like to translate those strings please go ahead, no issues with translations at this time.

Thanks and best regards,
Dana
dpanics
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by dpanics
alexnrocha wrote:Hi Dana,

We have a review group that just work for decades in Brazil.

This group works mainly on review, edit strings and requests these in Transifex or through the forum in CenterCode.
Note. The coordinator is always notified in the internal group that we have. So, could you clarify more questions:

1) In this case, is this review group can have the same access?

2) Are there planned meetings to explain these important changes to the local localizers community? Hangout, webinar...

3) What exactly is role for reviewers group in Transifex?

Thanks and best
Hi alexnrocha,

1. With regards to access, nothing has changed from that regard. The projects and the roles remain the same. We're only asking to limit the coordinator role to one person. Meaning that if you have more than 1 coordinator, please discuss among yourselves to select one person who would be set as coordinator in Transifex.

2. We don't have any webinar planned, as technically speaking, from a translations perspective nothing has changed and things remain the same. The biggest thing is that projects have been separated into 2, Carpool Driver & Waze Core (for the client). You can still sign into Trasifex and find all the strings there for Waze Core.

3. Reviewers group remains the same. The role itself is designed to review translations to confirm they are correct. The coordinator and the reviewer can often consult among themselves regarding complex translation related questions that come up by the community.

I hope this makes sense, please let me know if you have any other questions!

Best regards,
Dana
dpanics
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by dpanics
Sea_Breeze wrote:Wow, It works great. My compliments! The new update cycle of app translations from Transifex to the app are really fast. A few times a day I guess. How many times a day does it update?
Thank you so much! I'm really glad you like this new change!
The system updates twice a day now :)
dpanics
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by felohidalgo
Reviewed status is not a problem since we really don't marked them that much, but for those translations that will be lost is everyone having access or only the coordinator?
felohidalgo
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Felipe Hidalgo
Coordinador Costa Rica

WIKI COSTA RICA
EDITOR DE MAPAS
PUBLICIDAD EN WAZE

Post by nad21655709044
Waze Map Editor is being translated to 46 languages on Transifex.
nad21655709044
Send a message

Post by Olestas
All language packs will be update twice every day without being 100% translated? Wow..
Olestas
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message