Inundated with new speed cameras

Post by happykayray
NYC recently announced the addition of 700+ speed cameras, some will be permanent, the others in parked cars. My question is two fold, first why aren’t the new cameras showing up on Waze, as I for one have been noting the same camera for weeks now yet it still hasn’t showed up on the map? The second part of my question is how do we alert to the temporary camera locations that are typically hidden inside a small white transit van with antennas and stuff on the roof? I am not sure if all of the boros are not updating as fast as the cameras are going up but I know first hand it’s a problem on the Staten Island map.
happykayray

POSTER_ID:17881789

Send a message

Post by BKLYNDRVR
Where did you acquire the SI list of cameras? maybe there are lists for the other boroughs as well.
BKLYNDRVR
Send a message

Post by dude495
As Juliansean mentioned we are trying to add these as quickly as we can. Unfortunately there’s no official list of locations so we can only add them when they’re reported to us, then they take a few days to reach the app. As for the temporary ones we do not map these at all, as previously mentioned they can be moved before it reaches the app and there is absolutely no way to track them.
dude495
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Dan B - Texas AM - New York SM - Pakistan Coordinator/Local Champ
Waze New York & NYC Social Media
New York Partnerships Coordinator
Pakistan Community Booster
iOS & WME ßeta Tester
Waze USA & Pakistan Mentor

https://i.ibb.co/2KztPb6/forumsig.png

Post by dude495
Unix_Slayer wrote:Staten Island, one of the 5 boros of NYC is barely showing any Speed Cameras in Waze. We have become inundated with Speed cameras on almost every other block. We are all adding them to Waze, but it seems Waze is still not reporting them almost 2 months later. When can we expect proper reporting of Speed Cameras on Staten Island? People are getting slammed with tickets.....
We, the volunteer map editors, are adding them to the map as fast as we can across the city. Unfortunately these take time to verify their location and accuracy before pushed to the map. NYC does not do a great job publishing these to make it easier for us so sometimes they take longer than usual. Also remember it is the drivers responsibility to make sure they are following all posted speed limits and other laws of the road, whether in Waze or not. If you come across a camera that is not listed in Waze that you think should be please feel free to submit a photo of it and it’s identifiable location to us via WazeNewYork@gmail.com and we can look into them on a case by case basis.
dude495
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Dan B - Texas AM - New York SM - Pakistan Coordinator/Local Champ
Waze New York & NYC Social Media
New York Partnerships Coordinator
Pakistan Community Booster
iOS & WME ßeta Tester
Waze USA & Pakistan Mentor

https://i.ibb.co/2KztPb6/forumsig.png

Post by happykayray
Thank you for the quick response. Do I come back to your response to advise of new camera besides sending a notification through the app?
happykayray
Send a message

Post by jdelosa
Hi Happy,

We also can not use Third Party info to add them to the Waze map.

So we need first hand reports from Wazers to set up the location.

You could help us with this bu giving us the locations, or by, with our help, adding them in the Waze Map Editor yourself.

I have added 4 in the pass to months that have just been installed along my daily driver.

As for the moving cars, we have chosen to use the hidden police report in the app as a way to ID the moving car speed traps.

Unfortunately not everyone knows this.

Please feel free to write back, and if you would like get more involved with the Volunteer Map Editing Community.

Thanks John
jdelosa
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator
Send a message

Post by jdelosa
It would be best here because of the number of false reports we get from the app we could mis it.

But I would say for you to report from the app so the GPS location is correct, then let's know here as well.

With that we should be able to get them updated as quickly as the map updates go through.

Thanks John
jdelosa
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator
Send a message

Post by juliansean
We are adding them as quickly as we can. It takes time after we add them on the editor to reach the app. If you have a list of specific cross streets you'd like us to make sure of, I'd be glad to look over your list.

In regards to temporary ones, there is not much we can do. By the time we get it added to the app, it may very well be gone.
juliansean
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message
Sean Julian
CM
SM: TX, LA, MS, AR, OK
AM: SE FL, Boston, MA, Brooklyn, NY, Bronx, NY, Manhattan, NY, Queens, NY, E CA, SW KS

Post by NavyCharles24
I recommend you report these mobile cameras as POLICE. then input in NOTES it's a mobile Speed Camera. It's a Law Enforcement Camera so why not report it as POLICE then Notes....
NavyCharles24
Send a message

Post by Unix_Slayer
Staten Island, one of the 5 boros of NYC is barely showing any Speed Cameras in Waze. We have become inundated with Speed cameras on almost every other block. We are all adding them to Waze, but it seems Waze is still not reporting them almost 2 months later. When can we expect proper reporting of Speed Cameras on Staten Island? People are getting slammed with tickets.....
Unix_Slayer
Send a message