Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by dude495
cycle201 wrote:
jdelosa wrote:That is definitely something we do weigh on a case by case basis.

I was referring to the list as presented. I did not see any hours or days in effect, and therefore suggested we need some additional information to make a determination on where we could add or change the speed limits.

NYS list is here, and we know school is mon-fri, seems we can just lower the limit as a warning, Just my opinion
We map the speed limit that is consistent majority of the time. "School Days" is a very vague term and time frame as different schools have different school days and hours. This also does not account for unexpected school closures, such as evacuations, weather/snow, Teacher Days etc. The discussion to change our guidance from this to map school zone speed limits has been brought up a small handful of times and after discussion each time by leadership its been determined to leave it as it is until Waze HQ gives us more features/abilities to map fluctuating speed limits such as school zones.
dude495
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Dan B - Texas AM - New York SM - Pakistan Coordinator/Local Champ
Waze New York & NYC Social Media
New York Partnerships Coordinator
Pakistan Community Booster
iOS & WME ßeta Tester
Waze USA & Pakistan Mentor

https://i.ibb.co/2KztPb6/forumsig.png

Post by jdelosa
And most of all, we don't write the Guidelines, we just have to follow them.

But I would turn your efforts to the feature request area of the Waze App

viewforum.php?f=657

There you would be requesting to the development team, who has the power to add this for us.

Thanks JD
jdelosa
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator
Send a message

Post by jdelosa
Although that is an official list from NY we have no current way to change Speed limits for school zones unless they are 24/7

We will have to find out if any of these are.

Thanks John
jdelosa
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator
Send a message

Post by jdelosa
That is definitely something we do weigh on a case by case basis.

I was referring to the list as presented. I did not see any hours or days in effect, and therefore suggested we need some additional information to make a determination on where we could add or change the speed limits.
jdelosa
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator
Send a message

Post by RussPA
There are too many issues with school zones to make it practical for us to add them:
- Not all school zones have speed traps.
- School zones are usually only a few hundred feet, which would force us to cut roads up to add those school zones.
- They vary with time of year, holidays, weather, etc, as was already mentioned, and there would be no way for us to keep up with all those variations.
- Some in my area turn on and off 3 or 4 times a day.
In my opinion, mapping school zones would cause more problems than it solves and would be very difficult to keep accurate, which could lead to a lot of user complaints.
RussPA  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 4
Send a message

Assistant Regional Coordinator - NOR
Global Champ - US
WME Beta Community Coordinator

Post by SpencerFG
Adjusting school zone speed limits for school times may be difficult as they can be quite variable throughout the year. On the other hand it probably wouldn't be too difficult to have a school zone alert for weekdays since schools are already mapped and don't move frequently.
SpencerFG
Send a message

Post by SpencerFG
The idea of adding school alerts was in lieu of trying to adjust speed limits for school zones. Since schools are mapped already, an alert at roads that intersect a radius of, say, 300 feet from the stop point should be doable. It could work somewhat like the hazard alerts. Roads would not need to be cut and I don't think editors would need to be involved except to check for exceptions as they arise. It also wouldn't be too intrusive to the driver to be notified from perhaps 0600 to 1800 on weekdays, regardless of whether schools are in session.

Whether this is worthwhile is a different issue. It was just an idea to address potential speed traps and variable speed limits.
SpencerFG
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Unfortunately, there is no way to set different speed limits for different times of day.
voludu2
Send a message