Post by turbomkt
Despite what we've seen in some cases, I remember being told Avoid Tolls is an absolute. $.02
turbomkt  
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
--Mike
ARC for Southwest Region

Post by NJMedic2535
DwarfLord wrote: I doubt this would be a problem going in since such drivers would be well acquainted with the fee gates (and probably have some kind of exemption or pass).
See, that's just the problem there ... it's a resort community, and while there are probably some full-time residents most of the places are rentals. If you rent a place and enter the address as "West Yosemite" you'll have no idea you're gonna enter a park. (I've been to West Yellowstone ... that's a big town, not part of anything NPS.)

If we're going to consider guidance based on a few example of broken routing, we need to also consider the few examples of the toll display failing on our hack as well.
NJMedic2535
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1

Post by NJMedic2535
DwarfLord wrote: Concern #2 is that drivers arriving at a destination may be unprepared for destination fees, and that we should therefore adapt Waze's toll feature to advise them of such even when through routes are not involved. Am I hearing that correctly? Is that a direction we want to go?
No, I'm saying we want to use the toll feature to announce entry fees. Leave that up to local leadership though as some people might see it as a sort of toll to drive into a National Park. Now that we have the ability to show the price, it could be nice-to know.

My main concern is making thru-roads through National Parks function like other toll roads as these thru-roads are frequently mH and higher, and the detour may or may not be huge to avoid them and users may have no idea they're about to travel thru a park from one place to another.

I was using West Yosemite as an example where the 'backwards toll' mapping proposed would lead to confusion. For the record, the landlord we rented from did not share the fact that we'd pass thru the park on the way there. But my wife does good pre-travel research so no surprise (and we had mom-and-dad with us who have the senior lifetime ATB pass anyway).
NJMedic2535
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1

Post by turbomkt
I wonder how Waze would handle routing if the toll is set up as entry/exit. If it doesn't go through both (it only goes through the entrance), what happens?
turbomkt  
Coordinators
Coordinators
--Mike
ARC for Southwest Region

Post by turbomkt
Sounds like it might be a possible answer.
turbomkt  
Coordinators
Coordinators
--Mike
ARC for Southwest Region

Post by turbomkt
Kartografer wrote:Toll prices have no effect on routing. So if you made an entry/exit price for driving through a park, all that would change is that people stopping in the park would see "toll" with no price.
Which matches what some parks currently have where the entrance is marked as a toll. Hmm.
turbomkt  
Coordinators
Coordinators
--Mike
ARC for Southwest Region

Post by voludu2
It seems to me that wazeopedia guidance should be to KISS with "Normal" entrance-segment tolling. This should work in most cases.

We've seen a couple of cases where there is a persistent routing problem for drivers who have selected "avoid tolls". These would then be exceptions to the rule. exit segment tolling is a workaround, and should only be considered in consultation with the state management team. There are some downsides (confusing messages about tolls for those starting or ending their drive within the national park).
voludu2