Post by voludu2
Thanks Nick and Alan for getting the ball rolling here. I have begun to combine what you have both written with the current page here, including one of Alan's illustrations.
I'm going through the current illustrations to see which can be updated from cross-street to node closure.

https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Us ... de_closure

As for the advice on creating a "fake" segment to hold a node closed when none of the actual segments are closed - it seems to me that it could take a few days to work out guidance on this, so I'd like to leave that out for the moment. We can get the rest in, and add that later.
-------
My own opinion is that "fake segment node closure" could turn out to be very useful in certain situations, and that it is sometimes less destructive than disconnecting all the segments at the intersection, and if there is no naationwide consensus, we will have to leave GUIDANCE on this technique up to the regions. We may wind up putting INFORMATION about the technique into this page, especially since staff seem to have recommended it, with the note that editors should not apply this technique without first checking on regional guidance.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Jay - please make your improvements right in the draft wiki page.

I created it because I could not edit either Nick's draft or Alan's draft.
Wiki is easier because everyone can contribute.
We can always argue afterwards :)
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
In order to avoid confusion, I have merged the histories of the two wazeopedia drafts together.
The result is User:Subs5/Real time closures. The links in the forum still work - both User:Voludu2/Real time closures and User:Subs5/Node Closurs now automatically redirect to the merged page.

You can see the differences between any two versions of the page by going to the page's "History" tab, selecting the two versions you want to compare, and hitting the "compare" button.
So, for example, the differences between Subs5's most recent edit and my most recent edit (which also includes an edit by Jaywazin) is https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/in ... did=171513

You can see that these changes include necessary changes to other parts of the page.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I'd say yes to both. Go for it.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I have changed a paragraph on closing edited segments and nodes - I also rearranged the information in the section to separate "what happens" from "how to" instructions.
If a segment is disconnected from one node, attached to a different node, or is involved in roundabout creation, even though the segment ID is preserved, it may not be possible to apply the desired closure to the segment. WME may allow application of a closure that extends no more than 48 hours into the future. When a segment has been attached to a different node (identified by its node ID), attempts to use the segment to close this "new" node may instead result in closure of the node formerly attached to the same end of the segment.
Closing recently edited segments and nodes

I think this reflects what we've observed lately working with segment and node closures.

I have followed some of the other recent edits with some rewording or reorganization of the information, without changing the meaning or any guidance.
* Here is a link to a list of my recent changes.
* Here is a link comparing this draft to the currently published page

If there are no objections, I'd like to take this page live now. I propose doing it in a way that preserves all the edit history.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Sure. "Do Not" could be encouraging to a lot of people. The word count there could be cut down. I'd like to include node closures in the warning we already had that removing closures, doing a bunch of edits, and trying to re-apply closures won't always go as expected.

How about the section (already existing) that recommends making use of the "can only apply closures less than 48 hours duration after a node change" specifically for creating a new roundabout at an existing closed intersection and then reapplying the segment closures to the incoming segments?

Should this stay in or go out?
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I have merged the edits made in draft into the published version.

We can still keep improving the page.

John - where would you begin?
voludu2
Send a message