Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by turbomkt
If the standard is "The Point Marker is the stop point" (which is the standard I use), I think the note should be
[quote]<b>Note:</b> you should be sure to also move the stop point for the place if one has been added[\quote]

To me the statement as it was is contradictory to the standard of the "Point Marker is the stop point".
turbomkt  
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 17
Send a message
--Mike
RC for Northwest Region (NWR Discord)
ARC for Southwest Region (SWR Discord)

Post by turbomkt
My take on the entire point placement entry is that adding a stop point is not the norm.
The Point Place should go on or very near to the segment to which the driver should be navigated.
The Point Marker is the stop point.
If my interpretation is correct, the decision should be made that this is no longer the standard. The wording as suggested,"The Point Marker acts as the default stop point until a stop point has been added.", does not convey that idea. "Unless" gives a little more wiggle room.

I know that many editors have taken to adding a stop point to every point place because they believe it fixes routing problems. I think I have seen one example of this.

The bottom line, is if changes are going to be made I'd like to get clarification on national policy as far as adding stop points to PPs is concerned (MEP is not an option that I know of, so shouldn't be discussed for PPs).
turbomkt  
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
--Mike

Post by turbomkt
I'm still not sure where we explicitly require entry points on all RPPs other than a process for creating an RPP that is normally hidden and appears to not match the visible guidance section of the article.

There are two points of extra work:
a. At creation adding an entry point.
b. After the fact, adding an entry point to an unknown number of places across the country.

For a. Yes, not much extra work. But it's not "Simple" and fixes what, exactly? For anyone not running scripts, you can't see that there is an entry point, or where it is, without selecting the place. So there is now extra work after the fact when trying to troubleshoot routing to a place.

For b...I'm sure we would couch the guidance to match grilling parking lots. Don't go on a crusade, but do add them as you come across them.
turbomkt  
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
--Mike

Post by voludu2
In line with Subs5's initial suggestion for updating RPP:

What_is_the_Residential_setting.3F_Private_and_public_places
I suggest something similar to subs5's suggested wording, with a reference to the more complete section on RPPs.
What is a Residential Place?
Waze team announced that they initially added this type of place for users who wanted to add private or residential places like their own home or "Mom's House" to the map instead of to their favorites within the app. The names of these places are removed, and the identity of the waze user who added it is kept out of the venue history, if they added the place from the mobile app. These places are generally referred to as residential point places, but are also widely used for non-residential addresses in cases where a stop point on the named street would not be a good idea.
Please see [[#Residential place points]] for more information
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I added the new category Carpool Point, with guidance -- do not use, as per staff comment that they are currently doing some testing. I expect this guidance may change in the future.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Regarding the MEP discussion:

At this time, I would recommend making sure that the first few lines of this section make very clear what actually happens in-app.
1) the production Waze app will route to the first-added entry point, regardless of which point (if any) is marked main
2) It is OK to add additional entry points in anticipation of future enhancements to the application. If drivers need to search for these other locations (North Gate, Food Court entrance, etc), then separate place points are required
_________
If you want to create 3 entry points, none of which are "main", then create 4 points and delete the first one. The production app will then direct wazers to the entry point you created second. If you then set the 4th-created point to "main", waze will still direct wazers to the second-created entry point.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Regarding the point placement discussion:

Should we stop using the term "stop point"? The WME interface now calls this the "entry point".
Wouldn't it be easier to switch to using the term editors actually see?
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I'd like to make a change to guidance for Farms. Currently, guidance says we should not have farms on the map.
But a farm is a type of business. Businesses take deliveries from their suppliers and do business with their customers, and are often located pretty far up an unnamed side street or long driveway. And I hate to see "Redman Farms" repeatedly deleted from the map in Kent County MD. :D
I propose the line in the point or area table be changed to
Natural FeatureFarmPoint
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Because it is simply factual and represents no change in guidance, I added the following line to this page (see discussion in discord).
You cannot perform a place merge if any of the selected places are locked above your rank or you are not a trusted editor
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Per the discussion above, I have made this change to the page:
Natural FeatureFarmPoint
[/quote]
voludu2
Send a message