The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Restrictions Expire One Day Too Early

Post by
After having seen a number of URs complaining about malfunctioning restrictions on holidays, I did a test to see if our expectations about TBR expiration might be incorrect.

I set a restriction prohibiting all traffic on a PR segment near my home, with a start date of 09-12-2019 and an end date of 09-13-2019. Yesterday (09-12), the restriction worked as expected and I was routed on a short detour around the restricted segment. Today (09-13), however, the restriction is not working and I was routed over the same segment. The evident conclusion is that a restriction expires at the beginning of the last day of the date range, not at the end of that day.

I have not yet tested turn restrictions to verify that they work the same way, but will do so next week and update this thread.

I recall being told back in the 2015-2016 era when this functionality was first introduced that restrictions would continue through the end of the last date set, but thanks to the crappy search function of this forum I have been unable to find that discussion.

Is it in fact intended by Waze that restrictions are not effective on the last day of the date range? If so, many date-based restrictions all over the map are going to need to be reviewed and revised!

POSTER_ID:11539915

Send a message

Post by atrophicshiner
Has there been any follow up to this, looking at a UR today that had a TBR set on a turn arrow to expire at the end of day 21st Nov, Waze routed through the restriction at 12:45pm. Nearly 12 hours before it should have.

atrophicshiner
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 8
Send a message
- Chris - (Catching up with the Ia{i}ns one Chris at a time)

https://cottagepi.uk/proud-wazer.gifhttps://cottagepi.uk/pirate.pnghttps://cottagepi.uk/Beta_app.pnghttps://cottagepi.uk/tolls.pnghttps://cottagepi.uk/Iain.png
UK Local Champ would you believe
AM the Middle bit of England
Usability | Simplicity | Retention

Post by jm6087
russblau wrote:After having seen a number of URs complaining about malfunctioning restrictions on holidays, I did a test to see if our expectations about TBR expiration might be incorrect.

I set a restriction prohibiting all traffic on a PR segment near my home, with a start date of 09-12-2019 and an end date of 09-13-2019. Yesterday (09-12), the restriction worked as expected and I was routed on a short detour around the restricted segment. Today (09-13), however, the restriction is not working and I was routed over the same segment. The evident conclusion is that a restriction expires at the beginning of the last day of the date range, not at the end of that day.

I have not yet tested turn restrictions to verify that they work the same way, but will do so next week and update this thread.

I recall being told back in the 2015-2016 era when this functionality was first introduced that restrictions would continue through the end of the last date set, but thanks to the crappy search function of this forum I have been unable to find that discussion.

Is it in fact intended by Waze that restrictions are not effective on the last day of the date range? If so, many date-based restrictions all over the map are going to need to be reviewed and revised!
I can see this causing so many issues when using TBR. I just assumed that it was end of day.
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 21
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
Twister-UK wrote:WME allows the start and end date to be equal when saving TBRs, so it's a reasonable assumption that restrictions ought to run from the beginning of the start date through to the end of the end date.
Umm...reasonable assumption and Waze can be an oxymoron :lol:
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 21
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by kumiankka
russblau wrote:After having seen a number of URs complaining about malfunctioning restrictions on holidays, I did a test to see if our expectations about TBR expiration might be incorrect.

Thanks for confirming this. I had a hunch that TBR's might actually exipre on beginning of the ending date but I couldn't be sure. Waze once suggested me a new ramp day too early but I just thought that I had entered wrong ending day to that particualr TBR myself.
kumiankka
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by kumiankka
Trexer0 wrote:Hate to bump such an old thread but seems there has been no recent updates from staff on this. Based on the number of URs when we had a TBTR expire a day earlier this is still an issue, which I've further confirmed in testing since.
Now that it's so well documented here it's no longer a bug. It's a feature!
kumiankka
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by kumiankka
russblau wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:45 pm Reviving this old thread to report that, as of yesterday (25 April 2023) in NA at least, this behavior has changed -- a restriction with start date on 24 April and end date on 25 April was effective on both of those days. Apparently no one at Waze ever bothered to tell anyone that they had changed this.

Nice, thanks. If this applies to ROW as well, then I have to unlearn the habit of ending closures restrictions always one day later. As a computer guy, it didn't bother me one bit that, for example, the end of the year was actually Jan 1 at 00:00 of the next year instead of Dec 31 at 24:00 of the current year. Technically, it's the same moment in time, just a different day of the week. On the other hand, in Finland, all dates and times are inclusive by default. So if something is said to start on Jan 1, it means it starts at Jan 1, 00:00, and if something ends on Dec 31, it ends at Dec 31, 24:00.

This post was proofread by ChatGPT (GPT-4), so blame me for any typos.

kumiankka
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by Machete808
russblau wrote:Update: tested with a turn restriction for a two-day period, and got the same result: the restriction was effective on the first day, but not the second.

I'm going to test some other combinations over the next few days (week?) and will provide further data.
This sounds to be a serious bug. If, say, it's a Sat-Sun restriction, and you have both the dates and the days of the week entered (the Sat and Sun checkboxes), the restriction lapses after Saturday? If so, that would be totally counterintuitive.
Machete808
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/on9 ... i.png?dl=0https://www.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s ... x.png?dl=0
U.S. Local Champ
Hawaii State Manager
California State Manager
Country manager, U.S.
Welcome, new editors:
Here's a good place to start!

Post by maiapas
Thank you for reporting this and sorry for the inconvenience.

We opened an internal issue and we'll keep you updated.

Best,
Maia
maiapas
Waze Team
Waze Team
Answers: 3
Send a message

Post by rdnnk
I also have the experience that restrictions do not work properly on the last day of the specified period. However, if I test with start and end on the same day, it works well.
Has anyone already reported a bug for this? If not, I will do.
rdnnk
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
https://wazeQ.link/rdnnk202303.png
·Coordinator Slovenia · Booster Croatia · CM The Netherlands ·TL Localization
·SLO Website Join Slack      ·NL: Website Join Slack     ·HR: Join Slack

Post by rdnnk
Very coincidently, today we also had again an issue on a road with restrictions ending today.
These segments have restrictions, except on some Saturdays where the tunnel is free and routing goes via this toll free segments.
PL: https://www.waze.com/nl/editor?env=row& ... 680.786834
This evening I had to set closures on the segments, because people are already being send over this segments although it is still Friday.
rdnnk
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
https://wazeQ.link/rdnnk202303.png
·Coordinator Slovenia · Booster Croatia · CM The Netherlands ·TL Localization
·SLO Website Join Slack      ·NL: Website Join Slack     ·HR: Join Slack