[Script] WME Validator Localization for Ireland

Post by lsin023
What is WME Validator?
This script validates a map area in Waze Map Editor (WME), highlights issues and generates a very detailed report with Wiki references and solutions (more info).
The list of validations can be found here.

What is WME Validator Localization for Ireland package?
Localization package is a script that tunes WME Validator up for Ireland.
The script can enable/disable checks, set params and exceptions.

There are two types of localization packages:
  1. Built-in or default packages (come bundled with WME Validator).
  2. External or user packages (the subject of this post):
    a) user packages with params and translations
    b) user packages just with params
User packages have higher priority, so they can override default options.

In Ireland, it checks if M/N/R road names and types (Motorway/MajorHighway/MinorHighway) are correctly set (built-in package)[Thanks to David!]

To help our Editors to detect those incorrectly named streets in WME, an external/user WME Validator Localization for Ireland package has been created. This package is likely to be integrated with WME Validator once we are satisfied with the set of additional local checks.

How to install the WME Validator Localization for Ireland package?
  1. Install the required WME Validator (if not installed - Firefox requires the User Script Manager below to be installed first)
  2. Install the required User Script Manager for your internet browser (if not installed)
  3. Install the script from WME Validator Localization for Ireland
  4. Launch the User Script Manager Dashboard (Tampermonkey/Greasemonkey) and make sure WME Validator Localization for Ireland script is there.
  5. (Re)load Waze Map Editor
Resources:
IE Wazeopedia - list of abbreviations
GSheet - list of abbreviations and TTS
Waze Forum Abbreviations/TTS thread
Tim's overview of incorrectly named roads in Ireland(Unfortunately outdated in 2020).

Your suggestions are welcome! ;)
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:16937347

Send a message
Last edited by lsin023 on Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Post by davidg666
YanisKyr wrote:Hi guys, I'm going to revive this old thread to discuss some changes to the Irish Localisation script.
I stopped using Validator when it stopped being supported (even though I know it's back again), so I've been using Toolbox ever since, however:
YanisKyr wrote:It's been quite some time since we discussed the topic with Stan in London, but here goes:

1. allow greater than ">" on ramps
2. allow comma "," on ramps
3a. allow "Park" after Car, Bus, Business, Industrial, Technology, Enterprise, Retail, Office, Logistics, Commercial, National, Forest
3b. allow "Park" as a first word (e.g. Park Rd)
4. flag "parking" (should be "Car Park")
5. fix narrow street (it's currenty highlighted as "non-drivable segment makes a junction with a drivable segment")
6. flag "St" (without a dot) at the beginning of street/place names - dozens of churches missing the dot
7. allow short names (i.e. Emo, UCD, Top are all ok)
I approve of all of these. I can think of a couple of others (just off the top of my head), but they may already be part of Validator or part of our localisation package:

8. Flag motorways that contain anything after "Mxx N/S" - they shouldn't contain road names.
9. (maybe) flag city names that are longer than three words long. The reason for this is that we have a few "cities" that have just been created to make something stand out on the map, but they're not actually cities.
10. (maybe, if it's even possible) flag changes in motorway names (such as "M7 W" changing to "M7 S"), although this may be valid in a few cases.
11. Verify (this used to be the case with our localisation; is it still true?) that major highways begin with "Nxx", and that roads that begin with "Nxx" are major highways.
12. Similarly (may also already be the case), verify that minor highways begin with "Rxxx" and that roads that begin with "Rxxx" are minor highways.
13. (probably already the case) verify that roundabout segments have no name.
14. (if it's possible) flag segments that have a city name that don't touch any other segment with the same city name. Should catch single-segment cities (which is sometimes valid, but often not valid).
15. Flag segments with clearly invalid speed limits, such as non-motorway segments with speed limits above 100 and less than minor highway segments with speed limits above 80.
16. Flag segments with speed limits that aren't a multiple of 10.

I could probably think of others if I wasn't writing this in a hurry :)

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
'morning!
lsin023 wrote:Can we capitalize "m" in "Tig mo Chroí"? Any rules against it?
As we discussed out of band, here's my stream of consciousness from the time:

I’d lower case it ... I think. It means “my” (Tig mo Chroí” means “house of my heart “). ‘an’ is the indefinite article though and ‘na’ is either the plural of that or the indefinite article in the genitive case, so I’d definitely lower case those. So, I’m changing my mind: it should be “Mo”, so “Tig Mo Chroí”, not “Tig mo Chroí”. Feels like a fairly unusual one anyway.

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
YanisKyr wrote:
davidg666 wrote: 16. Flag segments with speed limits that aren't a multiple of 10.
I had a look at the items we flagged back in the day, and this particular one might need an amendment. There are PR and PLR with speed limits of 15/25. The only kind of issues I've bumped on are miles/km conflicts when users set the speed in mph but it's displayed in kph. Pretty rare though.

I'd change the definition to multiples of 5 or 10.
Didn't we have a debate at some point in the past as to whether speed limit signs on private roads (and thus not erected by a local authority) had any legal standing?

I can't remember the outcome of that debate. Did we decide to map those speed limits anyway, so that users would see on their Waze display what the signs showed?

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
YanisKyr wrote:
davidg666 wrote:Did we decide to map those speed limits anyway, so that users would see on their Waze display what the signs showed?
Yeah, I think this is where we ended up.
I vaguely recall one very odd speed limit sign — I think it was for 16km/h (must have been a direct literal conversation from 10mph) — around Mountyjoy prison. Even if it's still there (I can't find it now), it could be ignored if Validator notices it.

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by Kevintiobraid
5. fix narrow street (it's currenty highlighted as "non-drivable segment makes a junction with a drivable segment"
Do you mean that a "narrow street" will no longer be highlighted as an error?
Personally I'd prefer to keep this. I've seen a good few cases (in the UK) where a new editor has changed a road type to Narrow Street, when its a perfectly driveable road, causing routing problems. Ireland would be susceptible to this (although I haven't seen any local cases) due to the number of boreens in the countryside that someone might incorrectly change to a narrow street.
Kevintiobraid
Area Manager
Area Manager
Answers: 3
Send a message
Kevin
https://s.waze.tools/s0300.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/c5.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/p1000.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/betc.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/beta.png

AM for South Tipperary, Waterford, South Kilkenny, Derby, Nottingham, Lincoln, Swansea, Cardiff, Bristol, Bath, London
Pixel 7

Post by lsin023
YanisKyr wrote:Hi guys, I'm going to revive this old thread to discuss some changes to the Irish Localisation script.

It's been quite some time since we discussed the topic with Stan in London, but here goes:

1. allow greater than ">" on ramps
2. allow comma "," on ramps
(...)
Started to update... ;)
1. I believe that ">" is already allowed
2. [Added] "," allowed in Road names
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by lsin023
Irish..
Hi guys,
Can we capitalize "m" in "Tig mo Chroí"? Any rules against it?
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by lsin023
YanisKyr wrote:3a. allow "Park" after Car, Bus, Business, Industrial, Technology, Enterprise, Retail, Office, Logistics, Commercial, National, Forest
3b. allow "Park" as a first word (e.g. Park Rd)
Done
I use Regex Negative Lookbehind (ES2018) which is implemented in Chrome 62+, Firefox 78+ (available on 29/06/20), Edge 79+, Opera 49+. Sorry, no Safari or IE. Full compatibility table here
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by lsin023
YanisKyr wrote:4. flag "parking" (should be "Car Park")
Done (road names only, not places)
Named PLRs are also flagged from now on following the 06/2020 update on Wazeopedia Ireland - PLR
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message