[Script] WME Toolbox (1.8.23)

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, Glodenox, JustinS83

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] WME Toolbox (1.6.2)

Postby Thortok2000 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:09 pm

Replying to subscribe to thread. Also noticing several buttons missing from the toolbar even though the option to have them display is set.

Edit/Update: This got fixed quick!
[ img ]
[ img ][ img ]
Area Manager of Greenville, SC! ^_^
Thortok2000
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Thortok2000 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:54 pm

I agree that simplification obviously has some kind of minimal impact but the impact is so low (and consequences of using the tool incorrectly are so high) that it's easier just to not have the tool.

My only real complaint at this point would be if there was a highlight but no tool to fix the highlight with. I guess it's not visible to a rank 4 AM cause I'm not seeing the option, so I'm happy. (Yeah, you can turn it off, but pointless stuff is pointless.)
[ img ]
[ img ][ img ]
Thortok2000
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Thortok2000 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:32 pm

The segment list is extremely helpful, but could we get an 'alternate name' column?

That would be so extremely useful you have no idea. =P

Something like 'alt name 1', 'alt name 1 city', 'alt name 2', 'alt name 2 city', etc.
[ img ]
[ img ][ img ]
Thortok2000
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: [Script] WME Toolbox (1.6.3)

Postby Thortok2000 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:03 pm

I understand permissions are the hot topic right now, but what bart just asked had nothing to do with permissions.

The functionality of the tool itself has been modified to not delete junctions on which there are turns or u-turns on, or something. Can we revert that change in functionality? That's the question.

We still have permission to use the tool, it is the tool itself that has changed. Not a permissions issue. =P

Also, my request for an alternate name category/column in the segment list was completely overlooked too. =(
[ img ]
[ img ][ img ]
Thortok2000
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Thortok2000 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:45 pm

On that segment sketch, u-turns are enabled and there are no turn restrictions.

I can understand the tool ignoring nodes that have an enabled u-turn. Obviously you don't want to delete those. Although I wasn't aware that the tool ever did delete those. Because of the enabled u-turn.

What we have now is nodes where the u turns aren't enabled but none of the turns are enabled either. Those restricted turns now block the tool from being used whereas before they didn't.

There is no case where a turn restriction on a junction in between two segments should exist in the first place; the proper solution is the use of a one-way segment on one side or the other. (The tool doesn't delete junctions where direction changes.)

An enabled u-turn should block the junction from being deleted. A change in elevation. A change in direction. Heck, even a change in name or road type. But turn restrictions shouldn't.
[ img ]
[ img ][ img ]
Thortok2000
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Thortok2000 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:20 am

Sorry sketch, I know you're more experienced than me, but I'm going to say no, there isn't.

There is NO case where a junction with a turn restriction fulfills a purpose that cannot be replaced by a one-way segment on the other side of that junction. Even if it's just a short one-way segment before returning to two-way again.

Specifically referring to two-segment junctions here and not intersections, of course. The kind of junctions the tool would target.

Now, if you're saying some in the world exist, I'm sure they do, however I still feel they'd be better mapped using a one-way segment anyway. It'd look cleaner on the map and be easier to understand.
[ img ]
[ img ][ img ]
Thortok2000
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Thortok2000 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:15 am

It's harder to see at higher zoom levels (compared with the shift-Z of showing all turn restrictions).

Also, as rare as that situation itself is, I find it exceptionally unlikely that such a junction, if 'correctly' mapped to have a turn restriction, would therefore also NOT have the u-turn enabled for the poor soul facing that do not enter sign.

And therefore turn restriction aside, the u-turn itself being enabled would be all the protection said junction needs from the tool. Therefore having turn restrictions as a protection is unnecessary.
[ img ]
[ img ][ img ]
Thortok2000
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Thortok2000 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:36 am

PesachZ wrote:I'll just put it out there that I too have seen cases where a street is two way on both sides of a node but you are not allowed to cross the node in one direction. This was in the middle of a block, not at an intersection. On one side the street the town erected a few bollards and a do not enter sign, the total length of the street which was essentially one way was about 0.3 meters, way below the minimum segment length of 5 meters. The only proper way to map this is with a node in middle a one red arrow. A node the tool would have removed, and from anything besides almost full zoom or street view you wouldn't think twice about it.

One red arrow and an enabled u-turn. It's the enabled u-turn that would make it a node the tool wouldn't remove.

Red arrows are a dime a dozen and are the default for all nodes that get generated, on purpose or by accident or base import. Enabled u-turns are, if not completely editor dependent, at least majorly so.

A following list of rules (not complete) should help:

1 - If there are only soft turns on the node (the default setting of an untouched node that was generated by basemap), delete it
2 - If there are only hard turns on the node but they are ALL restricted turns (the default setting of an untouched node that was generated by an editor), delete it
3 - if all turns are enabled but u-turns are not, delete it
4 - If a u-turn is enabled, do not delete it
5 - If node contains a mixture of enabled and restricted hard turns (been touched/configured by an editor), do not delete it

This is of course not counting all the other checks of direction, elevation, road type/name, etc.

Sound good?
[ img ]
[ img ][ img ]
Thortok2000
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Thortok2000 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:08 am

The other side of the node.

If you can't enter, then you have to be able to turn around (or you'd be stuck there forever.) Hence, enabled u-turn.
[ img ]
[ img ][ img ]
Thortok2000
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: [Script] WME Toolbox (1.7.11)

Postby Tiidu » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:45 pm

CountryManager & Local Champ in Estonia
[ img ]
Tiidu
Waze Local Champs