Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Passing of A. J. Ross - Ituajr

Post by LostInMyMaps

It is with an extremely heavy heart that I regret to inform the community of the passing of ituajr, affectionately known amongst the Waze Australia community as AJ, at the age of 73 in hospital.

AJ started editing with Waze in 2011. AJ was an incredibly active member of the Waze Australia community, collecting 2,600,763 driving points, 667,436 edits, and 4,164 forum posts. His community-minded spirit enjoyed helping people, he was always accessible, had a passion for logic and debate, backed with a quick wit and wonderful sense of humour.
  • In March 2018, his long-standing efforts helping the community were rewarded with his promotion to Country Manager.
  • In Oct 2018, AJ stepped up to the plate of Australian Coordinator and promoted to level 6, with the resounding support of the active Australian editors asking for him to lead us.
  • In May 2019, he was welcomed into the most elite group of Waze editors and recognised experts, becoming a Global Champ.
His wife Ursula, relayed the following:
He really enjoyed his involvement in the Waze Community and while in hospital he asked me to pass on his very best wishes to all for the future.
It has been on honour and absolute privilege to have known, and worked with him, and I offer my deepest sympathies to his wife Ursula, his daughter Lee, friends, and his fellow editors during his difficult time. He will be greatly missed.

Some of you might remember AJ teaching us about trap streets? As a valued and long-standing member of our community, the Waze community managers have agreed to memorialise AJ into our map with a trap street named after him and locked to level 7, so years from now people will know of AJ and his contributions. You can find Ituajr Place, the trap street, in a neighbourhood in his city.
LostInMyMaps
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 7
Answers: 7

POSTER_ID:17551969

Send a message
Brendan (LostInMyMaps)
Global Champ, Coordinator, Volunteer Map Editor
Waze Australia

https://i.imgur.com/pdUHgo3.png

Join me in the Waze Australia Discord Server | Australia Wiki | New Aussie Editor Link

Post by JoeRodriguez12
My condolences to the AU Community and to AJ's friends and family. He was a great editor to work with and will live on in our community
JoeRodriguez12
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
US Global Champ: USA
Regional Coordinator: GLR
GLR Collaboration Liaison - Waze Socks Guy
iOS Beta Leader / Alpha Tester

https://a18ed246-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.goo ... directs=00
Welcome Page Illinois Michigan
Illinois Waze Facebook Illinois Waze Twitter

Post by JustinS83
My sympathies and condolences to the AU community and his family. Being from across the world I didn't get to work with AJ much but I always enjoyed our talks; he was a well spoken, knowledgeable, and great to work with.

RIP AJ. You will be missed.
JustinS83  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kahlcolimon
A greeting of respect and gratitude to our colleague. Thank you for your contribution and rest in peace.
kahlcolimon
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Kahl Colimon
Waze Colombia Coordinator/Waze Global Champ
Country Manager/First Responder Member
App Beta Leader/WME Beta Tester

https://s.waze.tools/gc.png

Post by Lasher67
I’m absolutely shocked. What a major loss to the Waze community, and so sudden from a forum/Discord/community perspective. No signs at all. Big shoes to fill...
Lasher67
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
https://s.waze.tools/c3s.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/am.png
Lasher67 (Matthew)

Qld Area Manager (Australia)

Post by ldriveskier
I was saddened to hear of AJ's loss. I've watched the Australian community grow and flourish with AJ's guidance. He was always an advocate for Waze and I could tell he cared deeply about doing things the right way. My sincerest condolences to AJ's family and the Australian community.
ldriveskier
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by lunarplexus
This is so very sad. Our deepest condolences to the Australian community and his family and friends from the whole Indian community.
lunarplexus
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wazers, keep on Wazin'!

Lunarplexus
Level 5 Editor | Area Manager: New Delhi NCR | Country Manager: India
Platform: iOS on iPhone 14

Post by LysdexiaEht
I met AJ while on holiday last year, he and his wife are such amazingly genuine beautiful people, AJ will be greatly missed and my sincerest, most heartfelt condolences.

Rest In Peace :dino:
LysdexiaEht
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message
Michael (LysdexiaEht)
Country Manager (AU), Volunteer Map Editor
Waze Australia

Post by MaccaBecca
So sorry to hear. I had no idea there was anything wrong with him :(
MaccaBecca