Eircode for Places

Post by YanisKyr
There is no particular place to put the Eircode (post code) for Waze places, so I recently thought of adding them as an alternative name as they are used in searches.

For example:

What are your thoughts on this? :ugeek:
YanisKyr
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1

POSTER_ID:4729966

Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... r-N-N5.gif
Coordinator & Booster for Cyprus | CM for Ireland | GC for the entire world

Post by davidg666
YanisKyr wrote:There is no particular place to put the Eircode (post code) for Waze places, so I recently thought of adding them as an alternative name as they are used in searches.

For example:

What are your thoughts on this? :ugeek:
I don't see that it's necessary at all, as long as Waze is using Google as a search backend, because it's already possible to enter any Eircode and get an exact location.

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
YanisKyr wrote:Well, if the user selects the Google Maps result, they will be navigated to the point in Google Maps. Ignoring our entry points etc.
Didn't think of that, but that's just true for Places that have an entry point.

The most useful case for using Eircodes for navigation (for me anyway) is to houses, where there is no Place. In any case, I'mm never conscious of whether I'm choosing the Waze result or the Google result, especially with Carplay. I just enter my search term, hit the first result that makes sense (if the search term was an Eircode, there should be only one), and go.

I just realised that your original question was for Waze Places. How about putting it on one test Place - such as the hotel in your example - and seeing how it affect navigation compared to another similar Place without the code?

It might be necessary to put the code but with (eg "K67 T6P6") and without (eg "K67T6P6") the space, to cover both ways a user might enter the code.

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
YanisKyr wrote:Nice point about the space! The search engine figures it out for the Gmaps results but not for the Waze one. This might be a point for HQ to further improve search.
Excellent! When I saw your post I was about to comment about the space being necessary to get the right result, but you already checked for that.

I imagine the no-space format is more likely to be entered by users than with-space, but that's just a guess.

I can't imagine Waze HQ being too interested in any special processing to handle quirks of Irish Eir/post codes, considering how many users would be affected by it - but it's also not handy for editors to have to enter the code in both formats.

We can still ask though! Before we do, however, do you want to add the eircode twice to a Place - with and without the space - to check that both versions resolve to the same place?

BTW, with the iOS (non-beta) client, I don't get the blue filling for Waze results, so I can't tell the difference. I can't imagine most users would notice it anyway.

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by YanisKyr
Well, if the user selects the Google Maps result, they will be navigated to the point in Google Maps. Ignoring our entry points etc.
YanisKyr
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by YanisKyr
I saved that example the other day and coincidentally this morning's map tiles update covered it.

So searching for this example Eircode, we get 2 results (pins with blue "filling" are from Waze, the other ones are from Google Maps). The Waze pin drops at the entry point, and the Gmaps pin matches the location of Gmaps POI.

Nice point about the space! The search engine figures it out for the Gmaps results but not for the Waze one. This might be a point for HQ to further improve search.
YanisKyr
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by YanisKyr
Sure thing, I added the Eircode without a space as an extra alternative name in the particular example we used so far.
YanisKyr
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message