Chains/Places Harmonisation

[ img ]

Moderators: Unholy, davidg666, arthurohara

Chains/Places Harmonisation

Postby YanisKyr » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:27 pm

Hi guys, let's discuss options of harmonising chains on this card.

A few points worth noting:
- the search function values alternative names a lot even though they remain invisible in the app
- search results show the street and city which helps picking a result
- short POI names remain visible on the map for longer (depending on how crowded the surroundings are)

See attachments below for example search results for "Aldi Ashbourne" Or "Tesco Ashbourne" - I was abroad at the time of the screenshots and I was expecting to see 1 Mega Meter for this distance :mrgreen: :lol:

I'll be adding agreed entries to this Google Spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... dIiIfojsc/

Screenshot_20191102-123429_Waze.jpg
(126.89 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Last edited by YanisKyr on Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YanisKyr
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Re: Chains/Places Harmonisation

Postby YanisKyr » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:28 pm

Entries in the table of the 1st post should be considered placeholders and up for debate.
YanisKyr
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby YanisKyr » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:30 pm

Tesco have "grades" for their shops (express, metro, superstore, extra).

My suggestion on this chain is to use Tesco [grade]/Tesco [store-name]/https://tesco.ie
YanisKyr
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby johnsninja58 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:05 pm

I think a great start. A couple of ideas on the list:
Include categories and possible alternative, for the ones so far they are relatively simple but you start getting into the challenges of coffee shops do you want to include they are a bakery. McDonald's is fast food but some chain might be considered restaurants.
Add a note column

I like the utilizing the chain's store name as an alternative, as the primary name will show in the map if it is an area and "Aldi" is cleaner than "Aldi Ashbourne" on the map.

My understanding is currently you are following the UK practice on Places Area vs Point. Do you want to define these harmonized places category on this list? The USA defines all categories. This might be a different discussion altogether for the Area vs Point topic.

Another consideration is creating this in a google sheet, easier to update and you could also embed it into a Wazeopedia page.

Do you want submissions to be via the forum or a google form (could go into a separate tab on the sheet)

I have a couple of chains that I was thinking of suggesting, Ill post them a little later.
-John
-------
[ img ][ img ]
VT - State Manager
New England - Multi State Manager
johnsninja58
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator

Postby YanisKyr » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:02 pm

Great idea with the Google Sheets. I created the file, linked it in the first post as read-only for now, and also included columns for Categories, Type, and Lock. I wasn't aware we can embed them in Wazeopedia and that's great news because tables in the forum and Wazeopedia are rather hard to manage.

Submissions at the moment in this post; if the feedback is overwhelming we'll consider a form.
YanisKyr
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby Kevintiobraid » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:17 pm

My own preference is only to have the type of store for supermarkets, e.g. Tesco Metro or just Supervalu, rather than the town or location name as well. It gets a bit unwieldy otherwise. The street and town will always appear in the search results, as seen in Yanis's screenshot, so you will have reassurance that you are going to the right one. Tesco Metro Ashbourne could be an alternative name.
For hotels, its always helpful to have the full name as given by the hotel, Jurys Inn Parnell Street.
Kevin
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
AM for South Tipperary, Waterford, South Kilkenny, Derby, Nottingham, Lincoln
Kevintiobraid
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby davidg666 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:44 am

Kevintiobraid wrote:My own preference is only to have the type of store for supermarkets, e.g. Tesco Metro or just Supervalu, rather than the town or location name as well. It gets a bit unwieldy otherwise. The street and town will always appear in the search results, as seen in Yanis's screenshot, so you will have reassurance that you are going to the right one. Tesco Metro Ashbourne could be an alternative name.
For hotels, its always helpful to have the full name as given by the hotel, Jurys Inn Parnell Street.

In the past, I've named supermarkets without the type but with the location (eg "Tesco Ashbourne"), and I don't care that much for the type (eg Metro/Extra/whatever).

Looking just now, I find the information shown in search results (for "Tesco", for example) to be not all that useful when the location name isn't included, but I probably need to fiddle with it some more.

One thing I need to check out (to firm up my opinion) is what Carplay shows in search results - it might not be as useful as what's shown on the phone. I'll check at the weekend and report back...

About the spreadsheet: Yanis, can you enable suggestions? The chain name for Aldi is "Aldi", not "ALDI".

For road interchanges: I think I prefer "M/Nxx Jnn" or "M/Nxx Jnn / M/Nyy Jmm" rather than using the alternate name, because nobody (except for road engineering staff :) ) ever navigates to an interchange - all we care about here is what we show on screen.

++David
Country manager and local champ for Ireland
AM for Dublin, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Graiguenamanagh and Enniscorthy

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby YanisKyr » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:41 pm

Kevintiobraid wrote:My own preference is only to have the type of store for supermarkets, e.g. Tesco Metro or just Supervalu, rather than the town or location name as well. It gets a bit unwieldy otherwise. The street and town will always appear in the search results, as seen in Yanis's screenshot, so you will have reassurance that you are going to the right one. Tesco Metro Ashbourne could be an alternative name.

The locality might be useful if there are more than one places in the same town, or if the road name is blank and the town isn't adding much info either.

davidg666 wrote:One thing I need to check out (to firm up my opinion) is what Carplay shows in search results - it might not be as useful as what's shown on the phone. I'll check at the weekend and report back...

It would be interesting to see how Android Auto shows stuff. I've never ever used it myself, haven't even seen it in action.

davidg666 wrote:About the spreadsheet: Yanis, can you enable suggestions? The chain name for Aldi is "Aldi", not "ALDI".

Actual chain name for Aldi is ALDI - that's how they call themselves. Not sure I get you here.

On the suggestions, do you not think this thread is enough for now?

Edit: btw, Google has some really funny anonymous emojis nowdays:
[ img ]
YanisKyr
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby johnsninja58 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:53 am

Localization for chains can be difficult. Sometimes it is enough for people to see the address when they click on a result. Sometimes one needs more of a name for the place to be better prepared to pick the right location.

Examples Aldi (Website and twitter in text format refers itself as "Aldi" despite their logo being all caps "ALDI", interestingly in the USA they do have more consistent usage of the all caps). Much of the time the address or distance from you will be adequate to pick the correct Aldi.

Looking at Tesco (Similar case where the logo is all caps but in text they refer to themselves as Tesco on their website). I am not familiar with the different brands of Tesco stores. Quickly looking at their website reveals many types, but when I look at their store fronts they seam to have little differences.

[ img ]
[ img ]PL to Location
[ img ]PL to Location

But if I search for a place I will see that it is Ashbourne or other with the visible address, do we need to include the name?

However I know with my recent travels I stayed at a Maldron Hotel in Dublin and this does become quickly confusing on which one to is the correct one

[ img ]
Maldon @ the Airport - Might benefit from including in the name Dublin Airport?
Maldron elsewhere in Dublin

Which actually brings up my first suggested place
Maldron Hotels - Name: Maldron Hotels - (Location Name), Category: Hotel, A/P: Area Place, Website: https://www.maldronhotels.com/
-John
-------
[ img ][ img ]
VT - State Manager
New England - Multi State Manager
johnsninja58
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator

Postby YanisKyr » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:32 pm

@John I saw your request for comments on the spreadsheet and changed the settings of the link in post #1 to allow comments for all.

I'll avoid quoting images below.
johnsninja58 wrote:Looking at Tesco (Similar case where the logo is all caps but in text they refer to themselves as Tesco on their website). I am not familiar with the different brands of Tesco stores. Quickly looking at their website reveals many types, but when I look at their store fronts they seam to have little differences.

[...]

But if I search for a place I will see that it is Ashbourne or other with the visible address, do we need to include the name?

All Tescos are owned by the same company (no franchising) so the only difference is size which comes with products availability, car park size (or presence), etc. The "grades" express, metro, superstore, extra, and I coincidentally realised the one you linked was missing so I added that.

As a sidenote, we're naming the first segment of large parking lots, and for POIs in a shopping centre like the above this could be added as the address. Making this particular example look like this:
[ img ]

johnsninja58 wrote:However I know with my recent travels I stayed at a Maldron Hotel in Dublin and this does become quickly confusing on which one to is the correct one

[...]
Maldon @ the Airport - Might benefit from including in the name Dublin Airport?
Maldron elsewhere in Dublin

Which actually brings up my first suggested place
Maldron Hotels - Name: Maldron Hotels - (Location Name), Category: Hotel, A/P: Area Place, Website: https://www.maldronhotels.com/

Interesting view from a visitor's eyes. We would rarely have a hotel in Dublin as our destination so thanks for the input.

For the Dublin Airport one, it's visible in the address (as a city). Wouldn't that be sufficient for the search results?
[ img ]

That said, it's probably better to add location names for hotels in general. I'll add your suggestion in to the list. Just one thing on the URL I find them easier to the eye as short as possible so I'd suggest to go with https://maldronhotels.com. Any thoughts?
YanisKyr
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Next

Return to Ireland