Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by kumiankka
IamtheLexx wrote:Permalink

The same issue continues, I'm not sure if there is a way to indicate a left turn lane at the intersection.
See the lane guidance knowledge base. It tells how to add lanes to a "H" intersection like the one you are working with:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cXl ... BgXkg/edit

Basically, you have to add three lanes to Av O'Brien, with the two leftmost lanes heading straight forward, and then add two more lanes to the median segment connecting Av O'Brien and Av Sainte-Croix, with one lane turning left and another heading straight. Also, to make the automatic arrow merging heuristics work, make sure that the median segment length and angle falls within the accepted values (that is, less than 30 meters long and deviation less than 15 degrees, or so, the KB doesn't reveal exact figures) .

By default, turn arrow shape depends on the related junction node angle but it can be forced by clicking the arrow next to the check boxes.

So, with all the lanes and forced arrows, the end result could look like something like this

(made using WME practice mode where I can edit outside my editing area)
avobrien1.png
From Av O'Brien to right on Boul de la Côte-Vertu
(14.68 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
avobrien2.png
From Av O'Brien to straight on Av Sainte-Croix and left on Boul de la Cote-Vertu
(14.24 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
kumiankka
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Answers: 1
Send a message
Last edited by kumiankka on Tue May 12, 2020 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by kumiankka
spookyx wrote:I found a bug in WME regarding editing lanes:

https://www.waze.com/ro/editor?env=row& ... =390375254

As you can see the turn left (lane override) is after slight left...

Even what is shows at the moment is wrong and there should be a conflict.

The proper order should be (from right to left):
- lane 1: right (to Str. Floare de Vârf) and straight (to Șos. Alexandria)
- lane 2: straight (to Șos. Alexandria) and slight left (to Șos. București-Măgurele)
- lane 3: slight left (to Șos. București-Măgurele) and left (to No name street)
- lane 4: left (to No name street)

... but I can not set it like this, like on the other side where it sees the right order of streets:

https://www.waze.com/ro/editor/?env=row ... =161404263
The angle of the turn to the no-name street is the difference between two sides of the Șos. Alexandria. You have to add dog leg to that no-name street to make it 90 degree left turn. You cannot do it using overrides.
capture.png
(109.81 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
kumiankka
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by kumiankka
Please correct if I'm wrong but currently, when there is no lanes added to a segment, Waze displays lanes of the next segment even before driver arrives on that segment. This can cause confusion when displayed lanes guidance is in conflict with what the driver should do next.

My suggestion is (even this is no suggestion thread) that default behaviour is changed so that lanes are displayed only when driver arrives on the segment and not beforehand. In case lanes of the next segment must be displayed, a new attribute called "No lanes" should be implemented for WME lanes tab. This attribute, when added to a segment with no lanes, would make Waze to show lanes of the next segment. Thus, it would behave just like "No street" street name attribute that makes Waze to display name of the next segment.

This "No lanes" attribute added to the preceding segment would solve problems caused by, e.g. parking lot road or city border or speed limit change before an intersection, that normally would leave too short of a segment for lanes guidance to be useful (and which I presume is the reason why lanes are displayed beforehand in the first place).
kumiankka
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by kumiankka
sketch wrote:Relying on editors to check boxes on every single segment would just be too much work and incompatible with a lot of existing mapped lanes.
Not every single segment would need changes. Only if a segment is too short (for whatever reason) for lanes guidance to be useful and the preceding segment does not have lanes (for whatever reason). Only those areas would need to be fixed. Many of the already mapped lanes would work fine as-is.
kumiankka
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by kumiankka
WazingArch wrote:Hi, how do we map u-turns and corresponding lanes in #junctions - using the first or second middle segment. Using the first segment is closer to the real driving but lane heuristics seem not to work.
Waze_Map_Editor_1.jpg
Heuristics will work only when U-turn goes via second segment and visually it does not matter which one is used. Roads on the client screen are so fat it is practically impossible to tell them apart unless the junction is at least twice as big as your example. See it yourself. Open that junction in the app and try to see if you can spot any noticeable difference in driving paths between first and second segment.
kumiankka
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by kumiankka
WazingArch wrote:Yes, we can live the way it is, but it is a shame that Waze, being a dedicated driving nav app with global support, can't refine its algorithms in order to offer the best experience in this field. It is kind of disappointing for all of us as their diehard supporters.
And that's not the only problem with lanes and U-turns. There is also conflict between double-left/median U-turn prevention logic limits and lanes heuristics limits. Lanes will work on # or H junctions up to 50 meters in size and up to 15 degrees off right-angle, whereas U-turn prevention will only work on # or H junctions up to 15 meters in size and 5 degrees off parallel. So, if you need both, lanes and U-turn prevention, you cannot have junction over 15 meters in size without using Junction Box, which is a lvl 5+ tool.
kumiankka
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by kumiankka
sketch wrote:The 15 m U turn prevention was never really intended to be a user-edited thing, even though we have been using it for years. Junction Box really is the correct tool to prevent U turns on wide roads, and we should use it for that.

There is not really any reason for JB to be L5+ only, it's L4+ in the US and that has worked well for us. For what it's worth.
I fully agree. If only we could convince our local community leaders that JB should be lowered to L4 (*cough* @ranttine *cough* @Karstunen *cough* ;) )
kumiankka
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by kumiankka
ranttine wrote:Without special lanes this cannot be mapped correctly.

Currently we have just ignored the bus/taxi-lane.
The attachment Screenshot 2020-09-11 at 13.16.42.png is no longer available
This might seem a bit crazy arrangement but the traffic lights are correctly timed - I hope :)
capture.jpg
Don't cross the streams
(79.22 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
kumiankka
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message