[Script] WMEMagic

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, JustinS83, Glodenox

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] WMEMagic

Postby Mvan231 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:00 pm

What does "Visual Search" highlight actually do? I can't seem to find info on it
- mvan231 (3)
GLR | Michigan Editor
Wazeopedia :lol: | Engineer :geek: | iOS user :)
Mvan231

Postby SeveriorumPatrem » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:22 pm

jm6087 wrote:
tenetienne wrote:Are ground level RR tracks and local streets supposed to get Segments Intersecting highlights also? I've noticed a few and this one here in New Hampshire, U.S. is showing it, so I decided to mention it. Using the latest version of Magic, 172 and that is the only script running. I haven't read through this entire thread, so if this case is normal, I'll just leave it.
Thanks

Yes, they should get intersecting flag. We are supposed to junction them not overlap them.

Last I heard, guidance was to NOT junction railroads with driveable roads any more (a decision I didn't agree with but way above my pay grade). Has that changed back?
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
The Grumpy Dad
The more I learn, the more I discover how much I don't know.
SeveriorumPatrem
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby jm6087 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:29 pm

SeveriorumPatrem wrote:
jm6087 wrote:
tenetienne wrote:Are ground level RR tracks and local streets supposed to get Segments Intersecting highlights also? I've noticed a few and this one here in New Hampshire, U.S. is showing it, so I decided to mention it. Using the latest version of Magic, 172 and that is the only script running. I haven't read through this entire thread, so if this case is normal, I'll just leave it.
Thanks

Yes, they should get intersecting flag. We are supposed to junction them not overlap them.

Last I heard, guidance was to NOT junction railroads with driveable roads any more (a decision I didn't agree with but way above my pay grade). Has that changed back?

I may be thinking about SCR guidance and not national guidance.
SCR Wiki wrote:Railroads mapped in the South Central Region should follow the current standard of editing. All crossings should be connected to drivable segments accordingly. If no crossing exists, elevate the segment accordingly.
As a general rule, I don't see any issues with junctions. In either case, Magic probably should flag if they are not junctioned since Magic is just a guide.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby ehepner1977 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:30 pm

That certainly isn't PLN guidance.
SM: Missouri
ARC: PLN
LC: USA
[ img ][ img ] [ img ][ img ][ img ]
ehepner1977
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby jm6087 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:32 pm

My apologies for thinking it was national guidance.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby ehepner1977 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:36 pm

jm6087 wrote:My apologies for thinking it was national guidance.

Sorry, John, I ran into the too many nested quotes. I was replying to Sev. PLN still junctions as appropriate
SM: Missouri
ARC: PLN
LC: USA
[ img ][ img ] [ img ][ img ][ img ]
ehepner1977
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby iainhouse » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:28 am

Mvan231 wrote:What does "Visual Search" highlight actually do? I can't seem to find info on it

If you type text into the search box (no need to hit RETURN), Magic will highlight segments with matching names. :geek:
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
UK AdminsUK WikiWaze FAQWMEFU Script :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Location: on the road from London to insanity, with Waze HQ in the driving seat

Postby iainhouse » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:37 am

SeveriorumPatrem wrote:Last I heard, guidance was to NOT junction railroads with driveable roads any more (a decision I didn't agree with but way above my pay grade). Has that changed back?

I won't speak towards any local /national guidelines on mapping. But at several meetups over the last couple of years, Waze routing devs (particularly Yigal) have recommended junctioning railroad and driveable segments. The reasoning given was that it allows Waze to better estimate transition times across the junctions.

One reason for not doing it is historical: in the distant past there have been examples of actual routing onto RR segments. Yigal assured us that Waze will now never route onto a RR segment and I've certainly not seen/heard of that happening for years.

There's an additional advantage to having a junction: if the crossing is closed (for maintenance or an accident), then you can add two one-way RTCs, each pointing away from the junction. That will allow drivers to be routed to either side of the crossing, right up to the crossing itself, but won't allow through-routing.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
UK AdminsUK WikiWaze FAQWMEFU Script :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Location: on the road from London to insanity, with Waze HQ in the driving seat

Postby SeveriorumPatrem » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:21 am

Agreed on all points, iainhouse, but then there's this (USA guidance, and emphasis added by me):

https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Ro ... s#Railroad

In specific circumstances, create junctions between drivable roads and railroads at grade crossings. Otherwise, do not junction grade crossings. The resulting elevation conflicts are acceptable.

This bullet point then has a lengthy footnote attached, which reads in part:

Adding a junction node for a grade crossing only benefits routing if both (1) between the existing junction nodes on the drivable road on either side of the grade crossing, there is at least one destination on one side of the crossing and room for cars to back up waiting on the other; and (2) the tracks support regular, scheduled train traffic. If either of these elements is missing, adding a junction node for the grade crossing will not benefit routing and may in some cases degrade routing.

Sorry, this is getting totally off topic for the script thread and maybe should be moved elsewhere.....
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
The Grumpy Dad
The more I learn, the more I discover how much I don't know.
SeveriorumPatrem
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby juliansean » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:09 pm

Is there any way we can get Magic to decrease the number of times it shows "segments intersecting?" The guidance continues to be "turn that feature off." But, it's a great feature when it works. If it just would stop showing all kinds of false ones, we could advise to turn it back on. So many unnecessary edits being made during the MO/KC raid due to this one feature. Thank you!
Sean Julian
MSM: TX, LA, MS, AR, OK
AM: Southeast FL, Boston, MA, Bronx, NY, Manhattan, NY, Queens, NY, Eastern California, Southwest KS

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
juliansean
State Manager
State Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts