Forum for requesting any unlocks, closures or fixes by a higher rank editor.
Please read "Posting Guidelines" before submitting your request.

L2: N80 Closure for Ploughing Championships

Post by TurbulentPriest
Saw this mentioned on Slack just now:

The N80 will close from junction with Graiguenaspidogue (L3050) to junction with Killnock (L7110) –
from Monday 16th at 10am to Friday 20th at 12noon.

I know there were queries on Slack about figuring out the L-roads; maybe the road map(s) in this helps? My PC is having conniptions with it though.

https://www.npa.ie/wp-content/uploads/2 ... -FINAL.pdf

--

(Came a cropper at M9 J5 Northbound which was supposed to be closed at 4:00AM - but had been closed earlier by some bright spark! No Circle-K coffee for me!)
TurbulentPriest

POSTER_ID:17893394

Send a message

Post by davidg666
Hi Doug,
TurbulentPriest wrote:Saw this mentioned on Slack just now:

The N80 will close from junction with Graiguenaspidogue (L3050) to junction with Killnock (L7110) –
from Monday 16th at 10am to Friday 20th at 12noon.

I know there were queries on Slack about figuring out the L-roads; maybe the road map(s) in this helps? My PC is having conniptions with it though.

https://www.npa.ie/wp-content/uploads/2 ... -FINAL.pdf

--

(Came a cropper at M9 J5 Northbound which was supposed to be closed at 4:00AM - but had been closed earlier by some bright spark! No Circle-K coffee for me!)
Yeah, I was the person who posted that to Slack. I was also the "bright spark" who put the closure on M9 J5's exit ramps - and that was set to take effect from 4am today. Are you saying it was closed before that or that it wasn't closed when it should be? I see no evidence of an earlier closure!

When I posted to Slack yesterday I was hoping somebody else would work out what section of the N80 to close, because I was at work at the time...

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
Quick followup: I found the relevant roads on the N80 and I've just created the closure there, to last until noon on Friday.

I bet the road's open overnight, but no mention of that on the official document...

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
'morning Doug,
TurbulentPriest wrote:Yes - my dashcam footage has me and the missus passing M9 J5 Northbound at 3:08AM on the 17th of September - and the slip-road is well and truly closed; it's completely coned-off and there is a large orange "ROAD CLOSED" sign. I'd post an image if the board allowed it; the language in the video clip is a bit too colourful ;-)

So that's the "bright spark" I was referring to; the one who decided to be all proactive and physically close the road an hour or more earlier than the published time - "Junction 5 Exits off the M9 Motorway at Rathcorgue will also be closed to traffic from 4am on the 17th of September for the duration of the event."

Waze was trying to route me to the J5 Circle K where we wanted to grab a coffee because your automated 4AM restriction had (correctly) not come in to force yet. Amusingly, we did not pass a single sign telling us J5 was closed until we hit the junction; it was a complete (and unpleasantly coffee-free) surprise.

Had I known it had been closed prematurely - I probably would have moved some cones and popped down to the garage; only the slip-roads off the motorway were coned, not the ones rejoining it.
Ahhhh - that's what you meant!

Must have been somebody on the overnight shift who decided to put the cones in place early so they could get home to their bed early - thinking that surely nobody would be travelling at that time of day :)

Do you start south of the Paulstown exit of the M9? There's a services stop there too. I assume that's open overnight as well. Not much use if you're already north of it, of course!

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by TurbulentPriest
Hi David
davidg666 wrote:
TurbulentPriest wrote: (Came a cropper at M9 J5 Northbound which was supposed to be closed at 4:00AM - but had been closed earlier by some bright spark! No Circle-K coffee for me!)
Yeah, I was the person who posted that to Slack. I was also the "bright spark" who put the closure on M9 J5's exit ramps - and that was set to take effect from 4am today. Are you saying it was closed before that or that it wasn't closed when it should be? I see no evidence of an earlier closure!
++David
Yes - my dashcam footage has me and the missus passing M9 J5 Northbound at 3:08AM on the 17th of September - and the slip-road is well and truly closed; it's completely coned-off and there is a large orange "ROAD CLOSED" sign. I'd post an image if the board allowed it; the language in the video clip is a bit too colourful ;-)

So that's the "bright spark" I was referring to; the one who decided to be all proactive and physically close the road an hour or more earlier than the published time - "Junction 5 Exits off the M9 Motorway at Rathcorgue will also be closed to traffic from 4am on the 17th of September for the duration of the event."

Waze was trying to route me to the J5 Circle K where we wanted to grab a coffee because your automated 4AM restriction had (correctly) not come in to force yet. Amusingly, we did not pass a single sign telling us J5 was closed until we hit the junction; it was a complete (and unpleasantly coffee-free) surprise.

Had I known it had been closed prematurely - I probably would have moved some cones and popped down to the garage; only the slip-roads off the motorway were coned, not the ones rejoining it.

Re your later message - everything I've read says the closures are 24hr - with access to the N80 stretch restricted to "passes for residents", emergency vehicles and other related event traffic.

-- Doug
TurbulentPriest
Send a message

Post by TurbulentPriest
davidg666 wrote:'morning Doug,
Do you start south of the Paulstown exit of the M9? There's a services stop there too. I assume that's open overnight as well. Not much use if you're already north of it, of course!

++David
Hey there

Yes - we head up from Waterford; the J5 garage is handy as it's almost exactly half-way and just off the motorway, Circle K (their loyalty app is pretty good) - and this time I wanted to road-test a recent edit Yanis had made to the garage entry road to permit routing into it... So double the disappointment! :lol:

I'll see what the skinny is with Paulstown next time we're passing; thanks.
TurbulentPriest
Send a message